Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Social Security Disability
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I won my SSD case having Trigeminal Neuralgia. It was not easy but after 3 years of fighting I won.

This is huge for people with TN because it is not well known for SSD.

I would be happy to share my experience with anyone who has questions
Posted on 07/08/11, 12:50 pm
15 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Trigeminal Neuralgia. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 07/08/11  2:54pm
" Congratulations!!!

I do have questions. How much medicine are you on? Are you still in pain? Did you have the surgery?

I am on 600 mg of tegretol and still have pain. If I could lay down right now with some ice it would help.

Thanks!
Sandy "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 07/09/11  11:15am
" That is great! I got mine last year. Each state approves ssd. Each state gets to make choices as to what is covered. I know that the more they learn about us the better it will be for all of us to get coverage.
Be sure to treat yourself to something!!! I got a nintendo DS that I playing puzzle and boardgames on. This really helps me to keep my mind off of pain! I also have books on tape because my side effects do not let me focus good enough to read any more. Find something like that for yourself. It can make a difference ! Thanks for sharing your great news!
Julie "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 07/09/11  4:35pm
" I’m so happy for you. Congratulations. In order to receive SSD do you have to be unemployed? :) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 07/09/11  4:40pm
" I worked a couple of jobs but could no longer handle it with the medication I was taking. I was unemployed for most of the time. Disability means you can no longer work "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 07/09/11  5:15pm
" That's what I thought. Thanks "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 07/09/11  10:14pm
" I have just been diagnosed and am only 2 weeks into this. Reading this scares me to pieces! I am happy for you. That you got some help, but the thought that this could end up disabling me is beyond scary! If you don't mind me asking....how long have you had TN, did meds not work for you, and did you go the surgery rout and still not see relief?

My best wishes to you.
Carrie "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 07/12/11  5:17pm
" I finally had to get an attorney. Was turn down twice.They had no ideal what TN was. As it turn out the attorney did't either, but with my back problems I had a better chance to get it. He thinks we wouldn't even have to go to court. This I have to give up 25% of my money. At this point I have to have help with my doctor bills. Next month it well be a year I've be off work, TN first notice in April 2010 been up to 1200mg a day of tegretol, but down to 600mg and 60mg of baclofen. Can't take meds for my back because of the extra side effects. Had to chose which pain was worst. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 07/21/11  4:55pm
" I got my SSI about a yr after I learned about the TN.Sept will be 2 yrs since docs told me about the TN and started me on Tregretol.Been up to 1200 mg a day but now down to 600mg(sometime take a extra pill when its real bad)Also when the pain is so bad I can not stand it-I go to ER and get a steriod shot.But can only take those shots like every 2 months but man it really kicks the TN out completly -but not always-lol.)I have been afraid of the surgery as so many say it comes back in a few yrs.My SSI is a very low check but it also lets me have medicaide which pays for docs visits and test plus 3 prscriptions a month.Pray you have a pain free day today.Danny "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 11/06/11  11:44pm
" I have been suffering from TN for over 3 yrs now and have just got diagnosed. I have already had my ssi hearing. The judge sent me to one of there doctors. They confirmed my condition. What gets me is instead of making a decission they are scheduling another hearing. Is that a good thing? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 11/07/11  4:59am
" I am in appeals now for my SSD. Congrats on getting yours! Makes me very hopeful. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web