Tithing and Social Security
I want to ask this question to those who are collecting Social Security, I am a devout Christian, a Mormon and I pay tithing. One tenth of tithing of my earnings. I don't have a job right now, and I collect Social Security for our household. Am I expected to pay tithing on Social Security?
Posted on 09/11/10, 12:36 pm
Reminder: This is a support group for Widows & Widowers. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 09/11/10  12:39pm
" Think that my answer would be pray about it....whatever the Lord lays on your heart........
L "
Reply #2 - 09/11/10  1:56pm
" Great question, Shelley. And one that I will be answering myself, should my SSI claim be approved. My sense is that Social Security was set up just as the name implies. "Security".. Yours and your family's. After working your whole life, and your husband working his whole life, many have no source of income save that of Social Security. And you paid into it every working day. The amount of money that you receive is probably not nearly enough to provide your family with all of their physical needs, let alone the needs of the church. I think God understands this. Tithing, to me, is something that one willingly includes in his/her budget in order to favor the Lord with part of the fruits of their labor. This is given along the road to material gain. While you may certainly, if you feel you must, tithe your 10% to the church, I don't believe God or the members of your congregation would love you any less if you were not able to tithe at this time.......Just my opinion..............Joe....:-) "
Reply #3 - 09/11/10  2:27pm
" I am the accountant for my church and we just feel you should do what you can. The people on pensions do give when they can. No church will expect you to not have money for food or see your children not be provided for. If it makes you feel better about your situation...talk to your pastor. peace...Kaaren "
Reply #4 - 09/11/10  2:42pm
" I'm on SSI...I'm pretty consistent with paying my 10% & somehow, God always seems to make the remainder stretch as far as I need it to, but I agree with the others...pray about, give what you can, when you can...I do what God has laid on MY heart...His will for you may be different...we should always seek HIS counsel above all others...He won't steer you wrong... ~E~ "
Reply #5 - 09/11/10  2:47pm
" Just another quick thought...in reading Scriptures, there are passages that the Church has a responsibility to help take care of the widows and orphans...I think it's reasonable to assume they would not want you to ignore yours or your childrens needs or cause yourselves to be in want... "
Reply #6 - 09/12/10  2:23pm
" I am interpreting this as your asking the question whether WE think you should tithe your social security, not what would your church think? I am not a Mormon and although some of the churches I have attended over the years did push the idea of the tithe, I never was financially able to seriously consider it. The fact is our culture today is so different than Bible times - we have to pay money out for so many things that people back then could barter for, or even do without. It is extremely hard to do 10% in today's economy. I am also living on Social Security and giving my church about 2%. It's not much, but at least it is steady and they can count on it, so I feel good about it. laurabp "
Reply #7 - 09/12/10  3:28pm
" Hi. I'm LDS too. You might want to read the story of the widow's mite in the O.T. Would you deny the Lord the avenue to bless you as he only can through the proper payment of tithes? Social Security is considered "increase". I have a pension and SS, and I tithe both of them, even though, technically, I haven't "earned" any of it by any work I did in that month. The Lord wants to bless you, and says he'll open the windows of heaven to you, contingent upon obedience, as Nephi says. Sorry to be so doctrinal, but I've received so much help from the Lord through the honest payment of tithes, I wouldn't want to even TRY to go it alone. I think you'll find that your money will stretch much further if you give the Lord the tenth he is due. It's really his money after all, isn't it? You can also ask your bishop for his counsel. "
Reply #8 - 09/12/10  7:15pm
" Honestly, I think charity begins at home. Hug, Donna "
Reply #9 - 09/13/10  1:49am
" I Believe that God already knows your circumstance and He understands that you have to clothe, feed and house your children plus pay all the other bills that you have, so for now pay what you can and at some point in time when you are able tithe then. I know with the bills I have I give what I can. "
Reply #10 - 09/13/10  5:40am
" Prayer is the best answer that I know. I try to give my 10%, or a little more. I don't have kids at home to take care of though. It's usually my experience that I am paid back in some way. Over the years, I know I didn't use to give 10%, just what I could. Several years ago it was laid on my heart to give the 10%, and I have, as far as I know, since then. I think it should be what you "feel" you can give.

Hugs, Joely "