Discussion Topic

Shoes for neuropathy

Posted on 04/25/10, 10:59 am
Does anyone know of any shoes that work well with neuropathy pain?
Showing 1 - 10 of 12 Replies
  • Reply #1 04/25/10  12:40pm
    And a remedy for painful arms, and skin....

Hugs
    Marion
  • Reply #2 05/01/10  6:43pm
    I happened onto Haflinger's, made in Germany, found them on E-bay. They have the same sole as Birkenstocks's but the line is called Grizzlies and made from boiled wool. My feet react to synthetic fabrics and most houseshoes (that I had worn for years and didn't realize) are synthetics plus leather makes me crazy. Needless to say, most socks are a nightmare also. The skin doesn't react but the nerves sure do. Haflinger's Grizzlies retail for $105 but you can get them for as low as $35 on E-bay auction. They last really well and the sole wears well, supposed to be indoor/outdoor but my back doesn't like them on hard surface, just carpet. Also, the clogs fit better than the ones with the back in them. Good luck to you. Patti
  • Reply #3 05/02/10  9:07am
    Although I can no longer recall the website I acquired them from but if you do a search on orthopedic shoes it should bring up a few places then search on any given site using word neuropathy shoes or shoes for neuropathy. I got these leather boots that have multiple inserts that can be stacked or placed any way that works for that day's given pain.The brand is 'OrthOfeet" and also on same site I acquired some great athletic shoes that use an elastic tightening mechanism rather than laces, which can be a problem, and they are mostly a mesh type material with leather strips in-between and had same multiple inderts, of which one was memory foam and has been my favorite shoes and have lasted for over three years as well and just read the bottom of shoes and they are Sketcher's. Also, at least here in Columbus, OH we have a chain of stores called "The Good Feet Store", where they actually take the time to know what your issues are and offer all kinds of orthotic inserts that actually work and I look back at all the Dr. Scholl's inserts I have bought in the years that ultimately either don't last very long, or just give a temporary fix. Do a search on "The Good Feet Store" and also an internet search on "shoes for Neuropathy", and weed out the diabetic/ugly stuff that is not what we are looking for, as anything that does not give me room in my toe are rather than squeezing them in a pointy front are always bad news. The boots I have also had equally long and shine up enough to even wear them with dress pants going to church. Your feet's comfort with neuropathy should be a priority and it need not cost you an arm and a leg. I will tell you now you will never find anything in a place such as "Payless" or the likes, but I know between the boots and the athletic shoes, I did not spend any more than $140. and I am one to loathe spending money or too much money on clothes, being a thrift store frequent flyer, but your feet are very important in thier comfort. The same goes for your mattress. Although not a Temperpedic "Brand", but "Serta" which is well-respected brand had a queen sized 5 LB density, 10" thick mattress and a friend of mine has an actual Temperpedic bed and he nor I can tell any difference and I pd. $300 for mine, he is still making payments on an almost $2000. mattress. I am including this because I truely sleep with minimal discomfort with my peripheral neuropathy with no pressure points, whereas those adjustable air beds I have slept on at better Hotels, made me sweat like crazy even though thiers sheets on them, you are sleeping on plastic. Investment in your comfort pays for itself every day. FYI- I acquired my memory foam mattress from overstock.com, and is important to get the 5 LB density 3-4 inch temper material top part of mattress and do not even try a memory faom mattress "topper" as you are still sealing with primary problem--a bad mattress support and got rid of that within a week of trying to be thrifty. I hope this helps alot of people from my experience.
    Peace!
  • Reply #4 05/02/10  9:07am
    Although I can no longer recall the website I acquired them from but if you do a search on orthopedic shoes it should bring up a few places then search on any given site using word neuropathy shoes or shoes for neuropathy. I got these leather boots that have multiple inserts that can be stacked or placed any way that works for that day's given pain.The brand is 'OrthOfeet" and also on same site I acquired some great athletic shoes that use an elastic tightening mechanism rather than laces, which can be a problem, and they are mostly a mesh type material with leather strips in-between and had same multiple inderts, of which one was memory foam and has been my favorite shoes and have lasted for over three years as well and just read the bottom of shoes and they are Sketcher's. Also, at least here in Columbus, OH we have a chain of stores called "The Good Feet Store", where they actually take the time to know what your issues are and offer all kinds of orthotic inserts that actually work and I look back at all the Dr. Scholl's inserts I have bought in the years that ultimately either don't last very long, or just give a temporary fix. Do a search on "The Good Feet Store" and also an internet search on "shoes for Neuropathy", and weed out the diabetic/ugly stuff that is not what we are looking for, as anything that does not give me room in my toe are rather than squeezing them in a pointy front are always bad news. The boots I have also had equally long and shine up enough to even wear them with dress pants going to church. Your feet's comfort with neuropathy should be a priority and it need not cost you an arm