Cyndi Sarnoff-Ross is a licensed psychotherapist with almost twenty years of clinical experience in the fields of clinical psychology and organizational management. She has worked extensively with a wide variety of…
Suicides Don't Happen Most in the Winter, And Here's Why
Posted in Seasonal Affect... by Cyndi Sarnoff-Ross on Dec 20, 2012
According to the Annenberg Public Policy Center, despite common views, most suicides do not occur in the winter. This has been a long held belief and even clinicians will offer evidence of this from their own practices. I, along with my colleagues, have typically noticed an increase in my caseload during the winter months but this fact alone should lead us to believe that suicide rates would drop because people are actually seeking help.

It was in the 1820s that medical professionals noticed that it was in fact during the late spring that suicide rates peaked. There were a number of theories put forth as to why springtime, usually considered a time of renewal, would inspire suicidal behavior in people. While there is no universally agreed upon reason for this phenomenon, there is some evidence to suggest that the causes may have to do with how people interact with each other during these months.

During the colder winter months, people tend to slow down and stay inside more. They have fewer interactions with others and are generally under less stress at work. As the temperature warms up people begin to mingle more and productivity in many areas pick up, which increases stress for workers. Researchers determined this by looking at farm and factory workers for which this scenario is common.

There has even been speculation that sunshine can trigger suicidal thoughts based on the notion that those who suffer depression are simply too weak or drained during the winter months and that they have more energy to carry out a suicide plan in the warmer months.

Allergies and other health issues intensify during the spring months and doctors have reported that certain allergens can trigger the release of anxiety producing chemicals. Even pollen count and pollution levels have been connected to suicide rates.

All of these theories are based upon many years of looking at data from different countries, climates, types of jobs and other variables and then correlating those factors with spikes in suicide rates. It may seem intuitive to think that the Holidays are a time when people who are alone feel particularly despondent and are therefore more likely to commit suicide but this just isn’t the case. This doesn’t mean that rates of depression don’t rise during the winter months. The weather, along with Holiday stress, can definitely contribute to the increase in mood disorders at this time.

For those who struggle with depression it is critical that you reach out for help. This may mean seeking counseling or accessing your available support systems. Even letting your primary care physician know how you are feeling can start the process of getting you the help you need. It may not be easy, and in fact it is likely to be quite difficult, but the key is to speak up and let someone know about what you are going through.

- Cyndi

4
My bf committed suicide on nov 28th i guess he was the exception,his brother inlaw he loved so died same month he kept telling me about it.I knew he was suicidal person i felt it i just didnt know when.I was getting ready to brake it off with him because are relationship was horrible and he xheated on me left and right. I asked my therapist what if he kolls himself she said what if he does ,thats his choice i brake it off two days later he kills himself.how u like dem sour apples...
By juju31  Feb 14, 2013
3
I care about men. Why is their suicide rate so much greater than for women?

Is it because they are more successful when they decide to kill themselves? Is there a different ratio between the "attempted suicide rate" for men and women?

Is it because men are more reluctant to seek professional help when they are depressed?
By Fern RL  Dec 29, 2012
2
Maybe you'll discuss why the male suicide rate is 4 times greater than the female suicide rate. Oops, I forgot, you don't give a damn about men.
By ESF  Dec 22, 2012
1
One can't speak up anywhere...
By drwho546  Dec 22, 2012

Alcoholism
Bipolar Disorder
Bipolar Disorder - Teen
Cocaine Addiction & Recovery
Depression in Children
Families & Friends Affected By Suicide
Families & Friends Of Addicts
Family & Friends of Bipolar
Heroin Addiction & Recovery
Loneliness
Marijuana Addiction & Recovery
Meth Addiction & Recovery
Post Partum Depression
Seasonal Affective Disorder
Smoking Addiction & Recovery