10 Most Important Things I've Learned From Taking Care of People (A Dedication)
Posted in Caregivers by Dr. Sharon Orrange on May 03, 2011
With a royal wedding, tornados, three wars and our economy in the tank, I wanted to post some takeaway gems from patients who are struggling either medically, psychologically or financially. In yucky times you may gain strength from watching other folks get through it, and know you are not alone. Here are the reasons I am full of gratitude and lucky to have the job of primary care doctor.

1. Courage. When faced with cancer, chemotherapy, major surgery or death of a loved one, regular folks are amazing and full of courage. Last week one of my patients losing her hair from chemo, nauseated, with a mouth full of sores got up early to pick zucchini from her garden so she could bring me something-- zucchini bread. Watch a person who is terminally ill stay gracious, amazing and courageous and you will be uplifted.
    Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

2. Parents. No matter what age your parents are when they die, it will still rock your world. Don’t underestimate the effect it will have on you when your mom or dad passes away, even if they were 92. It’s a life changing experience whether it is expected or not and whether they are elderly or not. Reach out to others who can get you through the grieving.

3. Your body. Your body is a temple, not a toy. Snowboarders and marathoners (me included) beware. We have one body, that’s it. Treat it right or when you retire and take all of your fabulous trips your body will betray you. Oh my aching knees.

4. The big stuff. It’s the big things that matters. I am with a patient during their death and dying experience several times a month. I never hear: “I wish I had gone to such and such college,” or ”I wish I had bought that red house.” What I do hear is: “I wish I had more time with my kids,” or “I wish I had been more present because it goes so quickly.” Be present.

5. Reconcile. If you have been estranged from loved ones, reconcile. Make sure you have no regrets... please. I see this all the time.

6. Caretakers. If you are taking care of a loved one and facing the stress and depression that may go along with that, I want you to know you are the unsung heroes in medicine. If you are reading this and know someone who is a caretaker, do something nice for them today.

7. Sex. Many of my patients stop being sexually active. The reasons are varied and for some it is an older or medically challenged partner. I hope this is okay for them. I’m not saying go out and find a new partner, I’m saying make sure your sexual health is fulfilled in whatever way. And if it’s not, send a shout out to change it.

8. Job. So many of my patients hate their jobs. Every day I see the anxiety and depression some people face when they hate their jobs. If this is you, and you can’t leave your job for financial reasons, I say please take control of the things you can control: do the things you love to do, surround yourself with people who are supportive and love you, exercise, get enough sleep, eat the right things and don’t let your body feel the brunt of your career stress.

9. The moment. Take advantage of your “moment” whether it is to quit smoking, lose weight or leave a boyfriend you don’t like. It takes acting on that one strange moment that comes over you to just do it. Just do it. No matter what your doctor, family, and friends say it takes a moment for you to just want to do it.

10. What we can’t see coming. In a minute, it can be taken away. Tell your family you love them when you leave for work. Travel, laugh, dance in your living room. You never know and I’ve seen the worst things happen to the best people. The absolute best people.

I dedicate this blog to those people because they make this job a privilege.

Jump in.

Dr O.

4
Growth and giving back helps me deal with the myo/fibr pain every day since my diagnosis. After getting through all the doctors, tests and pills that didn't work for pain, I have found that learning a new thing every day, working with abused animals, being a companion for my 3 cats, and making amends and getting closer to my family has made my life fuller than it ever was before. Life is a gift and it is so true about recognizing that circumstances can change in a heatbeat
By Scappy  Jun 12, 2011
3
Caregiving for my mother has contributed to my stress during cancer treatment. I am making a decision today to turn her care over to God and others and pray that she enjoy whatever years she has left on this earth. Thanks for understanding the caregiver and encouraging us to hang in there.
By sjngotfire  May 08, 2011
2
Good advice for the most part. However, I tried reconciling with my parents and it didn't work too well!
By dkbraymond  May 08, 2011
1
How much truth there is in your statement about parents and how when they die, no matter their age, "it will rock your world." It describes what I went through when each of my parents, who were in their nineties, passed away. It changed my life profoundly and while I'm still grieving my mother's death a year and a half ago, at age 98, I have barely gotten over the loss of my father who died at 96. Although at times it felt like a burden in caring for them, without any sibling support, I would do it again in a heart beat and gratefully if I could have them back. As the song says “You don’t know what you lost until you’ve lost it.”
By TwoBsMom  May 04, 2011

Back Pain
Bereavement
Bereavement - Teens
Bladder Cancer
Bone Cancer
Breast Cancer
Career Changes
Caregivers
Caring For Aging Parents
Cervical Cancer
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia (CLL)
Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML)
Chronic Pain
Colon Cancer
Esophageal Cancer
Eye Cancers (Retinoblastomas)
Family & Friends of Cancer Patients
Fibromyalgia
Financial Challenges
Foster Care
Gastric Cancer
Head and Neck cancers
Kids With Cancer
Liver Cancer
Lung Cancer
Male Breast Cancer
Medicare
Oral Cancer
Ovarian Cancer
Pancreatic Cancer
Prostate Cancer
Pulmonary Fibrosis
Renal Cell Carcinoma (Kidney Cancer)
Rheumatoid Arthritis
Senior Health & Aging
Skin Cancer
Teens With Cancer
Testicular Cancer
The Financial Crisis
Thyroid Cancer
Unemployment
Uterine Cancer
Vaginal Cancer
Vulvar Cancer