Discussion Topic

Can you lose weight having MS

Posted on 01/25/09, 05:59 pm
Hi, I have found having MS has made me gain over 100 pounds. Because of being bedridden for 4 months and now I cannot use my legs very well. I can barely walk. How do I lose this weight? Can anyone tell me how. I eat very little and the weight is not coming off. Please if anyone has any answers please help, thanks.
Showing 1 - 10 of 12 Replies
  • Reply #1 02/06/09  8:19pm
    I am so sorry that no one has answered you. I personally have never had a problem with weight, but I was thinking that some kind of physical therapy might help.
    Maybe someone could come to your house if you can't get out?
    I would call your doc for some advice.

Good luck.
  • Reply #2 03/02/09  9:56pm
    I have always been overweight but when the doc put me on Betaseron I lost 40 lbs. in 11 months. Amazing-quickest weight loss I ever had- but when he took me off of it-I gained 30 back. I am having the same problem-exercise I can do is not enough to take off the weight- very frustrating isn't it?
  • Reply #3 05/15/09  7:30am
    Try swimming, great exercise, easy on the legs....just keep at it and you will be surprised at the results
  • Reply #4 09/27/09  9:03pm
    I understand your frustration. I can't seem to loose 20 lbs. I too don't eat much, no cream or sugar in my coffee and tea, no ketchup on my french fries, no mayo, and the list goes on and on. I just worked up to a 1/2 mile on the treadmill before my legs give out. I am hoping it works. I think the only thing you can do is contact your Dr.'s office about physical therapy.
    :( I'm sorry.
    Good Luck!
  • Reply #5 09/27/09  9:03pm
    I understand your frustration. I can't seem to loose 20 lbs. I too don't eat much, no cream or sugar in my coffee and tea, no ketchup on my french fries, no mayo, and the list goes on and on. I just worked up to a 1/2 mile on the treadmill before my legs give out. I am hoping it works. I think the only thing you can do is contact your Dr.'s office about physical therapy.
    :( I'm sorry.
    Good Luck!
  • Reply #6 09/27/09  9:28pm
    I can tell you what my doc told me. Eat less than you burn. In my case that is between 800 & 1000 calories to lose weight. Not fun at all. Used to love food & the companionship that went with it. Now it is eating to get thru the day.
  • Reply #7 11/14/09  2:41pm
    i agree with u its tuff. i personaly am taking son diet pills and something to increase my metabolism. ive lost 6 pounds in 2 weeks! good luck
  • Reply #8 02/04/10  12:09am
    it' s all about the foods you eat. I lost 40lbs just by looking at the labels correctly. Now this book i am gonna tell you about emphisizes the use of organic but poo on that its just more expensiive just be smart when purchasing food. The book is called "the gold coast cure" a misnomer its no cure but it helps you feel better. written by a dr and his wife with MS. comes with an exsersize dvd but I never did it. Just gotta be strict nda stick to it. try it
  • Reply #9 02/04/11  9:07am
    I lost 35 pounds when I had MS but didn't know it yet. Took me 18 months and I was on a plateau for 9 months, but I persevered. I cut fat and sugar out of my diet. Read nutrition labels, compared calories and number of calories from fat. Anything over 25% I put back on the shelf.

I gained back about 12 pounds when I was in the hospital for Solumedrol, also started Betaseron, and finally after a year I am at a weight that I haven't seen since early high school!

I hate to exercise, but I take a weekly Yobics class - combination of yoga and aerobics, and it's done from a seated position, specifically for those with mobility issues - and have firmed up my abs.
  • Reply #10 02/25/11  6:32pm
    I was wondering if u had ne luck? I can't do nething physical either and we already have no energy so why eat less?? I jst eat whats in the book,no brand names of course, and can't really do the excersizes so I just follow the diet.

Welcome

Join This Group

this group is for people that have ms that would like to talk are just have fun