Discussion Topic

Monolaurin recommended by Mark Mincolla

Posted on 09/02/13, 09:06 pm
Hey all,

Was chatting with Mark Mincolla on Facebook, he does a lot of healing work with cancer, and various other conditions. I asked if he has had any success in treating Hep C. He said yes. Here was his recommendation:
Avoid corn, yolks, nuts, and fermented foods. Take 3600 mg monolaurin, 3000 mg lysine, 1500 mg of transfer point beta glucan, and Natural Sources, All Liver 4 tabs. All foods must be lightly cooked and served warm. Use fresh organic foods only.

Still pricing out all of this but so far have found the All Liver at Iherb for $7.50/60 tabs. The L-Lysine 1000mg/100 for $8.40 at I herb. The Transfer Point Beta Glucan was a bit pricey, around $65 I think...And then I came across this interesting link when Googling for monolaurin:

http://www.inspirednutrition.com/3/...

Wondering if anyone has had any positive results with any of the above mentioned, or any thoughts on the recommendation? Mark has a health radio show and a healing center in Vermont? He is in Boston at the moment, but I've been following his work for some time.

:-)
Showing 1 - 10 of 17 Replies
  • Reply #1 09/03/13  3:28am
    Monolaurin is in coconut oil. What I googled and got did not mention it being anti-viral against Hep C. Not until I googled monolaurin HCV.

What I read said that it kept the virus from uncloaking, which prevented it getting into cells. What I've read about HCV is that it coats itself to get INTO the cell, then uncloaks and replicates. It was clear to me that in that case, monolaurin would not prevent HCV from entering a cell, and it the monolaurin doesn't get inside the cell to stop the virus once inside the cell.....well, it seems that further research is needed.

http://www.wellnessresources.com/ti...
    does not mention HCV as one of the viruses it works on. It is not effective against the common cold virus. Vitamin C is effective against cold viruses. I've had good results lowering my ALT/AST with Vit C.

It says it shows some antiviral activity in test tubes, but has not been tested in the body.

Still I do love my coconut oil and take some almost every day. I put it in my dinner AFTER it is cooked, so that the oil is not cooked. High heat will destroy the flavor and probably some of the value. I can taste it in the cookies and oat cakes I make, so low heat doesn't destroy the flavor.

I love Natural Sources Black cherry and Elderberry concentrates! They taste so good! I haven't tried the liver or other organ supplements.

I just googled beta glucans, and they are in oats. Also in nutritional yeast. They occur most commonly as cellulose in plants, the bran of cereal grains, the cell wall of baker's yeast, certain fungi, mushrooms and bacteria.
    Oat is a rich source of the water-soluble fibre (1,3/1,4) β-glucan, and its effects on health have been extensively studied the last 30 years. Oat β-glucans are the only dietary fiber currently recognized by the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) to be able to reduce a disease risk. *wiki*

I get my lysine in powder form and add it to water or juice. Very cheap that way. I'm not sure why he says to avoid nuts. Walnuts and almonds are rich sources of Omega 3. Good for lowering LDL cholesterol, which I understand the virus uses to coat itself.

The bio-fibrin on the link you shared has grapefruit seed extract in it. That is nasty stuff, according to google. It a chemically extracted extract and I would not ingest it. I have a bottle somewhere I bought before I found out how it is made.
    I avoid serrapeptase, it's from silkworms. I take nattokinase, bromelain and papain.
    The Foundation supplement is what I would call a designer supplement, you really don't need all that in the vitamin. It's much better to eat the foods. 1000 mg is like 1/5 of a tsp. That's how much fruits and veggie extracts you get. I think you're better off eating the whole food, what is lost in the extract process? Beta glucans for one, if they are in the fiber or cellulose, which is generally removed during extraction.

Yolks, now, they have lecithin in them, and lecithin is good for the brain and the liver. Lecithin protects the liver from alcohol and other toxin-induced damage by discouraging the accumulation of fat in liver tissue, thereby preventing the development of fatty liver, which can lead to fibrosis, or scar tissue in the liver. Lecithin may prevent liver fibrosis by increasing the breakdown of collagen -- a protein component of scar tissue -- by as much as 60 percent

http://www.livestrong.com/article/4...

I don't eat a lot of eggs, but I do take lecithin every day in my smoothie. It provide PPC, which is also beneficial for the brain and memory.

I do not eat a lot of corn. I don't have any growing in the garden. No zucchini or cucumbers either, they just don't have much nutritional value. I do love the occasional bowl of popcorn, always air popped and organic. I'll spray a little Brag's liquid aminos or some coconut oil on it. Maybe once every other month.

I don't eat pickles, but I love capers, and capers are in liver formulas. It depends on the ferment. Yogurt is fermented and is full of probiotics as are many other ferments. Natto kinase is from fermented soybeans. I'm thinking about trying to make some this winter. What fun that will be!

