Discussion Topic

Do they really spy on you?

Posted on 02/17/09, 03:54 pm
I received an email from a member of the back pain support group (which I belong to) warning me to keep all the shades down in my house all the time because the SSA investigators spy on you and take pictures of you through the window to prove you are doing more than you say you are capable of doing. Is this true? Can they do this? I'm not doing anything more than my doctors report states, but come on now - how far is too far and at what point is it invasion of privacy. My god, I often walk around in tshirt and sleep shorts - are they taking pictures of that? Also - what about outside? Sometimes I sit on my deck (just sit - nothing else) when its sunny just to get some fresh air. Im bottled up in the house 24/7. Are they going to photograph me sitting outside and say that i'm entertaining myself? I cant work, but i'm not 100% bedbound 24/7. Not sure if the email was true - are they really checking like this and if so, how far can they go?
Showing 1 - 10 of 13 Replies
  • Reply #1 02/17/09  4:50pm
    I think thats a little bit paranoid thinking. They don't even have time to get all the claims done in a timly manner. I really dont think they have time to spy on us.... I'd like to see them take a picture of my depression.
  • Reply #2 02/17/09  8:50pm
    I know on one of the other boards, someone said that they were being spied on, but it was from disability insurance from their work, not SSDI.
    I do know that alot of companies do send "spies" and take pictures and video's making sure someone who is off work because of a back back isnt out their working on a roof or cutting the grass. Social Security doesnt have the manpower or money to spy on us. I hope this eases your tension a little.
    Take care
    Jan
  • Reply #3 02/17/09  8:51pm
    I know on one of the other boards, someone said that they were being spied on, but it was from disability insurance from their work, not SSDI.
    I do know that alot of companies do send "spies" and take pictures and video's making sure someone who is off work because of a back back isnt out their working on a roof or cutting the grass. Social Security doesnt have the manpower or money to spy on us. I hope this eases your tension a little.
    Take care
    Jan
  • Reply #4 02/17/09  11:18pm
    Actually, they have been known to check up on disability claimants. However, this is usually after they have received a call from someone (neighbor, frenemy, anyone else with a grudge, etc.) who reports that a claimant is faking their disability. I saw a news show about 10+ years ago. I believe it was John Stossel with 20/20 and they accompanied SSA disability investigators who were following up on disability claimants. One man in particular, who was on disability for a back impairment, WAS roofing his house. If I remember correctly the show segment was called "The Fleecing of America." I personally was disgusted with what I saw. It is my honest belief that it happens much more than we know and that it is those claimants who make it so damn difficult for the rest of us who truly are disabled. Having said that, I don't think any of us need worry about big brother snapping our pictures as we live our lives and if they did, they'd plainly see that we have nothing to hide. And for those who do have something to hide.... I hope they get caught committing this fraud since as I said, it is THOSE fakes that make our lives so difficult. Now... as I sit on my front porch sipping my coffee, on those wonderfully warm days that are coming soon, I just hope they get my good side, lol.

Take care all and God bless!
  • Reply #5 02/18/09  2:25am
    I used to work in word processing for an investigative agency that did work 'spying' on people who were suing insurance companies or claiming disabilities from insruance.. They would film them doing things like dancing, washing their cars, etc. Social Security doesn't have the manpower to do anything like that.
  • Reply #6 02/18/09  7:52am
    I agree that this is usually done when there is an insurance co involved.

Don't worry.
  • Reply #7 02/19/09  12:31pm
    I think after you are approved for SSDI you have to keep them current with your medical condition as well. I agree faith, they do check up on calls from people reporting fraud as well they should.
  • Reply #8 04/17/09  8:54am
    This was odd...yesterday, I was out spraying the weeds in my flower beds, and a man in a car, with some cleaning business advertised on the side of it, pulled up and sat across the street for a few minutes. I thought maybe he was going to go in the vacant house for sale and clean it, but he never stepped out of his car, just seemed to be writing when I looked at him.

This struck me as odd...as my Hearing is on Monday.

My weeds do show my neglect in taking care of the flower beds, there are NO flowers, only weeds, and I mean TONS of weeds, tall, prickly weeds. I rarely get out and do things, but yesterday was a beautiful, sunny day...and the weeds were bugging me...just had me thinking, could this be someone from SSD? Probably not...but can't explain why he was there...well, maybe he was calling about that house for sale...that could be an answer!

Please pray for my approval at my Hearing on Monday! Thanks!
  • Reply #9 04/17/09  1:35pm
    I've been paranoid about the whole thing. My doctor told me that I should get outside for at least 20 minutes a day to help with my depression. I've been living like a prisoner in my own house for the past 2 years. I dont even put the shades up any more. Im terrified to even sit on my deck in fear that the SSA is going to see me and think i'm enjoying myself. I'm disabled, but not dead. I'd really like to know the "rules" if there are any in terms of just how far they can go in watching your private life.
  • Reply #10 04/17/09  8:56pm
    I'm sure mine was just nervous paranoia...there was another car that was obviously driving by and looking at the house for sale today...maybe they dropped their price, or have it advertised this week...

If you've already been approved, I think you're safe. SSA can't expect you to live like a hermit. Plus, getting outside WILL help with your depression, you need the Vitamin D...that's being shown to be important in healing depression! I take a Calcium + Vitamin D supplement, but the sunshine is the best form!

And, if you're in the approval process, I don't think they'd be spying on you.

Worker's Comp, Long-Term Disability plans from work or in lawsuits...those are the ones that I can see that might 'spy' on you.

Relax...go grab some Sunshine! I'm heading out behind you!! The Weather is getting beautiful!

Welcome

Join This Group

This is for any one that has found themselves in the long wait for Soicial Security. Any one that has gone through this process or is in the middle of it. Venting is allowed.