Discussion Topic

"Honor your father and your mother"

Posted on 09/17/10, 01:53 pm
" Observing the fourth commandment brings its reward: "Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land which the LORD your God gives you."

" Respecting this commandment provides, along with spiritual fruits, temporal fruits of peace and prosperity. Conversely, failure to observe it brings great harm to communities and to individuals. ""

""The fourth commandment...shows us the order of charity. God has willed that, after him, we should honor our parents to whom we owe life and who have handed on to us the knowledge of God...""

""The fourth commandment is addressed expressly to children in their relationship to their father and mother, because this relationship is the most universal. It likewise concerns the ties of kinship between members of the extended family. It requires honor, affection, and gratitude toward elders and ancestors"".

""This commandment is expressed in positive terms of duties to be fulfilled. It introduces the subsequent commandments which are concerned with particular respect for life, marriage, earthly goods, and speech. It constitutes one of the foundations of the social doctrine of the Church.""

That's all from the Catholic Catechism. I've been thinking that maybe this generation is so far from these commandments that the loss of our children is just one consequence. Our culture is the outward expression of the people's faith ---what the people believe is important----. When I look at the music, the art, the artchitecture, the lack of respect for life itself, the worship of the self, the worship of physical beauty , I think maybe it's because our culture has rejected these commandments. I don't know.

For thousands and thousands of years, most of the peoples of earth followed these commandments or some similar version of them. We all take it for granted that they are true and correct even if we can't follow them all the time. We all seem to accept that lying and stealing and cheating are wrong. Again we can't follow them all the time because none of us is perfect. It seems that this generation doesn't agree. Many of them have no problem with lying, cheating, stealing etc. So of course why should they honor their parents? What do you all think? Maybe the problem is broader and deeper than I previously thought. Maybe it's spiritual in nature.
Showing 1 - 10 of 17 Replies
  • Reply #1 09/17/10  2:07pm
    Sorry for the duplicate post.
  • Reply #2 09/17/10  2:15pm
    I was thinking the exact same thing last night!! Guess great minds think alike. No, really, we're living in a culture where self is the be-all and end-all, and your own happiness is all that matters. If you have problems with someone, do yourself a favor and never speak to them again, or at least that's how people deal with issues these days.

I've been praying for that God will shame my son for how poorly he treats me. He deserves it.
  • Reply #3 09/17/10  2:28pm
    It amazes me how some children could just drop their parents out of their lives like its no big deal. I would never do that to my parents unless things were so bad and impossible. I did not have a perfect life growing up. We had some tough times in our household but I stil loved my parents. They both have passed and I still miss them terribly and they were not perfect people. My daughter claims that my generation is selfish but I have my doubts about her generation! I would never do the things and say the things that she has done to me to my mother.
  • Reply #4 09/17/10  2:30pm
    I know over the years when going through the same old stuff with by now ED, I would mention that commandment..and her comment was "only is the parents deserve honor"??!! and I would say to her trying to reach her, "God forgives us for so much and you hold a grudge and make people suffer". Her reply , if God had to forgive what I (she) has to forgive , maybe He wouldn't". I was shocked and thought to myself, you are walking on very thin ice, miss...if was then that I knew she has some very serious issues....
  • Reply #5 09/17/10  2:31pm
    They seem to pick and chose what commandments to follow, if any, and alter them as needed....
  • Reply #6 09/17/10  2:37pm
    I used to mention honor and respect to my daughter and her response was the similiar. She said that I had to earn her respect and honor.
  • Reply #7 09/17/10  3:11pm
    One would think that having raised your daughter would have earned you some respect, GMPA.

What we have done for them, over the years, seems to be completely inconsequential to them. "What have you done for me lately" seems to be their mantra.
  • Reply #8 09/17/10  4:10pm
    I believe there is a spiritual battle going on in the heaven with good and evil... Satan always will uses the things that are closest to our heart to attack us...God will allow this as it strenghtens us to trust him more and more... Also it builds our character and molds us into the things of God...

I also think he is working in the lives of our children. My children have been taught this command in their schools and church... The son that is estranged, was at a very young age going to be a pastor. He builded a pupit in the garage , got out his bible and would pretend to preach.... And is is doing this to us now ? I don't understand, but I know he knows right from wrong.. I think he is running away from God and his commands, he is of the world now with his wife. But I believe God will only allow this for just so long and the hand of God will come down and touch them....

Funny thing, my GS is in 1st grade in a Catholic school and is starting to come home with some of God Commands.... So, out the mouths of Babes, maybe he will light a fire in his fathers heart.
  • Reply #9 09/17/10  6:18pm
    I think they can't have a lot of self respect or they wouldn't be able to treat us this way.
  • Reply #10 09/17/10  9:02pm
    I know my kids know right from wrong. I pray to God that they return to Him. I heard someone say that St. Monica prayed for 17 years for her son to mend his ways and then he did. St. Augustine was her son. Some people in Al-Anon told me to place my daughter into the hand's of God. To lay her at His feet. To surrender her to Him. To visualize this happening and it would give me peace. I have to do this over and over because I guess I keep taking her back. I want my daughter. I know she really is God's daughter. This I do know. My parents, especially my father, prayed everyday that their children would return to God and pretty much the 9 of us have. And because of that , we also returned to our parents. He sure did pray for so many years.! But I grew up in a time when the world around me believed in a moral code. It seems that there is so much support for abandoning your parents today. I think that we are the generation that will be euthanized by our children.... I hope I'm joking.

Welcome

Join This Group

Do you have adult children, who have blamed you for everything wrong in their childhood, lost contact either through addiction, divorce, or in laws? No phone calls for birthdays, Mother's day, just no communication. How do you cope with the emptiness, the painful loss of not having your children in your life? *WARNING*: Read this note about privacy: http://www.dailystrength.org/people/548/journal/1802327