Discussion Topic

Vitamin B12 Levels and Lyrica vs. Gabapentin

Posted on 02/12/11, 11:49 am
Hi Everyone,

I had my vitamin B12 level checked and it is 299. The 'normal' range is 200 - 1100. The doc gave me a B12 shot. Is there anyone with experience with B12 deficiency as a cause of PN? Could 299 actually represent a level low enough to contribute? If you have received B12 shots or therapy, did it help?

My primary care doc also gave me a trial bottle of Lyrica. Right now my neurologist has me on 300mg/day of gabapentin. What experiences have you all had with Lyrica versus gabapentin?

Peace,

Jack
Showing 1 - 10 of 13 Replies
  • Reply #1 02/12/11  12:09pm
    Jack, can't help with the Lyrica vs gabapentin thing...I think I'm heading there next when I see neuro...

I have had to take B12 daily since I had my gastric bypass in '01. I was taking 1000 mcg daily orally. My B12 has always been super high since then...However recently (past month) I decided to stop taking it and just do a B50 complex, which has only 50 mcg B12. I had a doctor tell me that my B12 level was TOO high...I didn't think that was possible, so I just am taking the B complex and will ask for a recheck in a month or 2 when I see PCP. I know my PN is not related to my B12 level, we haven't figured out what it is caused from but I think it's the RA/Sjogren's causing the PN.

See how you feel on the B12, it certainly won't harm you.
  • Reply #2 02/12/11  1:46pm
    Thanks Marie.
  • Reply #3 02/12/11  3:52pm
    My daughter takes B12 shots and it makes a BIG difference for her. She takes 1cc every other week. If she gets off track she really feels it. I wanted her to take them weekly but dr tested her (on day she got shot) and her level was high. That can be dangerous, too. The nurse at the school I work at told me to give her a B100 supplement. She hasn't started taking that yet. She takes 500mg of Gaba 3 times a day. I know of someone else who takes Gaba and Lyrica and said it really helped her pain. It seems to be trial and error with all of this. Good luck!
  • Reply #4 02/12/11  5:05pm
    Thanks Brenmitch. That's very helpful. Was your daughter initially diagnosed as having a B12 deficiency?
  • Reply #5 02/12/11  6:31pm
    They really don't know what my daughter has. The official diagnosis so far is chronic pain disorder. We've been to NUMEROUS drs! A chiropractor, who I took her to for accupuncture, ran a lot of tests for vitamin/mineral deficiency. That is when the B12 def. was found. She tested only slightly low, but the shots really do help. She's only 15, been dealing with on-going pain for about a year and a half. It keeps progressing... I am currently researching Lymes disease. Everything else has been ruled out.
  • Reply #6 02/15/11  8:55am
    Brenmitch, I was taking 1000 mcg of B12 daily, but my level was greater than 2000, (who knows how really high it was, 2001 or 10,000?) So I stopped that dose, and started what I thought was B100...brought it home, started taking it -- a week or 2 later noted bottle said B50 -oops!! I'm still taking that, and when bottle finished, will ask for repeat B12 level also.

I have also read that sublingual B12 is much better absorbed that a tablet (sublingual is a liquid that goes under the tongue). not sure if it's a prescription though or OTC. You might want to check on that too. But B complex is a good idea as neuropathy can be deficiency is other B vits besides B12
  • Reply #7 02/17/11  6:54pm
    Marie I take Mentax for B-12, have you heard of that it is a script!
  • Reply #8 02/18/11  2:14pm
    brenmitch - Check to see if your daughter has an food allergy to Gluten. If you have not researched this at all, I would look into it. I was told that I had alcoholic neuropathy for years. I stopped drinking and was still in pain. They couldn't figure out what was wrong. After three different neurologists, two family doctors, and a chiropractor nutritionist couldn't help me, I did my own research. Turns out that Gluten/wheat is the #1 allergin in the United States, and is the #1 misdiagnosed illness. I have since adopted a strict gluten free diet, and I cannot tell you how much better I feel. I have tried all the supplements (Acetyl-L-Carninte, Alpha Lipoic Acid, B-Complex, Benfotiamine, Methylcobolamin, Yoga, breathing exercises, The Rebuilder, even Artalgia and nothing worked). This diet is the only thing that has helped me. I saw a 75% improvement in 2 weeks. Please feel free to email me if you have any questions at all about this topic. gabek77@msn.com
  • Reply #9 02/18/11  5:13pm
    I will definately do this. Especially since my oldest daughter DOES have a gluten allergy! Her symptoms are more gastro/intestinal. And if she cheats, she pays. She is such a good eater while my youngest is NOT. She is terrified of going gluten free. But I told her if she's allergic she will have to.
  • Reply #10 03/30/11  7:10pm
    I MYSELF SUSPECT GLUTON MAY PAY PART THINK HAVE LEAKY GUT SYNDROME AND HAVE EITHER REALLY LOW B12 OR HIGH AFTER INJECTION GP SAID IT WAS SKY HIGH ,THINK LEVEL SO WRONG AS MY DOCTOR THINKS EVEN WHEN AM 139 IT FINE ..............NO CONVINCING HIM

Welcome

Join This Group

WELCOME to the Neuropathy group... For all those who have all types of Nerve Damage and PAIN! A GREAT PAIN resource area! Over 100 photos and 25 research topics on specific pain issues.