Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Is this TMJ???
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I dislocated my jaw last year. Ever since then I have had TMJ like symptoms. For the past 6 weeks, and for no known reason, I have been experiencing clicking in my jaw, popping in my ear, can't open my mouth wide enough to eat certain foods, can't eat crunchy/chewy foods without TREMENDOUS amounts of pain, random pain in my teeth, and can't bite down on my back teeth. Been to 3 doctors, a dentist, and an ENT and none of them can figure out what's going on. I finally have an appointment with an oral surgeon this week, so hopefully I can get some answers. Is this TMJ? Anybody have any suggestions? Thank you :)
Posted on 12/15/08, 03:06 am
13 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for TMJ. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 12/15/08  3:08am
" also, I have had a lot of ear pain/itching, losing my balance, sinus issues. not sure if these are related but they happened at the same time. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 12/15/08  7:31am
" Hey, sorry to hear about your pain, I'm no expert so I can only compare it to my own experience of TMJ and I have to say it sounds quite smiliar.

If it is TMJ I'd imagine it would be accompanied by signs of Bruxism, the most obvious being damage to your teeth which your dentists would jave picked up on. Bruxism can be caused by trauma to the jaw so it makes sense that your dislocation a year ago could ahve triggered it.

I heard you can get these rubber strips that you wear for afew nights and check the indents in the morning to see whether your nocternaly grinding, I can't remember what their called but atleast you'l know whether Bruxism is present or not.
It may be caused by something else but what ever it is Bruxism will make it alot worse.

I've had poping in my ear, earaches, sinus problems wierd feelings inside the bridge of my nose like someones constantly applying pressure between my eyes but my pains more of a dull ache on my right side of my jaw. I'm not sure about the itching though, but the rest definitly sounds like TMJ. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 12/15/08  8:14pm
" hello marshmallow! thank you so much for responding! i DO grind my teeth..my dentist has told me she sees that i grind and clench...even told me to get this stuff that helps to strengthen the tooth enamel because its so bad. i do have a sports nightguard that i bought in Target that i've been using and i just got fitted by my dentist last week for a real nightguard. I'm going to the oral surgeon tomorrow so I'm hoping to get some answers. yes like you said i'm also getting that pressure under my eyes...sometimes it even feels hard/stiff in that area. thank you for your response! :) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 12/15/08  9:44pm
" Hello,
I had my jaw dislocated, all these symtoms sound about right, so sorry....I know it is the worse pain I have ever felt...

The film will tell it all. Also have them check and see if you have a deviated septum, I also had that, it can be seem on film.(bone on the inside of the nose that is crooked) obtructs your airway.and causes sinus problems pressure and pain..

Take good care, and get a GREAT doctor!!!!!!!

Kathy - California "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 12/15/08  11:52pm
" thank you for your response klpeach! I am sorry that you know how I feel...it is a horrible pain. I will ask them about the septum. You would think the ENT would've found it but he was HORRIBLE! The oral surgeon was reccommended by my dentist so I hope he is good! This has been going on 6 weeks. Last week I went to the dentist for a cleaning and I couldn't even open my mouth wide enough for her to do it properly! Thank you so much! :) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 12/17/08  1:51pm
" Yes, it sounds like you are a member of our group.Sorry. Your symptoms sound so familiar. Be sure you get a GOOD doctor and progress with treatment at a slow pace. Don't jump into surgery. Good luck to you! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 12/17/08  11:16pm
" thank you shelltoesmom! i appreciate your feedback :). actually I DID find a GREAT doctor! too bad he didnt give me better news! lol. thank you :) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 01/04/09  1:01am
" This reply comes kind of late but I had the same problem (i didnt dislocate my jaw but had all the same symptoms you described) I went to an ENT he treated me for a sinus infection. When I returned a few weeks later and the symptoms didnt go away he told me to go see an oral surgeon. I did and he did an x-ray and right away diagnosed me with tmj. He fitted me for a mouthguard but my insurance wouldn't cover it so I never got it. boo to insurance! How did your appointment go? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 01/16/09  12:37am
" lavender love: thank you for your response. i had almost the EXACT situation as you, although i had kinda been diagnosed before but not really. lol long story. now i definitely been diagnosed and am on a soft food diet, meds, and physical therapy for the next two months. hope you are doing well :). "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 10/06/11  6:12pm
" I dislocated my jaw when I was nine. I did something that tweaked it when I was 15 and ended up with my jaw almost locked shut. I could only open my mouth about an inch and couldn't eat anything other than mush. After a year and TONS of doctor visits my mom took me to a Rolfer. She did a very deep tissue massage and within six weeks I was all but back to normal. 15 years later i get little flare-ups and I have to stay away from bubble gum, but I am pretty much symptom free. You may look into getting a physical therapy type massage treatement before you look into a surgery.

Good Luck! "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web