Discussion Topic

What Meds Help Your Headaches?

Posted on 11/01/08, 12:11 am
I used to have migraines as a child up til my 30's. The migraines just started coming back again in 2007. My Neuro started giving me Fioricet. I used to take Fiorinal. Neither of them have worked. Now he is giving me Frova. Has anyone taken this med and has it helped u at all? Also, on this week after seeing him for my MS therapy, I told him about the Frova and he gave me samples of Treximet. Has anyone been given that one either; and, if so, how did that one work for u also?
Showing 1 - 10 of 16 Replies
  • Reply #1 11/09/08  3:52pm

Tried Frova. Tried Frova with Toradol. Tried Frova with Aleve (Naproxen)

I have not bothered to try Treximet because I've already tried Imitrex with both Naproxen (same thing) and Toradol (much stronger NSAID.)

Neither did anything for me. Every single person is different, though.

The triptan that worked for me was Maxalt, then it stopped. Nortriptyline had worked for prevention at one time, then it stopped. Effexor and Zonegran had worked at one time, then it stopped. A Depakote infusion worked a couple times.

• Reply #2 12/22/08  9:56pm
    I take Zomig (zolmitriptan) 2.5 mg. It works very well for me.
  • Reply #3 01/20/09  6:45pm
    I take both Keppra and Depakote on a daily basis. If my migraine starts to get severe I take Imitrex. The combinations work for me. I have been on Maxalt and Topomax, and both worked for a while.
  • Reply #4 02/01/09  6:19am
    I STILL HAVING MIGRAINES !!!! SO FAR NOTHING SEAMS TO WORK SO FAR. IT GETTING OLD, I CLOSED OUT 2008 WITH MIGRAINES IN BED IN THE DARK , AND STARTED 2009 WITH MIGRAINES. IN JANUARY I HAD 20 DAYS OF MIGRAINES OUT OF 31 DAYS. TODAY STARTS FEBRUARY AND I STILL HAVE MIGRAINES AND TRYING TO FUNCTION. I HAVE OTC EXCEDRIN MIGRAINE AND IT DOES NOTHING FOR MY HEADACHES.
    I HEARD TOPAMAX IS SUPPOSED TO WORK ON MIGRAINES , AND I TAKE TOPAMAX FOR SEIZURES AND THE TOPAMAX DOES NOTHING FOR MY HEADACHES.

I READY TO COMPLAIN TO MY DOCTORS.

BARRINGTON
  • Reply #5 02/08/09  12:50am
    I took the sumatriptin (Maxalt) and 30mins later I had a full blown heart attack. I can't take it any longer. I am allergic to all triptins and ergostats and now I can only take morphine 15mg for headaches and methadone as a preventative 4 1/2 times a day at 10mg/tablet.
  • Reply #6 02/08/09  7:41am
    I take Naproxen 550mg for my migraines, in the past I have tried Imitrex and all of the OTC meds. with no relief, if all else fails then the caffiene in a diet coke Always! does the trick
  • Reply #7 04/16/09  8:33pm
    I take Fierocet and Percocet.
  • Reply #8 08/31/09  8:17pm
    Barrington, have you had an MRI recently? Maybe there is something going on that is causing you such pain.
    I use Maxalt 10 mg....good luck.
  • Reply #9 09/21/09  2:51pm
    I have tried treximet and it does help me somewhat. I get severe to acute migraines. I have tried everything you can imagine to get them under control and havent had much luck. I have hd migraines for 28 years now. I get yelled at and treated like I am stupid sometimes. But the things that I have found over the years that help me a little bit are vistaril, nubain, phenagrin, hydrocodone, and percocet. Sorry I cant help more
  • Reply #10 09/21/09  4:57pm
    Hi DeiDeiz, I thank u for replying. I see my Neuro every month now since the m.s. has been doing very bad. So between the ms and the headaches..... well, what can I say. I suffer severe pain due to the M.S. It is so ironic that the migraines have gotten worse also. Well, he changed me from the Frova to Relpax. They are only giving me 9 per month. They are very expensive and my insurance will not pay for more than 9 a month. They feel that is enough because they are supposed to be strong and should not need more than that; but, I have a headache almost everyday. But this new med seems to be helping! I hope & pray that u are doing well! Thanks again!
    Much love and prayers!
    crj/Chris

Welcome

Join This Group

This is a place to post information about migraines as an adjunct to the main group. If you have venting or questions, please speak to the main Migraine group. This group is here as a resource so when you are in the middle of a cycle and do not want to have to search 25 pages back you do not have to.