Discussion Topic

Dignity of Choice *specific foods mentioned*

Posted on 11/26/10, 04:50 am
There is a great OA pamphlet called Dignity of Choice which has several food plans in it. I try to follow the basic plan #2 with the exception of having my optional snack about 3 pm (I eat dinner late) and my chai tea with milk at night.

What is your food plan like? I have not been getting enough veggies and my food sponsor was not happy about that. My food choices have been poor lately and I almost lost my food sponsor honestly. It's not eating compulsively that got me to that situation but rather the food choices I was making were not those of someone who wanted to lose weight and I want to lose weight.
Showing 4 Replies
  • Reply #1 11/26/10  10:08am
    Aren't you smart to have a food sponsor. I have a food plan that I have "cobbled together" as Martha Beck said in her book The Joy Diet. I eat fruits, grains, veggies, dairy, protein in various forms and have an afternoon snack.
    For me it's not what I eat but how much as portion control has been a big issue.
  • Reply #2 11/26/10  9:37pm
    After years of trying different food plans in different 12 step food programs I've been blessed to have found a plan and sponsor that fits me like never before. All of the food plans restricted flour, sugar and various food items depending on the sponsor. The longest I ever stayed abstinent was 5 long years. I've been at this for 20 years. So, the rest of the time I've been restricting and bingeing. What a hellish cycle that has been. The guilt, remorse and self-loathing was almost unbearable. Now as a last ditch effort, I'll try anything attempt I've been following the 3-0-1 plan. Three meals a day, with nothing in between(except coffee, tea, diet beverages), One Day at a time. I've been at it since August 15, 2010 and I've only had a few glitches. All food options are open. I have one sweet a day with a meal if I want it. I never thought that this was even an option for me. I LOVE this way of eating. The only draw back is that I haven't lost much weight, maybe 5 pounds. I'm too afraid to try adjusting the food plan for weight loss right now. I don't want to end up back in that cycle again.
  • Reply #3 11/28/10  12:33pm
    The dictionary had a number of interesting things to say about DIGNITY and CHOICE as follows:-

DIGNITY -
    The state or quality of being worthy of honour or respect.
    A composed or serious manner or style - a sense of pride in oneself.

CHOICE
    An act of chosing.
    The right or ability to chose.
    A range from which to chose.
    Especially of food) of very good quality.

When I follow the choices on my plan it does give me healthy food (good quality) which results in me feeling good about myself (state of honour or respect).

I know the food plan I follow of beans, fish, meat, veggies, fruits and grains and dairy gives me freedom of choice - its a plan I can live with.
  • Reply #4 11/28/10  8:04pm
    Yes, I have to have a plan I can live with also.

Welcome

Join This Group

This group and its members use OA Literature, pamphlets and the Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Workbook of OA.