and a leg. I will tell you now you will never find anything in a place such as "Payless" or the likes, but I know between the boots and the athletic shoes, I did not spend any more than $140. and I am one to loathe spending money or too much money on clothes, being a thrift store frequent flyer, but your feet are very important in thier comfort. The same goes for your mattress. Although not a Temperpedic "Brand", but "Serta" which is well-respected brand had a queen sized 5 LB density, 10" thick mattress and a friend of mine has an actual Temperpedic bed and he nor I can tell any difference and I pd. $300 for mine, he is still making payments on an almost $2000. mattress. I am including this because I truely sleep with minimal discomfort with my peripheral neuropathy with no pressure points, whereas those adjustable air beds I have slept on at better Hotels, made me sweat like crazy even though thiers sheets on them, you are sleeping on plastic. Investment in your comfort pays for itself every day. FYI- I acquired my memory foam mattress from overstock.com, and is important to get the 5 LB density 3-4 inch temper material top part of mattress and do not even try a memory faom mattress "topper" as you are still sealing with primary problem--a bad mattress support and got rid of that within a week of trying to be thrifty. I hope this helps alot of people from my experience.
    Peace!
  • Reply #5 05/02/10  1:37pm
    Hi namnibor,
    I read your opinion on mattresses and was encouraged. I have a friend who will be entering rehabilitation after 2 months hospitalization for gbs and lupus - she had complete nerve involvement including being on a respirator for half of her stay. I've been searching for anything that can help with the pain and was happy to see your recommendation.
    I just checked overstock and didn't see the exact specs your suggested but will keep checking. My question is does your mattress come in a set (with the separate bottom part) or is it just a mattress?.
  • Reply #6 05/11/10  8:56pm
    my brother in law has diabetis he told him to use ANSWER2 THE DOCTOR THAT IS THE NAME OF THE SHOE. AND ANOTHER ONE ARE DREW SHOES, YOU CAN LOOK THEM UP ON INTERNET. HOPE THEY HELP MY HUSBAND HAS CHARCOTS FOOT BUT HE IS NOT DIABETIC BEEN A NIGHTMARE GETTING THIS FOOT TO HEAL HE HAD A 5 HOUR OPERATION TO RECONSTRUCT HIS FOOT HE WAS DOING OK AND. THEN THE PIN BROKE HE HAS BEEN LAYINGS 9 MONTHS WITH FOOT IN AIR ZZZTOP
  • Reply #7 05/13/10  8:18am
    I have a platform bed with the memory foam mattress right on top of it. Now, if you go the route of the expensive Tempurpedic Mattress, the added expense of minimum $400. for thier support that goes below the mattress is required or the 20 yr warranty does not apply. I was also turned-off by the Tempurpedic Company because since my best friend bought his from them they have changed thier warranty substantially to NOT include what they state as "The natural softening of the Tempur-material over time is NOT covered by warranty"....not like the natural softening of the mattress has made my bed bad or anything but I have after one year simply turned the mattress around as I always sleep on a certain side of my queen-sized bed with my cat on end of bed on the other. The patent for the Tempur material has since been allowed as in generic drugs and recoup of research and development costs, to where you can get a very good memory foam mattress for a fraction of what the Tempurpedic Co. wants to charge you. Overstock.com has many mattresses and what is mainly important is getting a "firm" mattress with 3-4 inches at minimum of tempur material. I have never slept better in my life consistantly.
  • Reply #8 05/13/10  8:19am
    I have a platform bed with the memory foam mattress right on top of it. Now, if you go the route of the expensive Tempurpedic Mattress, the added expense of minimum $400. for thier support that goes below the mattress is required or the 20 yr warranty does not apply. I was also turned-off by the Tempurpedic Company because since my best friend bought his from them they have changed thier warranty substantially to NOT include what they state as "The natural softening of the Tempur-material over time is NOT covered by warranty"....not like the natural softening of the mattress has made my bed bad or anything but I have after one year simply turned the mattress around as I always sleep on a certain side of my queen-sized bed with my cat on end of bed on the other. The patent for the Tempur material has since been allowed as in generic drugs and recoup of research and development costs, to where you can get a very good memory foam mattress for a fraction of what the Tempurpedic Co. wants to charge you. Overstock.com has many mattresses and what is mainly important is getting a "firm" mattress with 3-4 inches at minimum of tempur material. I have never slept better in my life consistantly.
  • Reply #9 06/30/10  10:28pm
    I have worn birkensock type sandals which are good, the best I have though are Crocs - they make a range especially for people with damaged feet.
  • Reply #10 07/17/10  6:56am
    I live in my Birkenstock sandals. I hate when Winter rolls around here in Chicago...I basically hibernate or end up wearing my Mammoth Crocs (wool lining). On the Chronic Pain support page, I remember someone suggesting those shoes by Sketchers called "Shape Ups". Plus....they help you burn some calories, develop some muscles, & improve your balance & coordination. I hope this was helpful.
    -Jennifer

Welcome

Join This Group

WELCOME to the Neuropathy group... For all those who have all types of Nerve Damage and PAIN! A GREAT PAIN resource area! Over 100 photos and 25 research topics on specific pain issues.