A List of Foods to Limit While On Warfarin or Coumadin
Posted in Deep Vein Throm... by Dr. Sharon Orrange on Aug 19, 2010
Foods that contain Vitamin K are known to alter the effectiveness of Warfarin (Coumadin). Studies have shown that 150 micrograms (mcg) per day of Vitamin K may lower your INR which can have dramatic consequences. The current daily amount of Vitamin K recommended in Coumadin patients is in the range of 60 to 80 micrograms a day.

Here are the foods you want to avoid or eat in moderation:

Loaded with Vitamin K!

• • Kale, frozen (cooked or boiled) 570 mcg in 1/2 cup

• • Kale, fresh (cooked or boiled) 530 mcg in 1/2 cup

• • Spinach, frozen (cooked or boiled) 514 mcg in 1/2 cup

• • Spinach raw 150 mcg vitamin K in 1 cup

• • Collard greens, frozen 530 mcg in 1/2 cup

• • Turnip greens frozen 425 mcg in 1/2 cup

• • Brussels sprouts, frozen 110 mcg in 1/2 cup

Kind of Loaded with Vitamin K!

• • Asparagus frozen (cooked) 4 spears 48 mcg

• • Asparagus fresh (cooked) 4 spears 30 mcg

• • Broccoli frozen 1/2 cup 60 mcg

• • Broccoli fresh 1/2 cup 52 mcg

• • Broccoli raw 1/2 cup 40 mcg

• • Lettuce (iceberg) 1/2 head 65 mcg

• • Lettuce (romaine) 1 cup 57 mcg

• • Cabbage (cooked) 1/2 cup 73 mcg

• • Coleslaw 3/4 cup 56 mcg

• • Peas green frozen 1/2 cup 18 mcg

• • Celery raw 1/2 cup 17 mcg

• • Oil Canola 1 tablespoon 17 mcg

• • Oil Olive 1 tablespoon 8 mcg

• • Green tea (brewed) 3.5 ounces 0.3 mcg

Vegetables are interesting but lack a sense of purpose when unaccompanied by a good cut of meat. ~Fran Lebowitz

Dr O.

CATEGORIES: Tips

13
The word is not avoidance, nor moderation,

it's CONSISTENCY!!!!
Be the same about your vegetable(greens) intake, yes learn which ones are high in vitamin K and manage your own HEALTHY diet.

The comments about being consistent are from DVT survivors, people that have had and survived DVTs and PEs.
By dero  Nov 28, 2010
12
Could we change the title of this post to
"Things not to do"?
By dero  Nov 28, 2010
11
Terrible article saying to avoid the healthiest foods there are and then finishing with an exaltation to eat meat - get real - I thought this was a medical page ? Seems to be based on out of date thinking . Please UPDATE this article to reflect more recent studies.
Great to see many more comments and could not agree more RE the China Study - BTW I am not a vegetarian either so this is not some "loopy vego rave".
By comatoes  Oct 30, 2010
10
being consistent with your vit K daily will keep your meds more stable. getting your blood tested weekly for your IRN will tell you if you are being consistent.
By polly james  Sep 04, 2010
9
I too disagree with the way this article is presented, and feel that it is a reflection of more antiquated thinking regarding diet and coumadin. Many years ago doctors did recommend avoiding these foods, but modern thinking is to eat CONSISTENTLY (not even necessarily "moderately"). INR will stay stable as long as we keep our diets consistent. It's far more important to have the benefits of the vegetables than to take that away just to make dosing coumadin easier. And what's up with that quote at the end? Vegetables are infinitely more interesting that meat....I'm not vegetarian, but I do love vegetables and they constitute the primary part of my diet, even as a patient on coumadin.
By ShilosMommy  Aug 20, 2010
8
See http://www.dailystrength.org/c/Deep...

Because there is a limit on how many words you can use here...
By dero  Aug 19, 2010
7
So what are the recommendations for a vegetarian?
By dero  Aug 19, 2010
6
Thanks you guys for reminding me how literally the word avoid will be taken. I, of course, would never tell any patient to forgo all veggies. It should be noted, however, that kale, turnip greens and collard greens should be eaten in VERY VERY small doses as you can see how much Vit K they contain. The hassle of coumadin is compounded when your INR varies and no question dietary intake of the above listed veggies can do that but of course EVERYTHING IN MODERATION.
Dr O.
By DrOrrange  Aug 19, 2010
5
Dr O.
By DrOrrange  Aug 19, 2010
4
... and NOT avoidance! Avoiding should be struck from that post!!
We all know that consistency is what is required, moderation can also be jumped over. If you eat a lot of veggies, what do you do?
Heaven forbids you should be a vegetarian...
Don't change a healthy diet for warfarin, let them adjust your dosage.
By dero  Aug 19, 2010
3
As a warfarin lifer, I don't avoid eating anything I enjoy. This list reflects the skewed thinking regarding warfarin management. Remember, it's about consistency and moderation.
By rmb  Aug 19, 2010
2
Do NOT eat any animal products if on blood thinners! Meat, dairy and eggs are the reasons you have these issues to begin with. Read the China Study by Dr T Colin Campbell, MD. You do NOT need to avoid the veggies listed; just eat them moderately. I agree with the comment to choose your words carefully. I also agree that veggies by themselves are fantastic- no meat necessary! All "diseases of affluence" are due to animal product consumption. countries with lower animal product consumption, also have much lower rates of stroke, high blood pressure, heart disease, cancer, diabetes, and obesity, just to name a few. See also the works of legendary physicians such as Dr Essylstein, Dr Ornish, and Dr Barnard. Follow their advice and you may be able to come off blood thinners one day.
By ChronicIL  Aug 19, 2010
1
.3 mcg of Green Tea is "kinda loaded"?
Word of advice from a warfarin lifer - Don't avoid any foods you enjoy eating, don't obssess over the vit k levels in your food, and ask your own doctor about your diet, instead of living by some random list of prohibited foods.
Dr. O - you need to choose your words carefully. It should not be FOODS to AVOID, but rather, FOODS to LIMIT. And even then, at .3mcg, I wouldn't call green tea a huge source of vit k.
And by the way, veggies by themselves are fantastic - no meat necessary!
By LauraLu  Aug 19, 2010

Congenital Heart Disease
Coronary Heart Disease
Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)
Heart Attack
Heart Failure
Lupus
Other Heart Problems
Pulmonary Embolism