Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
MVD Cost?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I am trying to get an estimate cost of microvascular decompression surgery and a possible source for it (if available online). It is possible that I will need this surgery so I am trying to gather as much information as possible. Does anyone have an estimate? If so, what does the estimate include (i.e. surgeon, operating room, # of days in ICU, # of days in a regular hospital room, etc.)

Thanks for your help!
Posted on 01/27/11, 10:13 am
11 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Trigeminal Neuralgia. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 01/28/11  8:02am
" Surgeon cost 20,000
Anesthesiologist 2500 (?)
1 day in ICU
6 days in regular room
total cost (I got the breakdown from my insurance) - &60,000 "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 01/28/11  8:54am
" I think mine was probably about the same cost in Southwest Louisiana. With Aetna, the out of pocket was probably under 4000.00.
I hope you can find a way to afford it if your surgeon thinks it is the thing to do.
I do not regret my decision to have MVD. Have not had one bit of pain since the surgery, except of course, the headaches for a couple of weeks after. That's to be expected, but they give you pain meds to help. Also, ice packs for the first two days really help reduce the pain. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 01/28/11  8:59am
" Klhoupt,
If you have someone to care for you at home, ask your Surgeon how soon he would allow you to go home. I was out of the hospital after only staying one day and one night. My surgeon told me if I could walk up and down the hall two or three times (with a nurse) without dizziness or any other ill effects, I could go home. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 01/28/11  6:45pm
" Randys wasn't that much in Phoenix, AZ. I'll plug in the numbers when I get home. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 01/28/11  8:50pm
" My guess in all would be around $50,000, though that is not sitting down and putting a pencil to it. I would say also my part out of pocket has been around 4,000. I had my surgery done in Dallas, TX. Insurance was BCBS. I hope you can have it , it is worth it. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 01/29/11  9:30pm
" I had my MVD surgery 5 years ago (Unfortunatley it returned 5 years later almost to the day but this is rare) at Duke University Hospital in Durham, NC. The total cost - hospital, surgion, etc. was $68,000. I had insurance and my out of pocket was $3600. This hospital like most accepted a payment plan for me to pay my portion. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 01/30/11  10:58am
" Thank you all for that information. Melanieka, who did your surgery at Duke? I live in Durham, NC but travel to Johns Hopkins Hospital (Baltimore, MD) because there is a top surgeon there and a Trigeminal Neuralgia Center. It is good to know that the surgery isn't too expensive with the help of insurance. I appreciate everyone's responses! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 02/01/11  3:35pm
" Randy's was about $42,000 in Phoenix. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 02/03/11  9:42am
" Hello-

They MVD surgery itself was $30K and then the hospital stay and anesthesia altogether was another $30K. However, with my insurance, my out of pocket cost was less than $1,400. I think my hospital stay was more b/c i was at New York Presbyterian Hospital in NYC, which tends to be more expensive. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 02/06/11  4:22pm
" My Neurosurgeon was Dr. John Sampson. I would definately contact him. I live on the NC Coast and when I googled "permant fix for TN" Duke came up. My Neurologist in Jacksonville, NC wasn't much help. He wasn't up on all the new procedures that are now available. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web