Am I a chronic Hepatitis carrier?
Posted in Hepatitis B by Dr. Sharon Orrange on Feb 02, 2010
"Dear Dr. Orrange,

Please, can anyone tell me if I am a chronic or acute Hepatitis B carrier. My test results are:

HBsAg positive
Anti HBs negative
HBeAg negative (what does it mean?)

Also my husband results are:

HBsAg negative
Anti HBs negative
HBeAg negative

In my country, doctors are not so informed about Hep B and don't have have treatments for it. They can prescribe interferon but only to Hepatitis C patients.

My doctor cannot tell me if this is a recent infection, but my logic is; If I am chronic carrier, my husband would test Anti HBs positive. Can I be chronic and not passed the infection to him? I hope I am acute and will fight the virus off eventually.

I am also 31 weeks pregnant and want to know if I can keep my child's stem cells or is impossible because they are infected with the virus?

I will start boosting my immune system with a double dose of multivitamins, 1000 mg Vitamin C, what else can I do? I am really waiting for your answer, please help! Thank you in advance!

Happy and healthy New Year to all!

These questions are so important and blood tests for Hepatitis B are very complex. Let’s break down your results for full understanding of your current status and this may help others who face the same results.

HBsAg positive: HBsAg (Hepatitis B surface antigen) becomes positive 1 to 10 weeks after exposure to Hepatitis B virus. Persistence of (+) HBsAg for more than 6 months implies chronic infection. Less than 1% of immunocompetent adult patients with genuine acute Hepatitis B progress to chronic infection. Even with chronic HBV infection, patients can still clear a positive HBsAg at a rate of 0.5 percent per year.

Anti-HBs (Hepatitis B surface antibody) negative: In most patients, the disappearance of HBsAg (HBsAg negative) is followed by the appearance of Hepatitis B surface antibody (anti-HBs positive). In most patients, anti-HBs persist for life, thereby conferring long-term immunity. In your case, however, the fact that the antibodies are not positive indicates EITHER acute infection (where the antibodies have not yet cleared the antigen) OR chronic infection where your body has not made antibodies to the Hepatitis B virus and thus you are not immune. A repeat blood test for you in 6 months will help you figure that out and if your HBsAg remains positive you are a chronic inactive carrier.

HBeAg negative: To be negative is good here, a positive Hepatitis B e antigen (HBeAg) is generally considered to be a marker of HBV replication and infectivity. So, in other words, it helps distinguish chronic INACTIVE carriers from chronic ACTIVE carriers who may need treatment. The presence of HBeAg is usually associated with high levels of HBV DNA in serum and higher rates of transmission of HBV infection from carrier mothers to their babies.

What other test to you need? You need a test for Hepatitis B viral DNA (HBV DNA) and you need your liver function tests done (ALT and AST).
Inactive Hepatitis B Carriers: Assuming your 6 month follow up tests remain the same, and that your HBV DNA and liver tests are normal you would be considered an inactive carrier. HBeAg-negative patients who have normal serum ALT and low or undetectable HBV DNA are considered to be in an inactive carrier state. Inactive carriers have a good prognosis and antiviral treatment is not indicated. You do, however, need a repeat ALT +/- HBV DNA at three-month intervals during the first year. If you remain an inactive carrier you can be monitored at less frequent intervals. Additional tests for Hepatitis C and Hepatitis D should also be performed to rule out superinfection with other hepatitis viruses.

What does this mean for you during pregnancy? If your HBV DNA levels are low and your HBeAg remains negative, the risk of transmission to your baby is low. Your baby, as is true for all neonates born to HBsAg positive women, should receive HBIG (Hepatitis B immunoglobulin) and vaccine at birth.

What about your husband? Yes, Hepatitis B can be transmitted during sex but his lab results indicate he has not been infected so he MUST be vaccinated against Hepatitis B.

Dr. Orrange

CATEGORIES: Answers
CONDITIONS AND COMMUNITIES: Hepatitis B  •  Hepatitis C  •  Pregnancy  •  Pregnancy - Teens
TAGS: Therapies

7
Hi DR orange

My friend has a recent blood test and the result as follow similar to the above.

HBsAg : positive
Anti HBs : negative
HBeAg : negative
Anti HVC : negative

Base on the result above, the doctor suspect the patient has HIV and has ask the patient to undergo a HIV test. Does this sound right?
By Kevin121  Aug 07, 2012
6
i have a good news.
i was HBsAg positive, HBeAg positive, i was using pegasys and lamividin 48 weeks, after that i was HBsAg negative, HBeAg negative, anti-HBs negative and anti-Hbe negative, after 4 weeks i am anti-HBs ositive, titer 1000.
Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah
By hepdecko81  Jan 28, 2011
5
Dear Dr.,
thank you for your answer. My husbend have received first and second dose of the vacine, and now I am waiting for our second baby delivery.

I just got the results from Macedonian Academy of sciences for genetical enginering. They have made test for HBV with HBV / DNA / PRC (I dont know what does it mean?)
Analysis material: serum
Method: Amplicor HBV Monitor Kit; Roche Molecular systems, USA; PCR amplification to Hepatitis B virus

Result: The results have not shown presence of Hepatitis B virus.
date: 09-02-2010

Now, I am 38 weeks pregnant, and next weel am planing to do tests again at clinique for infectology in Macedonia, i.e. where the first time I was tested.
Can in the meantime someone tell me what these results mean?

from 29-12-09:
HBsAg positive
Anti Hbs tot negative
HBeAg negative
anti HCV negative

and now 09-02-10

HBV DNA PRC negative

Thank you soooo much for the support.
By biljana  Feb 13, 2010
4
It is very important that you don't share needles with anyone. Also do not share your razors with anyone either to avoid infecting them.
By Adm  Feb 03, 2010
3
Also it is very important that you use a condom if you are having sexual intercourse with your husband. This will reduce the chance of giving hepatitis to your spouse.
By Adm  Feb 03, 2010
2
and how good to hear that some people get the vaccine.. praise god. Thanks Dr.
By dewounded  Feb 02, 2010
1
how much does testing a lab results for this typically cost?
By dewounded  Feb 02, 2010

Hepatitis B
Hepatitis C
Pregnancy
Pregnancy - Teens