Psychiatrist - Timberline Knolls Residential Treatment Center

Dr. Kimberly Dennis is the Medical Director at Timberline Knolls Residential Treatment Center. She maintains a holistic perspective in the practice of psychiatry, incorporating biological, psycho-social and spiritual approaches…
Is there such a thing as a Binge Eating Disorder?
Posted in Eating Disorder... by Dr. Kimberly Dennis on Jan 11, 2010
I am sure most of us have at one time or another gone back for that second or third serving of a favorite meal, whether or not we’re still hungry. During a holiday party or special occasion, it’s common to overindulge. But for millions of Americans, it’s a daily occurrence that they feel powerless to control, one that is surrounded by secrecy and shame. While most people have heard the terms anorexia and bulimia, the most common eating disorder is the least talked about: eating disorder not otherwise specified, which includes binge eating disorder (also referred to as compulsive overeating). Binge eating disorder affects more than 20 million Americans, and is rarely recognized along with the other serious co-occurring psychiatric conditions it often accompanies.

As I mentioned in a previous blog about the biology of eating disorders (link to previous blog), millions of individuals use binging on food to manage emotions like shame, fear, anger, loneliness and sadness in the same way those addicted to alcohol or drugs abuse other substances. When compulsive overeaters consume large amounts of food, they experience a relaxed or calming sensation very similar to the feeling alcoholics or substance abusers receive when they use.

That’s why it’s so critical that physicians, family members and individuals themselves understand and recognize when their normal eating patterns are replaced by disordered eating experiences on a regular basis. These may include:
  • Very strong feelings about food, which may overwhelm and overshadow important emotions in relationships and other areas of life

• Strong sense of shame or guilt during and after meals, which may be more acute following binges

• Intense physical discomfort following meals, often to the point one feels sick

• Significant increase in the amount of food consumed in one setting, and in the rate at which one eats

• Increasing reliance on food to deal with everyday stresses

Signs of Binge Eating Disorder
Compulsive overeating can be difficult to recognize, particularly if the affected individual does not experience noticeable changes in their health or appearance. There are several tell-tale signs, though, that may be early indicators of binge eating disorder:
  • Missing or hidden food, often in large quantities

• Effort put forth to hide food wrappers and empty containers after binging

• Excessive spending on food, to the point one may fall behind on other bills

• Stealing food

• Eating alone, both during binges and during period of normal food consumption

• Skipping out on spending time with friends and relatives in social settings

The Misunderstood Eating Disorder
The biggest problem is compulsive overeating or binge eating is rarely recognized as its own illness, and often only the symptoms are treated, without appropriate attention to root causes and related co-occurring disorders. In fact, most physicians and mental health professionals fail to properly diagnose compulsive overeating and binge eating as an eating disorder, and insurance companies rarely regard it with the same level of medical severity as anorexia or bulimia. That’s one of the main challenges we encounter in our efforts to assist binge eating disordered patients: difficulty demonstrating the severity of the problem to insurers using the same tools and standards they apply to anorexics and bulimics.

Too often, patients who seek help are advised by their physician to modify their diet and increase exercise, with a primary focus on losing weight, or taking medication to lower blood pressure, lower cholesterol, and control blood sugar levels. Unfortunately, that not only fails to address the patient’s real illness, but also makes them feel ashamed of their lack of self-control, which can exacerbate the disorder and trigger even more advanced symptoms.

I also see too many patients who have been victimized by the stigma that binge eating disorder is only a concern for the overweight or obese. In fact, anyone, regardless of size or body type, can be vulnerable to this cycle of emotional eating, which is ultimately rooted in much more complicated and overwhelming feelings. Eating disorders are equal opportunity offenders that cross the barriers of race, education level and socio-economic status. Speaking the truth about these diseases and the effectiveness of available treatment is one way to decrease the stigma that blocks so many people from seeking help. I commend Monica Seles, a hall of fame tennis player, who disclosed in her new book that she suffered from binge eating disorder during the prime of her career. Seles, like so many compulsive overeaters, sought comfort from food following the death of her father, a traumatic event that occurred not long after her career was interrupted by another trauma – her on-court stabbing at the hands of a deranged fan.

