Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Inositol
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Darbylucy suggested this and I wanted to post it here again.....I think it shows promise!!!

FYI guys, there is a vitamin B supplement called INOSITOL, that you can buy at health food stores and GNC-like stores. There is actually more evidence supporting inositol's effectiveness at treating trich than there is for any psychotropic medications (antideprnts, mood stabilizers, etc).

I've used it for years, sometimes it helps with my urge, sometimes not. But, unlike the script meds I've taken,it never makes my pulling worse and it is completely safe (as far as I have been able to research) because your body expells any excess inosital.

In the begining, it may give you diarrehha (sp?). But other than that, no known side effects.

It is a slightly sweet powder, which I use instead of sugar in my coffee. This also has the added benefit of lessening your sugar intake, which some say helps with trich (altough caffeine is thought to also worsen trich- AHHHH).

By no means am I saying this is a magic cure. But it is something that has helped me, so I thought I'd pass it along.

For those who want more info on inositol; Fred Penzel who is a leading authority on trich recomends it and has a blurb on the TLC website about how much to take, benefits, etc. Find the article at:

http://www.trich.org/articles/inosi...
Posted on 05/27/08, 01:50 am
30 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Trichotillomania (Hair Pulling). We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 09/12/08  10:14am
" I am going to a behavioral therapist who specializes with Trich. She told me to take this in addition to Biotin to help hair growth/reduce urges. I've read a lot of good reviews of people with various mental disorders, ocd, bipolar, depression who have benefited from Inositol. I just started taking it. We'll see how it works! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 09/12/08  12:18pm
" thank you so much, i'm deffinatly going to try it.

i'm taking biotin, too.
it really helps with growing your hair back, but i haven't noticed it helping with urges or anything.

thank you for posting this :) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 09/12/08  6:24pm
" i have been using inositol for about a month. i've noticed positive results. i still notice urges but not nearly as many. i have combined inositol with a determination to get healthy starting with feeling better about myself. since i have to mask my thin hair daily...managing my trich is first on my to-do list! best of luck to everyone and give inositol a try. i haven't noticed any side effects. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 09/16/08  3:27am
" Both biotin and inositol are B vitamins, depending on which study you read....B's are helpful in dealing with stress!! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 09/21/08  2:59pm
" i just got some, today.
i got it at a GNC store in the mall down the road from my house. they have powder and pills, but they only had the powder in stock.

for the smallest bottle, which is around three months of use, it was fourty five dollars.
they said that we could come back and get the pills when i run out of that, and it would be a whole lot cheaper.

i got a really bad headache an hour after i took it, but i don't know if it's from that or not. anyone else get a really bad headache after taking it? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 09/21/08  9:52pm
" would taking a b complex pill be the same? cuz ive never noticed inositol in a b complex... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 09/21/08  10:43pm
" I did find it in one B complex listed by swansonvitamins.com. There is 50 mg. in that formulation. I'm not sure what the recommendation is, but I was thinking more, so it might be best to take it as a singular supplement. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 11/17/08  5:09am
" bumping "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 03/04/09  11:10pm
" I was really excited about trying Inositol after reading so much about its apparent success with OCD/trich/anxiety, but let me tell you, it messed me up when I took it. I took the equivalent of about 4 grams (1 tsp of powder) which was actually lower than some sites were recommending. About half an hour after taking it, I started to feel numb, got a headache and earache, my throat went dry and eventually sore, I became very drowsy and generally felt disconnected from my body. I didn't take any more until about a week later when I decided to take the "recommended" dose on the bottle, which was 845mg, or 1/4 tsp, to see if I had just started off too high the first time. I took it right before bed, and ended up waking up about an hour after I took it/fell asleep with the exact same symptoms before, and the next day I still felt dizzy and disconnected.

I don't want to freak anyone out, but I just thought I'd share my experience because everything I had read about Inositol prior to taking it said it had virtually no side effects, and I was NOT expecting such an intense reaction. FYI, many of the symptoms I experienced are very similiar to what are called "anticholinergic" effects, although I've been having trouble finding any literature directly linking the two. Anyway, given its popularity, I wouldn't be worried if you want to take it, but just know that there is the possibility of adverse side effects! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 03/10/09  10:32pm
" Does anyone know how inositol would react with Cymbalta (anti-depressant) and Ativan (anxiety)? I take one tablet daily of the lowest amount available. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 3 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web