Scleroderma Support Group
Scleroderma is a rare, chronic disease characterized by excessive deposits of collagen. Scleroderma affects the skin, and in more serious cases it can affect the blood vessels and internal organs. The most evident symptom is the hardening of the skin and associated scarring.
At this point some scleroderma specialist might diagnose you with limited systemic sclerosis, and some might call it "undifferentiated connective tissue disease with features of scleroderma" until you develop more signs. It depends on the doctor. Even then, they may feel it's too early to treat it.
1.I would suggest making an appointment with an actual scleroderma specialist. You can find the one nearest you, by Googling either EUSTAR or Scleroderma Clinical Trials Consortium.
Then do these things:
2. If you smoke, quit. Smoking will hasten the lung deterioration of scleroderma. Nicotine and caffeine both also vasoconstrict the blood vessels, aggravating Raynauds.
3. Avoid caffeinated beverages and chocolate for the same reason
4. If you have constipation start taking a stool softener. Severe constipation, left untreated can lead to diverticulitis, and intestinal perforations.
5. Have your doc check your serum Vit D level - it's often subnormal in scleroderma. Take supplemental D to get and maintain your blood levels of D in the normal range.
6. Have a Dexa scan at least every other year - osteoporosis is more common in scleroderma.
7. If your Dexa scan shows osteopenia or osteoporosis, start taking a calcium-magnesium supplement. Calcium citrate is less constipating than calcium carbonate. Make sure the doc keeps a watch on your serum calcium levels
8. If you are having any neuropathic pain, talk to a neurologist about alpha lipoic acid.
9. Keep your hands and feet warm. Wear mittens to bed if you have too. I do in wintertime! I use silk gloveliners when typing also, if my fingers are chilly.
10. Scleroderma can sometimes narrow the esophagus enough to cause obstructive sleep apnea. If you are having trouble sleeping, get a sleep study. Untreated sleep apnea can hasten the development of pulmonary hypertension, which is already a common problem in limited scleroderma. If you have apneas, be religious about using your CPAP machine.
11. If you are huffing of puffing, or coughing, make sure the doc does an echocardiogram and pulmonary function test. These are routine tests that all scleroderma docs do.
12. If you have gastric reflux, make sure you eat your last meal of the day well before bedtime, and ask your doc about proton pump inhibitors, such as Nexium.
13 Ask your doc about Curcumin.
Let me know if you ever want to talk, my email is : kerry23@optonline.net
You only have to watch this video with Dr. Wigley to realize what an emotional impact it must have on them. I'm referring to the part at the very end of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qrx5WjQwcj4 . Now, I grant you, this video was made in 2005, and we have some better drugs now, but still no cures. A recent study said that about 50% of people with scleroderma still die OF it, and still more die of conditions exacerbated by the scleroderma.
We need a cure, and if not that, better drugs to control it.
I was dx'd with CREST earlier this year by a naturopath. She was the only who really listened to my health complaints seriously and did the blood tests. She was really great and encouraged me to see a dermatologist and a reumy. At least I have some answers now. Please take care of yourself and I think that the advise by Gardener21 is perfect. Make sure you watch your diet. I have recurring diveritulitis and it is NOT fun. I hope you find some caring doctors near you but remember that you will have to be your own advocate, too!
Take care!
:o)
Good luck. I do very gentle stuff and I do feel a bit better. I have a lot of metal in me though.
So what do we think of the placquenil? Are any of you taking this? If not what meds are you all taking and for what?
Thanks again all and God bless you. This is the best, on-the-mark information I have gotten to date. See the rheumy next week and will see what he says. Will give him a chance to redeem himself. He did say 'MCTD/connective tissue disease'. Guess he didn't want to utter the dreaded 'S' word without more bloodwork. I'll let you know what I find out if you all are interested.
They said MCTD to me too, I don't know if that was an overlap or was it another term for SD. I am currently NOT on any treatment and was diagnosed in June 2010, still searching for doctor that will treat me with antibiotic protocol as used with some patients on Road back foundation.
Lots of great info there: Check it out I have limited too, but it is in my esophagus and have to go for endoscopy along with cat scan of lungs.
Scared to hear those results. Again, fighting with these doctors....one said to me, "you shouldn't be in so much pain" (this statement came from a SD specialist. Well, if he had looked in my chart he would have seen I have Fibromyalgia on top of all of this. I am done with him too.
Going to Dr. B. from Rhinebeck NY on Oct. 11, have heard he is excellent. Good luck and keep searching for a good specialist!
Kerry
Again, they are all similiar in symptoms. Go get the book Living well with Autoimmune diseases: Mary J. Shomon: Very informative on all of them and you will see what I am talking about. I am now reading her other book "Living Well with Chronoic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia" which Fibro goes with all of them. I got that too. Are you in pain? I am 24/7, stress makes it worse, I am so tired all day.
Kerry
All the toxins we are exposed to add up to make us very sick.