His recommendation of Lysine and avoiding nuts makes me wonder if he's mixing HCV up with Herpes.

So, I hope you don't mind my feed back, let us know what you think, ok?
  • Reply #2 09/03/13  7:58am
    Thanks Mak, you are a powerhouse of information! :-)

I am mainly interested in taking the monolaurin, and planned to research out his other recommendations.

I have also heard that almonds/walnuts are okay, I think it was peanuts that are a no no for liver problems.

I do take and use coconut oil, but am interested in finding out more about these higher concentrated amounts found in the monolaurin. In this article from Hepatitis Central, it discusses how lauric acid, which converts to monolaurin in the body, dissolves the cell membrane. I would like to see more reults/tests of this. http://www.hepatitis-central.com/mt...

The Bio-Fibrin product just had way too much going on it for my liking, especially the grapefruit extract. I occasionally take small dose alprazolam/xanax for anxiety and cannot have grapefuit anything. And the serrapeptase from silkworms kind of kinks my vegan lifestyle. Haha. Though I am on the fence about the liver tablets, Lloyd Wright swears to have success in using those live liver, thymus,etc. Though he also sells the product which always makes me a bit leery. What I like about Mincolla is that he doesn't sell any products, and has a Facebook page where he posts results from his recommendations. Heck, I didn't even pay to chat with him.

I have been doing an herbal supplement blend through a company that does saliva testing on and off for several years, and I have always tested that soy, even organic non-gmo, is a 10 ( on a scale of 0-10) for toxicity for ME, so I avoid that. I also avoid all corn, since there's so much gmo going around in it.

What I do know is that I have no insurance, nor wish to take on the expense of the available treatments and laundry list of side effects that go along with it. So I'm having to play doctor on myself. I juice daily, eat an all organic plant based diet, and have done a combination of herbs,glutathione, spirulina, mega dosed Vitamin C, for the past 90 days. I am going to have a liver panel bloodtest done this weekend and see what things look like since I changed diet, started to juice, and back to the yoga. Will post initial results thus far, then will add the monolaurin and test again in 3 months, including viral load which was 2 miliion 90 days ago.

• Reply #3 09/03/13  9:03pm
    Whenever I read something like that, I hope it's not true becuase almond butter is one of my main proteins and popcorn is my favorite snack. I like the parts about adding supportive foods or supplements much better than cutting more stuff out of my diet. But if anyone tries it and it works, I'm game. Keep us posted.
  • Reply #4 09/04/13  2:52am
    Hi Everyone :) I'm sorry I don't post much, but I do bop over here from time to time.

I'd been wanting to post how valuable monolauren has been for me.
    Coconut oil has always had amazing effects on me, and the monolauren concentrates the most beneficial part of coconut oil, lauric acid.
    I had started to feel sick to my stomach eating too much coconut oil and didn't feel like eating anything - maybe my liver couldn't handle all the fat - so this has been a great find.

Anyway, my symptoms are helped a lot with it - it's on my top 5 things I wouldn't do without.
    If you try it though best to go with a reputable brand, and be sure and get the kind taken internally as opposed to the topical type used for skin care.

http://lauricidin.com/

A little paragraph about it, in Natural News:

"When lauric acid is present in the body, it is converted into monolaurin, a monoglyceride compound which exhibits antiviral, antimicrobial, antiprotozoal and antifungal properties. It acts by disrupting the lipid membranes in organisms like fungus, bacteria and viruses, thus destroying them".

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/026819_l...
  • Reply #5 09/04/13  8:06pm
    @newmoon, what brand do you like?
  • Reply #6 09/05/13  5:31am
    Hi! great conversation! The things about corn and peanuts is the aflatoxins. They are molds that grow on grains and nuts, mostly. Peanuts that taste stale, same with tree nuts, and seeds they make into oils can all have aflatoxins, which can hurt the liver and cause cancer. Peanuts and peanut butter are some of the most rigorously tested products by FDA because they frequently contain aflatoxins and are widely consumed.

You can reduce aflatoxin intake by:

Buying only major brands of nuts and nut butters
    Discarding any nuts that look moldy, discolored or shriveled

You need to know what fresh tastes like and reject stale stuff.

Also, in the book, Healing Cancer from Inside Out, report on a study done with rats. They were injected with aflatoxins. Then fed 20% animal protein diet and tumors grew in size. Then fed 20% plant protein and tumors shrank in size. Then back on the animal protein the tumors grew. Back on the vegan diet they shrank. He recommended, as a result of the study, that safe levels of animal protein in the diet were at 5% of calories coming from animal protein, which, on a 2000 calorie diet, would be 100 calories, so one egg a day, or a small piece of meat, fat free you would get a larger portion. Fat counts, not just protein, and by the way, most of us know that the body cannot get rid of toxins, it stores toxins in fat cells.

yogiji, what I've read suggests that taking glutathione is not as effective as taking ALA, NAC, SAMe, coffee enemas, these are things that boost the body's production of glutathione. Coffee enemas will increase glutathione levels in the liver 6-7 times. Taking glutathione, well, it generally gets broken down before it gets to the liver. Plus it's expensive. ALA is much cheaper and I've been taking that for years. I used to take the NAC and SAMe as well, but it got to be too expensive. The most important things to take, according to Berkson, are the ALA, selenium and silymarin from Milk thistle.
  • Reply #7 09/05/13  8:13am
    Mak1ah, the 'glutathione' supplement I take is a product from Max International. Actually, I switched to the original developers blend which is Dr. Rob Keller MD, as it is less expensive.

