Discussion Topic

maintaining mental status

Posted on 07/14/12, 10:30 am
Wondering about how everyone here finds a way to keep their mental status in the positive direction. I'm in relatively good health following j-pouch surgery back in 2001 and surgery again last year for an intestinal obstruction but I seem to be developing, for a few years now, a lot of angst over my medical history, and the ongoing challenges that are part of life with j-pouch. I've been withdrawing more and more from the social scene. Feels like I'm going bi-polar. Usually the days start positive but before long I start drifting in the opposite direction. Not sure if this is a result of flying solo, being single and 40, a symptom of feeling defeat from UC, or frustrations with life being so much different that I had planned.....
Showing 5 Replies
  • Reply #1 08/13/12  12:16am
    Hi AKsnowsoul,
    I just joined this site today, and ran across your post, which resonates greatly with me. I see that you wrote it back in July, but thought I'd respond anyway, in the event that you would get notified. I'm 42, have had UC/Crohn's (undifferentiated) since early adolescence, many surgeries including J Pouch. I also struggle with adhesion issues and a lot of depression issues, the latter of which I strongly suspect is related to my medical history and the "ongoing challenges that are part of life with j-pouch", as you so eloquently stated. My life is certainly better in most ways than when I had active disease, but I don't feel "cured". It's still really hard. I, too, find myself isolating a lot and sometimes wondering "what's wrong with me".
    I think there are some long lasting effects of the emotional & physical trauma experienced by people (like us) who undergo long illnesses and multiple invasive medical procedures... like it does something to our wiring. And I've also been reading lately about the brain-gut connection, theories suggesting that our mood is regulated in part by our digestive tracts.

If you're still around, I'd love to continue this conversation. I hope you're feeling better than when you first posted this.
    Best, O&F (aka Laura)
  • Reply #2 08/14/12  4:15pm
    All I can really say is that you are not alone in struggling emotionally with this kind of illness. It's something I have been struggling with as well. I hope you find some things that brighten your life and make coping easier.
  • Reply #3 08/30/12  12:42am
    You're not alone. Even though my health is pretty good minus a few minor issues, I still find myself getting sad and down when I think about certain things ... like how I will never be like all the "normal" people again (that's what I call people with their large intestines still intact lol). Don't get me wrong, I love my J-pouch. But sometimes, I do miss life before UC. I usually let myself have a pity party for a few minutes then I move on. Or try to at least. Anyway, I just wanted you to know you're not alone. I hope things start looking up soon for you and that you can find happiness :)
  • Reply #4 10/03/12  2:11pm
    thanks for your comments....I managed to pull myself out of the mental muck for a while. it seems that the best way to stay on the upside is to maintain communication with others who are also reaching for the good of life. the dark months are moving in to alaska and I hope to stay on the bright side with more visits here in the future.
  • Reply #5 10/03/12  2:12pm
    thanks for your comments....I managed to pull myself out of the mental muck for a while. it seems that the best way to stay on the upside is to maintain communication with others who are also reaching for the good of life. the dark months are moving in to alaska and I hope to stay on the bright side with more visits here in the future.

Welcome

Join This Group

A place where anyone considering, waiting for, recovering from, living with a j-pouch or other ostomy can ask for insight and share their experiences.