It’s important for individuals who think they may suffer from compulsive overeating to be honest with themselves, their family and their physician about their relationship with food and to find help from someone who understands that their struggle is a serious illness. In addition to consulting with an eating disorder specialist, I highly recommend that those struggling with binge eating seek out Overeaters Anonymous. This 12-step mutual support fellowship has chapters in many cities across the U.S., and I’ve seen it help many patients to connect with others who have faced and overcome the same challenges.

Dr. Dennis

7
Binge eating is definitely part of food addiction. The only thing I've ever found to help is following a no sugar, no flour diet. Avoiding all "trigger" foods is essential. Joining a twelve step program such as OA or FA provides support to help you know that you are not alone. I've been in this horrible addiction since my teen years. I'm 43. I'm in recovery but continue to battle "relapses". There is a solution and it's important not to suffer alone.
By shell777  Apr 11, 2010
6
Binge eating is not recognized as a disease from my own experiences. Couple binge eating with throwing up and you have a valid "disease" worthy of treatment, but on it's own it's just "a lack of self-control". After all, any "normal" person can learn portion control, right?

I've been battling this demon for more years than I can count after purposely gaining the weight as a pre-teen. I ate to stuff my feelings and to ensure boys wouldn't pay me any attention. By the time I reached my early twenties, I regretted the weight gain, but was too used to using food, mostly mindlessly, to keep emotions stuffed and under control.

Is there such a thing as a binge eating disorder? Yes. Indeed. For sure. Affirmative.
By LadyWrites  Feb 25, 2010
5
Binge eating isn't discussed much so I'm glad to see it discussed. Is there a particular trigger? I am normal weight now was anorexic for some years, but now if I can't sleep, upset or angry, I binge. Not every night but when upset.
When upset at younger age, I didn't eat, loss appetite, so it is strange. thanks
By deeee  Jan 13, 2010
4
THANK YOU DR. DENNIS!!!!!!!! i have been eagerly waiting for this post. i survived abuse in my childhood, and began bingeing and hiding food in response to "stuffing" my feelings. i always knew i had a horrible relationship with food. but i didn't realize i had an eating disorder untill april of last year. i started blogging and telling loved ones. i became involved with OA. however, i have lost my medical coverage, so i haven't gone to my nurse practicioner yet. it's still very difficult to deal with as my family knows but doesn't understand.
By jasgall  Jan 13, 2010
3
thanks you so much for posting this... I can totally relate.. I definitely over eat.. and at a very fast past...and feel guilt for over eating and for not taking the time to eat my food.. I will like to explore a 12 step program on this... it would be very helpful.. I am already in another two 12 step programs to deal with my codependency (CODA) and addiction to relationships and affects of the family disease (AL-Anon) in my life...
By MirandoAdelante  Jan 12, 2010
2
Thank you for mentioning that a person doesn't have to be overweight for binge eating to be a serious problem. I have this disorder, but since I'm a normal weight and very secretive about it, only one person in my life knows.
By Kalandra  Jan 12, 2010
1
I don't feel I have the symptoms of this disorder, but I do feel that I overeat as a reaction to being accepted when I cleaned my plate as a young child and as a person of faith who hears that wasting is a sin when others have so little. but thanks for letting me see the struggles that others have in this food challenge.
By lovemy3youngens  Jan 11, 2010

Agoraphobia & Social Anxiety
Anxiety
Anxiety Disorders in Children
Cocaine Addiction & Recovery
Depression in Children
Diets & Weight Maintenance
Eating Disorders
Families & Friends Of Addicts
Food Addiction
Gambling Addiction & Recovery
Healthy Eating
Heroin Addiction & Recovery
Internet Addiction
Marijuana Addiction & Recovery
Meth Addiction & Recovery
Post Partum Depression
Separation Anxiety
Sex / Pornography Addiction
Shopping Addiction
Smoking Addiction & Recovery
Teen Anxiety
Video Game Addiction