Discussion Topic

What Domestic Violence Is

Posted on 03/19/11, 12:49 pm

Domestic violence is the willful intimidation, physical assault, battery, sexual assault, and/or other abusive
behavior perpetrated by an intimate partner against another. It is an epidemic affecting individuals in every
community, regardless of age, economic status, race, religion, nationality or educational background.
Violence against women is often accompanied by emotionally abusive and controlling behavior, and thus is
part of a systematic pattern of dominance and control. Domestic violence results in physical injury,
psychological trauma, and sometimes death. The consequences of domestic violence can cross generations
and truly last a lifetime

Showing 7 Replies
  • Reply #1 03/19/11  1:17pm
    Oh thank you honey for posting this valuable information that alot of people really don't understand or know!!!!! And it does last a lifetime, PTSD-post-traumatic-stress-disorder, which alot of us have, who have been victims of domestic violence, such as me. I am a survivor of it, but I have severe PTSD and soon will be starting a therapy called EMDR-Eye Movement Desensitation and Reprocessing, here is a link that tells a little about it http://www.helpguide.org/mental/pdf... but I start mine April 18th, and I am soo hoping that it helps me. It has helped many, and I need to get rid of this PTSD, some days it just controls my whole day, my whole life. So, when Eva says it truly lasts a lifetime, it DOES!! So, I didn't mean to go on, but thanks for this honey!!
    LOVE, HUGS, and BLESSINGS!!
    as always
    ElianaSerenity
  • Reply #2 03/19/11  3:00pm
    I looked at helpguide site & could not find anything about EMDR. iS IT UNDER A DIFFERENT CATAGORY OR MAYBE i'M NOT DOING IT THE RIGHT WAY? ignore capial letters--sometimes computer acts crazy.
  • Reply #3 03/19/11  5:13pm
    http://www.emdr-therapy.com/emdr.html Try this one honey! I don't know what is up with that one, but you were right, when I did it, it didn't really work either, I think you would have had to go to the right and find it, and I don't want that going on, so this one will help. I am so sorry. Try this one and it will give you some more info!!
    HUGS
    as always
    ElianaSerenity
  • Reply #4 03/20/11  5:17pm
    Thanks so much for the emdr site. I'm definitely going to talk with my psychiatrist this week about it. I do have quite a number of issues that have going on for a long time & regular therapy has not helped me. I've tried many anti-depressents which did not help either. I feel hopeful about this form of therapy. Love, Sandragal
  • Reply #5 03/21/11  9:47am
    I am so glad honey! I hope it helps you, I start on April 18th, so it will be something new for the both of us! Good luck to you!!
    HUGS
    ElianaSerenity
  • Reply #6 03/22/11  6:19am
    "by an intimate partner against another" You know, I really should have read that closer....it can be from a parent, a child, or any relationship situation. Hugs ♥
  • Reply #7 03/22/11  12:11pm
    Oh yes honey, it can be!! I think it would be a wonderful thing for anyone that has had child abuse PTSD or anyting like that to get. It is done for any type of PTSD!
    Love, hugs, and blessings
    as always
    ElianaSerenity

Welcome

Join This Group

This is a safe place to share your stories and experiences you or someone you love in your life about domestic violence. Whether you are female, male, or a teen, it doesn't matter. There is parent/child, sibling/sibling, spouse/spouse, it doesn't matter. So if you are a survivor or are currently going through a violent situation, please come to this open forum, and share with each other a path towards healing. Many of us have been down the same path so lets join together and please sha