Stellate Ganglion Block
Hi everyone,

I went to the pain clinic today and they mentioned getting a Stellate Ganglion Block has anyone heard or gotten this treatment? Does it work? It sounds rough to me... The procedure is an injection into your neck with numbing medication which will re-start your neurological system... like re-booting your computer? This is what I was told... you will have some drooping but only for a few hours...

I'm not sold on this... Anyone have this done or hear about it?
Posted on 05/20/11, 08:19 pm
Reminder: This is a support group for Trigeminal Neuralgia. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 05/21/11  10:41pm
" I have heard of this. They were talking about doing it to me. I did not get on with the Dr at the pain clinic. He was a jerk and didnt listen to me. All he looked at was the positive urine test for pain killers. and tried to tell me that I didnt have TN that I have TMJ. But he didnt was want to talk about the fact that the way you hold your face still can cause the TMJ. I hope your doc was better! I was told that this can help. I dont know how well this works. my neuro said that it can help. I hope you find someone who has had this done. I would like to hear what they have to say as well. Good luck and let me know if you decide to have it done! "
Reply #2 - 05/22/11  5:19pm
" Hi Julie,

I didn't have a good feeling with the Pain Clinic MD.. He came in the office and his nose was up in the air like he had poop under his nose... His assistant was really nice and explained everything to me but the Doctor was a tool.... I'm going to wait and stay on the meds for now... But some of the Physicians don't understand TN and think your searching for drugs... He explained if I had the procedure it may reduce my Tegretol and Baclofen 50% it's not worth the risk of the procedure for me.... I hope you are having a great day.... "
Reply #3 - 04/14/12  12:14pm
" I met with several different neurosurgeons who all said their special procedure was the best, but I wasn't sold on any of them. One referred me to the anesthesiologist for neurosurgeons who is also a chronic pain specialist.
I have been seeing her since last summer and she has been a big help. I have gone in 3 times now to have her perform a Medial Branch Block Injection. They last about 6-8 weeks for me, on some people it lasts longer.
I lay on a table and she has an xray machine over my neck to properly place the needles. She injects an anesthetic between the vertebrae in my neck. It hurts and is sore for a few days but it takes the sharp stabbing pain and reduces it to a mild annoyance or a wave of pain. It also helps with the constant ATN pain.9
Only word of caution is to keep covered up. I thought I was "cured" and would walk out into the cold air only to have it start hurting more later. So, continue your preventive measures, but enjoy being free from intense pain.
I have been able to cut my Tegrato0l back from 400-600 mg a day to 200, reduce my Nortriptyline and use almost no pain killers.
It may not work for everyone, but being as there are no lasting side effects, nor numbing or drooping of the face, it is worth a try. "
Reply #4 - 04/17/12  1:06pm
" Thanks Doodlebugg, It's crazy the different treatments you hear that will help... I think it's all trial and error. I had gotten shots in my face in the beginning from the pain clinic into the three branches of the TN under radiographic guidance. I would have begged for them because it worked so well. After having them a few times they stopped working. I'm going to talk to my neurologist and Pain Management physician about this procedure. Thank you for the information. :) "
Reply #5 - 04/27/12  11:05am
" I had injections in my face Its called glycerol rhizotomies. I had it done Dec 23 last year. I was pain free from that day on. My right side of my face was numb. Now 4 months later I still have alittle around my mouth and my eye. But I'm off all the meds. I can drive again I have my life back. I know it will come back some day,but I can have it done again. My Doctor said it could last up to 5 years or longer.I haven't read a of anyone else having this done and I don't know why. I'm pain free.Before I was in pain 24/7 for 2 months. I've had TN for 2 years now. "