Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
My Experience and Observations
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Here’s a little background about myself. I’ve always been in “great shape.” I started running when I was 13, cycling at 23, and hitting the gym at 19. I have continuously done all three throughout my life. From a cardiovascular standpoint, I’m in great shape. At my last physical, my doctor told me do continue doing whatever I’m doing.

Along the way, I’ve always taken some kind of supplements. Going all the way back to high school, I’ve trying a variety of things to help athletic performance, increase muscle mass, and improve general health. I’ve been a fairly loyal customer of Centrum multivitamins for about 20 years. When I think some of those supplements may have been helpful, but I could never really prove it. I never had any personal proof.

In 2004, I noticed that my body was hurting more and performing less. In 2008 I had three new medical issues pop up. In rapid succession, I was diagnosed with psoriasis, vitiligo, and an odd condition involving my eyelashes (which I neglected to get the name of). My dermatologist said there was a school of thought which held that the vitiligo was caused by a confused immune system. My optometrist said the condition involving my eyelashes was thought to be related to an autoimmune system malfunction.

When I found research linking psoriasis to a misbehaving immune system, I decided to focus my personal research in that area. I have always had a very strong immune system. Now, I feared that this strong immune system was turning itself lose on my own body.
I found a variety of independent, separate write-ups from doctors discussing how confused immune systems could cause a variety of health issues. Three of these doctors said that USANA nutritionals were the best at helping restore proper body functioning.

Oddly enough, as I was visiting my local source of propane for my BBQ, my friend there finally asked about my advancing vitiligo. He had been thinking of asking me about it for months but never built up the courage to do it. He shared with me the story of his niece who also has “lost her skin color.” She began using a battery of nutritional supplements and her skin color, he said was returning. The product? USANA supplements.

I started using USANA products in September, 2010. I played around with a variety of combinations to see what would happen. The first thing I noticed was that my body had a definite reaction. Stuff happened each time I shifted product combinations and dosages. With one combination, I saw a modest reversal in the vitiligo. With another, I saw a huge reduction in psoriasis flare-ups. About four months ago, my skin pigmentation really started fighting back. It was amazing. And while I still use the prescribed cream the fight psoriasis flare-ups, I’m using about one tube each year now.

I’m not saying that USANA products cure any of these diseases -- there is no scientific study that would support that. What I am saying is that USANA products effectively helped to bring my body chemistry back in line so my body can work the way it’s supposed to. I also don’t think it’s any coincidence that I am sleeping better, have more energy, and haven’t had a cold in a year. I’m playing baseball again (at 48!) and I feel great.

I can supply more detailed information for those who want to get healthier at the cellular level, and perhaps start beating back vitiligo.
Posted on 11/03/11, 06:46 pm
4 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Vitiligo. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 11/18/11  12:33pm
" Hi, I'm here on my husband's behalf. We're in our early 30's with 2 small children. He first started noticing his skin lightening 2-3 years ago, with just a tiny patch. It only showed up in the summer (when he was tan), and didn't get larger in area.
About 5 or 6 months ago, he started noticing it was spreading, so he sought out treatment. He gets laser treatments 3x/week and uses Protopic, in addition to some homeopathic Indian treatment he ordered online.
I guess I'm here to just see what else there is to try and also to see where I can get him some support. There's really nothing local. I know he'd LOVE to just talk to someone going through the same thing. This is really hard for him because it's on his face; the place you see when having a conversation with, and meeting, someone.
I'd like to know more about the USANA experience you've had and what it involves.
He is having a very hard time coming to terms with his new look and what the future might hold. He's depressed and out of sorts and is not coping very well. Do you know of any active online forums or a hotline or just a person going through a similar situation he could call?
Thank you for ANY information you can give me. Our family is really struggling with this right now. Thanks! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 04/16/12  4:21pm
" Hi! I'm a 25 year old female suffering with this condition. Right now my patches are comparatively small and are on my left wrist, right index finger, abdomen and both armpits. I am not receiving any treatment at the moment and would love to know more about your experience with the USANA supplements. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

thanking you,
Sammy "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 04/16/12  4:50pm
" Sammy, It is best to tackle the problem as early as possible. I waited about two years before I became frustrated with my doctors and took matters into my own hands. In two years, a person can lose a lot of pigmentation. Anyway, I am my own guinea pig and I’ve learned a few very interesting things. First, the root of vitiligo is in an immune response that inappropriately targets skin pigmentation. The question is … Why? We may never be able to answer that question fully, but getting our bodies to work better is the first step. USANA’s approach to good health is in giving your body complete and proper nutrients at the cellular level. Healthy cells mean a healthier body. The best way to do that is to use either USANA’s Essentials product or their HealthPak product. Be patient with that because while you will notice an immediate change in your overall health and energy level, it takes several months to turn around a cellular culture that has spun out of control. On top of that, USANA’s Proflavanol C100 product provides additional support to a sick immune system and at the same time increases blood flow all the way down to the capillary level. From my own experiments, this combination is key. In terms of my own experience, I’ve cycled on and off this combination to verify the effects on my skin’s pigmentation. In my case, I have stopped the loss of pigmentation by correcting my body’s overall need for nutrition. And for me, the Proflavinol C100 is key to my body producing pigmentation in either hypopigmented or depigmented areas. I’m not sure if I will eventually see a 100% return of my lost pigmentation, but I am hopeful – only time will tell. I think it’s obvious that each person will respond in slightly different ways, but my cycling experiments have been the key to understanding what my body is doing. I can help you get started with USANA when you feel the time is right. Just let me know … "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 07/21/12  3:07pm
" Interesting. I gather they are vitamins?
I have had my vitiligo for many years so not sure it would help me with that.
The energy sound nice though.
thanks "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web