Hooked on Pot? Successful Treatment Found for Marijuana Abuse
Posted in Marijuana Addic... by Dr. Sharon Orrange on Dec 21, 2012
Cannabis use disorders (abuse or dependence) are present in 4% of adolescents and 6% of young adults. There really aren’t any medication options for the treatment of marijuana dependence. Now, this has changed.

A cheap, safe, and easy antioxidant medication, Acetyl cysteine (NAC,) has been shown to be effective for the treatment of cannabis dependence. Previous studies have suggested using NAC as a potential treatment for addictive disorders, including cannabis dependence. The science behind this is the neurotransmitter glutamate which has emerged as a potential target in the treatment of addictions. NAC works by reversing drug-induced down regulation of the glutamate exchanger which reduces compulsive drug seeking behavior.

Adolescents aged 15 to 21 with marijuana dependence took eight weeks of NAC capsules 1200 mg or placebo twice daily. Patients receiving NAC had more than twice the odds of having negative urine drugs test results during treatment. Forty-one percent of urine tests in the NAC group were negative compared to 27 percent in the placebo group. Importantly, NAC was well tolerated with minimal side effects.

As always, further trials are needed to confirm this promising finding. Because NAC is so well tolerated it’s a nice option for dependence on marijuana when psychosocial intervention alone hasn’t been enough.

Thoughts?

- Dr. O

8
Where can I get NAC? Mj isnt legal here and it causes inertia in my daughter. She is nice on it, but the risks and effects are not worth it.
By macnote  Dec 29, 2012
7
reaLLY ITS NOT HARD TO QUIT YOU MIGTH BE CRABBY FOR A FEW DAYS NONE NEEDS A MED TO COUNTERACT WEED THIS IS RIDICULOUS ITS NOT HARMFUL,
THERE NO WAY I WOULD TAKE A PILL INSTEAD.
I WAS SICK MOST THE TIME ON THEM I DONT LIKE PILLS THAT MESS WITH YOUR HEAD .
IT HELP WHAT IS SO WRONG WITH THAT I HAVE QUIT AND TYRED TO DO THE WAY MEDICAL PERSONS WAY I ENDED UP LAYING IN BED ALL DAY DOING NOTHING NOT WANTING TO DO NOTHING I FELT HORRIBLE BUT WHEN I WENT TO DOC SAID I WANTED OFF SHE TOLD ME I EITHER TAKE METHADONE OR NOTHING . I CHOSE NOTHING WILL IM OFF THOSE TYPE OF PILLS I FELL BETTER IM NOT SAYING IT HELPS ALL SOME ARE UNAFFECTED BY WEED ,
LET ME SEE HERE MANS MEDS OR GODS MEDS WHO WOULD YOU CHOOSE I CHOOSE GOD SO IN A WAY ITS MY CHOOSE BECAUSE OF MY BELIEFS .I DON'T THINK THERE'S A PILL THAT REALLY CUTS THE PAIN IN ALL HONESTY IM IN LESS PAIN DOING IT THIS WAY .
I HAVE HEARD THAT NOW THERE'S A STUDY THAT SAYS MOST ILLNESSES ARE CAUSED BY STRESS THAT JUST NOT TRUE ITS BUNK
By min60  Dec 28, 2012
6
if it aint broke dont fix it....
By ROZIA  Dec 25, 2012
5
it is ,legal to smoke pot in Amsterdam
Atlanta
By lockandkeys1  Dec 25, 2012
4
Oh that's lovely so instead of having something natural like a plant Dr. O suggests chemicals to put in your body in the form of pills. If people wanna stop smoking you just do it. I've been dependent on Marijuana & I feel like I can stop anytime, but suggesting pills/chemicals is NOT the answer. Pretty typical for a "Dr." To 'have a pill for that' treatment when it's so unhealthy taking pills.
By AdamTyler  Dec 24, 2012
3
are you sure it's not just somehow making the tests negative?
By justKate  Dec 24, 2012
2
Very good to know.
By EtherealTranquility  Dec 24, 2012
1
That stuff must be a miracle drug. I had a bad cold while traveling in Europe and then had a terrible cough that would not go away. A pharmacist in Italy gave me something called "Sobrepin" - which you cannot get in the US - but whose main ingredient is Acetyl cysteine. Nine tablets - three per day, for three days, with meals - and that cough was GONE. It's a shame that you can't get it here.

I'm not a pot smoker so I can't look at it from that angle.
By madbookworm  Dec 24, 2012

Cocaine Addiction & Recovery
Codependency
Families & Friends Of Addicts
Heroin Addiction & Recovery
Marijuana Addiction & Recovery
Meth Addiction & Recovery
Smoking Addiction & Recovery