I Have A UTI, What Do I Do: 6 Ways To Deal With Your Urinary Tract Infection
Posted in Female Sexual I... by Dr. Sharon Orrange on Mar 03, 2011
At some point, most women will know what it’s like to have a UTI: you feel like you have to urinate constantly, there is burning and pain during urination and you will feel like you have to pee again even when you just finished. Then, the discomfort escalates and you may even urinate blood.

UTIs happen in women because the urethra is short, making the entry of gut bacteria into the urinary bladder a straight easy shot. Now what?
1) When you start to feel the discomfort embark on your own measures to suppress it: drink lots of water, contact your doctor’s office early and report your symptoms. If you are uncomfortable you can buy over the counter pyridium (uristat) which helps the pain but does not treat the infection.

2) Your doctor’s office may or may not ask you to be seen for a urinalysis. Some will call in antibiotics to the pharmacy over the weekend or after hours without a visit if you have classic symptoms.

Without a fever, nausea or vomiting this is considered an “uncomplicated UTI” and here are the best options for treatment:

3) Nitrofurantoin monohydrate (Macrodantin) 100 mg twice daily for 5 days is a good first choice since there is minimal bacterial resistance.

4) Bactim DS (trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole) is convenient because it’s a three day course and works as well as nitrofurantoin. The downside is bacterial resistance which can be as high as 20-30% in some communities; this means you won’t get better on this treatment. Also, many people have sulfa allergies and cannot take Bactrim.

5) Ciprofloxacin and levofloxacin are highly effective in 3-day regimens but again there is the possibility of bacterial resistance.

6) When the above listed choices can’t be used Augmentin, amoxicillin, ampicillin or Keflex can be used but generally have inferior effectiveness compared to the above listed choices.

“I don’t want another one.” Here are some tips: pee after having intercourse, drink lots of water and drink Cranberry juice. Cranberry juice inhibits attachment of bacteria to the inside of the bladder and urethra.

Good luck,
Dr O.

7
I am on an anticoagulant and also have UTI with symptoms persisting after a 7=day course of cephalexin. Discuss antibiotics and interaction with Coumadin, please.
By promisegirlfarmgmail  Jun 16, 2013
6
I struggled with what I thought were UTIs for many years. I actually have IC, interstitial cystitis. I use supplements for this and do not have to use prescriptions to treat it. And I am NOT a believer in supplements, but amazingly these work. I use Cysto-Protek and Marshmallow Root capsules (you can order both on Amazon.com). There are ingredients that help to line the inside of your bladder to get rid of the symptoms that (in my case) mimic a UTI. These are not expensive, and I STRONGLY recommend trying these if you are ever diagnosed with IC. These, of course, will not treat an actual bacterial infection. But I believe I was given Macrodantin WAY too many times over the years when I didn't actually have a bacterial infection.
By classicgirl35  Mar 04, 2011
5
By classicgirl35  Mar 04, 2011
4
So often on DS people respond to posts from Doctors about our "take" from prescription meds. Doctors dont make any money for prescribing drugs and the above listed antibiotics are all generics which are cheap, safe and well tested. I am sorry to hear the first story about pulm fibrosis (?) from macrodantin that would be the first time Ive heard of that happening. While it is true some doctors publish research that is sponsored by pharmaceutical companies most academic centers, including the one where I am on faculty, no longer accept drug reps in the facility...no pens/lunches/books/dinners and certainly nobody is on the "take."
Its time to stop that reflex response many have whenever we talk about medications.....
Dr O.
By DrOrrange  Mar 04, 2011
3
It is such a shame the medical community added so many toxins to increase their taking. If you have a uti, drink cranberry juice and eat craisens. make your own from berries if you can.
eat an apple a day. and stay away from mds!
By dewounded  Mar 04, 2011
2
Never use Macrodantin for more then 5 - 7 days. My wife used it for 1 to 2 years with no doc warning of side affects and it killed her. Turned lungs to fiber and died after 28 days in ICU. Check internet for warnings. Death certificate and autopsy say likely due to Macrodantin.. Never use . never use PLEASE STOP Never use . Killed wife Stop want more info rjroeder1@yahoo.com Law suit now starting. Died Nov14 2010 Never use unless you want to die ,contact for more info. Stop use
By bobjan  Mar 03, 2011
1
asda
By Markoneil3  Mar 03, 2011

Abstinence & Celibacy
Brain Injury
Female Sexual Issues
Gastric Bypass Surgery
Healthy Sex
Infertility
Infertility, Secondary
Lupus
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
Pregnancy
Pregnancy - Teens
Pregnancy After Loss/Infertility
Pulmonary Embolism
Senior Dating & Sexuality
Sexually Transmitted Diseases - Female
Spina Bifida
Teen Sexuality
Urinary Incontinence