Cyndi Sarnoff-Ross is a licensed psychotherapist with almost twenty years of clinical experience in the fields of clinical psychology and organizational management. She has worked extensively with a wide variety of…
CPR for Mental Health? New Course Teaches How to Respond to a Mental Health Crisis
Posted in Depression by Cyndi Sarnoff-Ross on Oct 19, 2011
If we see someone chocking or we witness a person falling and being injured, most of us are fairly quick to respond. If we can’t give assistance directly we will call for help or dial 911. But when we see a person crying or looking frightened or even talking to themselves, most people will pass by with a sideways glance. Sometimes it is out of a fear for one’s own safety, but other times it is simply because many are uncomfortable with raw emotion.

The reality is that we are more likely to come across someone who is having a mental health crisis than a physical one and yet people are trained in CPR every day. There is now a course available to give people the tools to deal with someone having a mental health crisis. Similar to CPR it provides training to manage the moment until professionals arrive to take over.

The course teaches how to identify if someone is actively suicidal and if they have the ability to carry out a suicide plan. It also teaches about symptoms of various mental illnesses such as depression, anxiety and psychosis. The course strives to provide an understanding of what the person, who is experiencing the symptoms, may be feeling and teaches effective ways to communicate with someone in a crisis. The class members participate in exercises to improve empathy. One exercise asks a participant to attempt to have a conversation while someone whispers in their ear things such as, “Don’t trust him,” or “You’re a failure.” This can really help a person to understand what it may feel like for someone who is having auditory hallucinations.

When I was doing my internship in a psychiatric hospital I was required to learn CPR and First Aid. My job did not entail any medical intervention, but I needed to learn these skills nonetheless. Many jobs require their employees to have a basic understanding of how to handle a medical crisis but this course trains people to handle a mental health crisis. Schools, hospitals and even large corporations would be well served to have members of their staff gain this type of knowledge in addition to other life saving skills.

For more information about Mental Health First Aid you can visit this website.

- Cyndi

4
Awesome article about mental health.
By johnlasseter  Mar 16, 2012
3
This also plays a factor in passing by people who may be suffering from emotional and physical crisis.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffus...
By Voltaire64  Dec 08, 2011
2
I recently spent a week in-patient in a psych ward after a suicide attempt. I was around professionals (my PCP and her staff) while they searched for a facility with an open bed. They didn't treat me any different, but they knew to keep me company, let me talk, smile and reassure me that I was taking the right step by seeking help. Because of them, I was able to enter into a mental health unit relaxed and not anxious, ready to seek help and not fighting the program.

Cyndi, please add more on this topic. It is much needed.

Rev. Bear Jones (I sign my name because mental illness is no cause for shame)
By OldManBear  Oct 20, 2011
1
I would like to see more such training. I do agree however, that fear of mental illness would keep many from reaching out. Another fear is that helping a person with mental illness can seem like a very long term commitment where as first aid is more of a quick interaction.
By ThePepperMan  Oct 20, 2011

Bipolar Disorder
Bipolar Disorder - Teen
Depression in Children
Family & Friends of Bipolar
Multiple Personalities
Personality Disorders
Schizophrenia
Stress Management
Fitness Goals
Health Insurance
Mental Challenged
Anxiety Disorders in Children