From what I have researched, products that claim to increase your glutathione by taking it as a supplement can be somewhat misleading. The truth is that your body does not need to have it introduced as an external nutrient, but rather the tripeptide can be produced within your own body. Our natural human state of health involves healthy production of glutathione that assists as an antioxidant to remove the effects of oxidation on our cells. Oxidation is a normal part of biological function and glutathione is a powerful agent that removes that toxicity from our cells before they contribute to other health concerns (according to research) including Alzheimer’s, premature aging (internally and externally), inflammation and other ailments.

The one I take helps the body to create the Glutathione it needs, rather than supplementing with it. Here are the ingredients:
    Vitamin C as calcium ascorbate usp - 500mg
    NAC - 750mg
    ALA - 150 mg
    'Proprietary Glutathione Absorption & Recycling Blend' (Cordyceps, N-Acetyl D-Glucosamine, Quercetin, Milk Thistle Extract 80% Similarian) - 976mg

It runs $39.95 for a months supply if you autoship. If anyone is interested I can link to a 50% off first order coupon. The dosage is 6 in the morning, but I like to take 3 2x a day, and you can take more if your felling a bit sluggish on some days.

I also eat Brazil nuts for the selenium. I will have to post the 'raw' mango kiwi pie with Brazil nut crust I made. It turned out like a chessecake and we had it and all of it's enzyme-y deliciousness finished in two days! :-)

I have read about the aflatoxins. My yoga teacher Yogi Bhajan used to say in his indian accent "You cannot get to heaven if you eat a lot of peanut butter", LOL, mainly as it is hard to digest. Ever since laughing at his statement, I gravitated towards almond butter which I make with my Champion juicer. Or buy the 'raw' kind through Vitacost, which they just had, and may still, a BOGO 50% sale on, so I should have 4 jars tomorrow :-)

My whole vegan things started 3 months ago in response to watching/reading all of the Gerson Therapy books and videos. I bought the Champion juicer as I couldn't afford the Norwalk (that's like 3 months rent, LOL). After I calculated the weekly grocery bill on produce alone, I thought "I am going to have to modify". So I do the juicing and have been trying all kinds of vegan recipes/inventions. Never was much of a red meat eater though. But I thought a few months cutting out cheese, sugar, coffee, alcohol, white flour, and corn would be a nice little vacation. So far it has been a fun experiment!

Regarding the coffee enemas, I have the hardest time (how to say this nice....) keeping it in for the recommended 15 minutes. So again, I have had to modify. How funny is it to say that I have a goal to be able to hold an enema to time?!
  • Reply #8 09/08/13  4:11pm
  • Reply #9 09/08/13  4:48pm
    coffee enemas, i only hold 4 oz at a time. Try that. I use a little Fleet enema bottle, and refill it over and over, until I'm done, and hold each one for 12-15 minutes. Sometimes I forget and it's hours. LOL Which is fine. The toxins that are released from the liver do not leave the body with the coffee, they travel through the digestive tract and are released the following day generally. It is important to eat a lot of fiber, as fiber will absorb the toxins that are in the liver bile, so they don't get reabsorbed. Dried beans, apples, oats, veggies and fruits are full of fiber.

Calcium ascorbate is what I was using, until someone told me they generally use calcium carbonate to buffer vitamin C. So I buy unbuffered vitamin C now and buffer it myself. Ginger juice is a good source of plant calcium. I freeze ginger juice in ice cube trays and add 3 cubes to 60 oz of kombucha, along with 4 cubes of lemon juice. I believe a cube is about an ounce. Then I add 10 grams of vitamin C crystals to a 16 oz jar and drink one 3 times a day. Sometimes 4. I'm titrating.

http://vitamincfoundation.org/www.o...
  • Reply #10 10/01/13  10:57pm
    hey Yogii
    I'm interested in the 50% off hook up... I would like to try that product and , as always, I appreciate the amount of information you all possess. thanks so much.
    I too have trouble keeping the coffee enema in for longer than a minute or two... I think Mak1Ih says it takes practice.

Welcome

Join This Group

Whether you have HCV or not, take charge of your health. This group is about what you can do to improve your health. To search this group, google dailystrength alternative and what you are looking for. "dailystrength alternative coffee" will bring up discussions about coffee.