Discussion Topic

VOC Allergies In Ink Used In Printer Cartridges

Posted on 06/20/11, 12:25 am
Hi, my name is Jane Burkhouse and I seem to be having quite a time with VOC Allergies to off gasing from paint and from the Printer ink.

Do any of you have a problem with itching and burning on your face, neck, arms and back when the ink in your printer cartridges hasn't had time to off gas? I also get a nasty headache and my sinsus are causing me problems.

I have a Lemark WiFi capacity printer. I have had this printer for 2 years and never had a problem with VOC off gassing from the Cartridges. I think that Lemark has changed their ink formula or that the ink cartridges are too "new" and haven't had time to off gas. I will have to remove the ink cartridges from my printer in the evening and leave them in the garage to off gas. If the off gassing in the garage in the evening doesn't cure the problem I will have to get another printer.

My question to the Daily Strength Members who suffer from Multiple Chemical Sensitivities is WHAT TYPE OF COMPUTER PRINTERS DO YOU USE AND DOES THE INK CARTRIDGES CAUSE YOU TO ITCH OR GIVE YOU A HEADACHE. IF I CAN NOT GET THIS OFF GASSING PROBLEM SOLVED BY PUTTING THE CARTRIDGES IN THE GARAGE IN THE EVENING, I will need to buy a new printer.

What kind of printers have my fellow Multiple Chemical Sensitivities Suffers found that does not use cheap ink that off gasses those nasty VOCs?

Until I bought this new box of Lemark 100XL, 3 ink multipack, cyan, magenta and yellow and this new box of Lexmark 100 black ink I have never had this problem with Lexmark Ink.

I am going to return the 100XL 3 ink multipack to Fry's and ask to exchange the 3 ink multipack for individual packages with the regular amount of ink. Having an Extra Large ink cartridge is not going to do me any good if I can not be in the same room with my printer.

Use this call for help as a warning. If you have a Lexmark Printer avoid the 100 XL 3 ink multipack ink packages. They are doing something different to the ink cartridges and I think they are using a different kind of ink.

Please, if any of you have a printer with WiFi capacity that uses ink that is low VOC or doesn't cause itching and an allergic or sensitivity reaction, will you email me at glorianelson8@msn.com and tell me the name of your printer. I will research this problem and keep you posted on how I am progressing in finding a printer with ink that doesn't make me sick.

Thank you for your help.
Showing 2 Replies
  • Reply #1 07/16/11  10:00pm
    Hi.....I can only tell you that i have an HP Deskjet D4260.....I have not had any problems with reacting to it, although I am a little worried about it simply because I keep hearing of so many MCS'ers that react to printer's ink. When my MCS is really bad, I have a little problem with newspaper ink (fresh), but otherwise, thank God, I seem to be okay. Right now my printer doesn't want to print for me....husband has managed to get it fixed a couple of times, but the instant I try to print, it shuts down on me. :(

Becky
  • Reply #2 11/26/13  12:36pm
    I am having the same problem with a Canon inkjet printer. I have the same question. What kind of desktop printers are others using. I do have to by a new one. I have been looking at the MSDS on some of the inks. Scary! Don't know what kind of printer to buy. Thanks for your help.

Welcome

Join This Group

For those who have chemical and environmental sensitivities. I will be posting links to resources and information about this poorly understood disorder. Share your stories and information with us!