Discussion Topic

ARE MENTHOLS WORSE FOR YOU?

Posted on 04/07/08, 06:15 am
I'VE HEARD MENTHOLS ARE WORSE FOR YOU. NOT IN A LUNG CANCER SORT OF WAY, BUT MAKING YOU COUGH. HAS ANYONE ELSE HEARD THIS? I USED TO SMOKE MENTHOLS AND WOULD COUGH A LOT MORE, THEN I SWITCHED. THEN I MIGHT START COUGHING WITH REGULAR CIGS AND BUY A PACK OF MENTHOLS AND IT WOULD CLEAR ME UP. WEIRD HUH? ANY OPINIONS ON THIS?
Showing 5 Replies
  • Reply #1 04/07/08  12:55pm
    lol fibreglass? nooooo that would be a tad illegal, not even allowed to use it as loft insulation anymore, nevermind inhale it lol
  • Reply #2 04/07/08  2:33pm
    Before I quit I looked into this to see if there was any other approach I could take... Menthol is worse because it has a more addictive ingrediant that cause the cool sensation when you inhale. You don't feel the burn as much so you smoke even more.. or that is what I read.. I never liked them so I was hoping the would encourage me to quit. And if they werent so bad maybe I could use them as a crutch every once in a while... No such luck any way I realized it wasn't going to be easy but it was going to be worth it.. I am 5 days smoke free!! Loving life and feeling better :)
  • Reply #3 04/07/08  4:12pm
    yeah the research shows that menthol smokers are among a higher risk of respiratory illness from smoking, and that's attributed to the cooling, refreshing effect of menthol allowing you too breath deeper and hold in longer...
    and ppl laugh when i say i smoke menthols.... i'm dicing with death! lol
  • Reply #4 04/07/08  8:55pm
    yES I HEARD MENTHOL CIGS HAVE FIBERGLASS, SO IF THIS IS TRUE THEN YES. fIBERGLASS CAN STICK TO YOUR THROAT AND IN TIME IT CAN CAUSE BLEEDING. HMMM, I THINK I SHOULD SWITCH BRANDS LOL.
  • Reply #5 04/08/08  7:40pm
    Menthols are more addictive because the cooling effect allows you to inhale more smoke (and nicotine) deeper into your lungs more often. As for the fiberglass in it, BS. A filter is a filter. They use the same ones on menthols as they do regulars.

When I smoked, I would try menthols from time to time, but they always made me feel "fluey" after the third or fourth one, so I quit trying them all together. I liked the taste, but did not like the sickly feeling.

Shevie

Welcome

Join This Group

A place for people to come and share their stories of how they have quit smoking or how they are trying to quit and the struggles they face each day OR for smokers who just dont want to quit andor not yet ready. Both are welcome here. A non-judgemental place for smokers and non-smokers alike. Please feel free to discuss any topic you wish that pertains to smoking. Smokers we want your input too!