Discussion Topic

Best And Worst Places To Live

Posted on 06/18/11, 07:10 pm
What are the best places and worst places in the world for disabled people to live in? Can you name a city, state or province, or country?
Showing 10 Replies
  • Reply #1 06/20/11  4:47am
    I can only speak for me. But the worst sort of place for me to live is in the country. I cannot drive so it makes things inaccessible to me. And in my experience people are more closed minded and cliquey there, there are fewer people who are different.

The best place to live is a city, and my favourite city is London where I live. Everything is accessible and there are so many things to do. And there are so many different people, who seem more broadminded too.
  • Reply #2 06/20/11  6:00pm
    Ditto, Replying for myself, a big city would be too much. I suffer from allergies to pollution etc. The confusion of traffic and a larger area would be difficult for me memory issues. I live in a town that has transportation,medical services etc available but not too difficult for me to navigate in.

I enjoy having the country close by. When I can drive, it is really great to see the cows,sheep, goats and farms 15 minutes away.I enjoy walking in the woods. It is like a mini vacation for me. People bring extra's from their garden or a hunting trip to church to give away! People can be people any where. You just have to keep looking for your special group. I have found cliques in Big Cities as well.

Regarding disabilities and loneliness, the smaller the group of people with similar experiences does limit the pool of available potential friends. That is why this forum is so important.
    P.S. I live in Far North West Washington State.
  • Reply #3 06/22/11  7:19am
    That's interesting, stillable. I find the challenge of living in a big city helps me. Without the constant challenges I would soon get isolated and depressed. The countryside is pretty but as I cannot drive it is no good for me to live there. I love the way different groups live so close together in cities and the fact there is so much to see and do.
  • Reply #4 06/22/11  3:18pm
    It is tremendous that we both like where we live! Considering that we have differing needs, what could be better that both are available to us!
  • Reply #5 06/28/11  10:25am
    That is very true. I am glad I have been so lucky in my life, despite my limitations.
  • Reply #6 07/13/11  8:46am
    I like where I live in the country. Its quiet and comfortable. I live in Hilliard. Florida.
  • Reply #7 07/20/11  5:53pm
    The Florida weather close to the ocean makes me feel better, less joint pain, the warm ocean water makes my pain less as well.I hate NC makes me have allergies bad, the humidity, makes my joints hurt all the time.I also love the white sand in Florida because the floors stay cleaner and there is less dust in the house.In NC the red mud keeps the floors and shoes and car dirty all the time.I want to move out of NC super bad.I miss Fl. every single day.
  • Reply #8 07/20/11  5:54pm
    A sunny place also helps prevent depression ,the seasonal type.
  • Reply #9 07/21/11  4:41am
    I prefer the cooler weather here in London. I find I get irritable and tired when it is hot. I love watching the rain from my window. Everyone is moaning at the minute since it is July and chilly and raining but I don't mind. We went to the sea last weekend and got so wet but it was loads of fun.
  • Reply #10 08/01/11  1:53pm
    Finally we agree, Lizzie, I love the cool weather. Rain does not really bother me unless it goes on too long.

Welcome

Join This Group

We would be delighted to have you join our group. A Capable Disabled Group is a mutual support group for persons who are disabled, handicapped, differently abled, or have other conditions, along with our friends and caregivers. We discuss what matters to us, learn from each other, and strive to improve our lives.