Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
hot flashes?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Has anyone had hot flashes related to thyroid cancer?

I am having them all the time. I don't know if it is a cancer symptom of just the start of menopause. (I am turning 50 soon and not getting my period much anymore..)
Posted on 07/19/08, 07:59 pm
11 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Thyroid Cancer. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 07/19/08  10:35pm
" i am 28 and had my thyroid removed on the 9th of april and still have hot flashes and cold sweats both they suck big time hope this helps you "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 07/21/08  12:54am
" I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'm 28 and I'm hot all the time. My face sweats alot! I didn't know if it was the cancer or my weight. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 07/26/08  9:51am
" I've been having hot flashes lately and I had my thyroid taken out in March 2007. I know it can't be menopause because I had a total hysterectomy (ovaries and all removed) in 2004. I do have some cold spells too. I even have to go out into the hot sun to warm up. It is a bummer. I wonder if it is because they are keeping me a little hyperthyroid to keep any remaining thyroid tissue from growing? Anybody know? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 07/27/08  10:47am
" I had terrible hot flashes and night sweats before THYCA. Now, I get cold and a few times hot but my body tempature is on the low side and that its a direct effect from having my thyroid removed. Often I have heard to take your temp because it is usally low due to TT. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 07/29/08  10:55am
" I've been having hot flashes since May 08. I had 2 surgeries for thyca and radiation on 2-28-08 I also had a hystectomy in 1995, but they left my ovaries. I read that radiation can torch (my word) your ovaries, whatever may be left of them.
I went through early menopause in 1995 and this seems cruel to go through it again. I'm not totally convinced it's menopause. I DO believe there is something to having your thyroid removed that effects your temperature. Afterall, the thyroid was our temperature control before cancer. The TG and TSH levels are kept very low for cancer markers, and these levels ARE NOT what is normal. I think it screws with what female hormone levels we have left.

Any guys get hot flashes??? Help us figure out this delimma. I'm tired of doc's saying, well the 1st time you had menopause, was just a bleep and now you are going through it full blown. I can also tell you that the ht flashes are MUCH more severe than anything I had before. I get them 24-7 and they radiate differently than what I had before.

Good luck to all of you who are going through this also. I can't take estrogen, because I have two lumps being watched on my breast, so it's off to sip my black cohosh tea. It really does help. :) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 07/29/08  11:53am
" same here - I am 28 and I still have them - I thought I was going crazy! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 07/27/10  2:46pm
" I am having them. I am 36 and just diagnosed. I am having my thyroid removed next month, until then I have to suffer :( "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 07/27/10  9:53pm
" I thought I was going thru menopause again, because I am 50 now, had a hysterctomy when I was 40. Went thru the hot flashes then, am going thru them again. My daugher thinks it is funny, she sees me just sweat like a "sailor", my face is red, I am trying to pull my clothes off (when I am home) and she just laughs. I have actual "hot spots" in different areas of my body that drive me nuts. I think it is due to being so supressed on the meds. Dr explained to me the meds maintain a level of thyroid in the body but can not make the minute changes on demand the thyroid did when we had one.
Which sucks, but better than the alternative, right? Gotta keep the ice water on hand, I guess. To wear or drink, I haven't figured that one out yet. I do get extremely cold at times, like I have walked into a walk in freezer but they usually don't last too long. Not as long as the hot flashes do. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 07/31/10  1:43pm
" Hot flashes and night sweats CAN (Note: I did not say "do") indicate that your Synthroid dose is too high. The standard suppression dose is approximately 2 mcg per kilo of body weight. Endos do a lot of tinkering with dosing, and the dosing can change even after many years. A friend who had thyroid cancer 10 years ago was dropped from 112 mcg to 100 mcg on her last TSH follow-up. My surgery was last October, and I don't think I will ever feel quite the same as I did with an actual thyroid of my own. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 08/20/10  7:39pm
" I don't know if I have thyroid cancer but I am scheduled for full thyroidectomy in 2 weeks because of large nodule on right side and cysts on the left side. I lose my voice and throat is very sore and coughing alot. I have sweats but when I mentioned it to surgeon he said that it is usually from hypertyroidism and blood test showed my was functioning normal. I am still scared and the comments I have read scare me more.. I wish the best for all of you and I hope my surgery works out too.. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web