Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Type 2 TN
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Anyone out there with type 2 tn? I am curious if anyone has had success with the mvd procedure with type2. I have heard
that it usually not used with type 2. What about glycerol injections? What helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted on 10/05/11, 07:26 pm
3 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Trigeminal Neuralgia. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 10/06/11  7:34pm
" Hello -

I have bilateral Type 2 TN and had MVD done on both sides. I must say that it is working, but it is working very slowly. I think that with Type 2 the nerve takes longer to heal.

It is my understanding that the more constant, burning pain happens when the deeper, larger nerve fibers are damaged, as opposed to the smaller surface ones that cause the lightning bolt pain. Therefore, there is more damage being done when you have Type 2. Knowing this information, it made me confident in my decision to get the MVDs, as I wanted to stop the damage before it became irreversible.

In fact, for people with Type 2 who have compression, the numbers are rather promising for MVD. My neurosurgeon informed me that with Type 2 TN you have a 60-70% success rate. However, I read that at a TNA conference they said there is an 80% rate of success.

There is a lot of misunderstanding in the world of TN that MVD does not work for Type 2, which is just not true.

I don't know much about glycerol injections but I assume this is not a permanent solution. If you decide to do the MVD, at the very least you will stop the damage and hopefully see a lot of improvement in your pain.

I hope this helped!
Best of luck! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 10/14/11  9:09am
" Hello Fountainhead,
Have you ever tried any alternative, such as accupuncture? I did & was cured 2 1/2years ago and it returned months ago. I had received treatment again and together with self applied Reiki (hands on energy ) treatment am now free of TN, one month and 7 days without any pain whatsover; I know it seems like only a short period of time but having no pain whatsoever is great!. I am not taking any medicication either.

I sense that most affected do not seem to have any confidence in this approach and perhaps this may be a waste of your time to read my comments but not from my standpoint. Good luck to you! Bob watches1 "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 10/18/11  4:08pm
" Hello! I had MVD surgery on 5/16/11 and my TN1 is gone but I'm sad to say it did not help my TN2. I knew that going in but was willing to take the chance if it meant I could rid myself of this horrible disease. I'm worse now and have pain 24/7. I'm back to square one in trying to find the right doctors, treatment, etc. Keep in mind that everyone is different. What works for one may or may not work for another. There are many great stories on this site of sufferers who had the surgery and have slowly gotten better. Good luck and I wish you well. Take care!
Lynn "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web