Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
possible discharge due to Syringomylia
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I was just recently diagnosed with Syringomylia and have been notified I am on the medical board. Anyone have an idea what my chances are on being discharged?
Posted on 05/27/12, 05:48 pm
17 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Syringomyelia. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 05/28/12  1:22am
" Hi brizz184,

I'm sorry, I'm not quite sure what you mean. Are you in the military and they want to discharge you due to your syrinx? I don't have any firsthand knowledge of anything to do with the military. Based soley on my own personal experience with syringomyelia, I would think that it is highly possible.

Those of us with SM are told to refrain from any kind of strenuous activity. A simple cough, sneeze, laugh, cry, yelling, bowel movements, singing, etc., can send you reeling into unfathomable pain at any given time of any given day. When you are in a "flare", it becomes hard to face the day. You are in so much pain, for such a long time and nothing works for it, and you can't imagine how you are going to live out the rest of your life.

I would say that it is highly likely.

Good news, my neuro prescribed steroid infusions. They are helping a great deal with the pain. He usually just prescribes medrol dose pak's, but I was in such a horrible flare, it didn't do anything for me. I had the infusions, and about 3-4 weeks later I felt sooooooo much better. I'm actually able to partake in life again.

I just thought that I would mention this as a viable treatment option. It worked wonders for me. However, I do have an autoimmune disorder also, and the pain could have been coming from that as well.

Beck "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 05/28/12  1:23am
" Hi brizz184,

I'm sorry, I'm not quite sure what you mean. Are you in the military and they want to discharge you due to your syrinx? I don't have any firsthand knowledge of anything to do with the military. Based soley on my own personal experience with syringomyelia, I would think that it is highly possible.

Those of us with SM are told to refrain from any kind of strenuous activity. A simple cough, sneeze, laugh, cry, yelling, bowel movements, singing, etc., can send you reeling into unfathomable pain at any given time of any given day. When you are in a "flare", it becomes hard to face the day. You are in so much pain, for such a long time and nothing works for it, and you can't imagine how you are going to live out the rest of your life.

Good news, my neuro prescribed steroid infusions. They are helping a great deal with the pain. He usually just prescribes medrol dose pak's, but I was in such a horrible flare, it didn't do anything for me. I had the infusions, and about 3-4 weeks later I felt sooooooo much better. I'm actually able to partake in life again.

I just thought that I would mention this as a viable treatment option. It worked wonders for me. However, I do have an autoimmune disorder also, and the pain could have been coming from that as well.

Beck "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 05/28/12  1:24am
" Hi brizz184,

Beck "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 05/28/12  8:55am
" Yes, sorry. I am in the military and was recently diagnosed with syringomylia . I'm not in complete pain all the time. Just a lot of pressure on my chest when I breathe where the syrinx is. I pretty much get a headache every day and like you said when I lift or do anything strenuous it flares up. I can deal with the discomfort all day until I start doing something strenuous . Thanks for the reply "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 05/29/12  6:55pm
" Hi Brizz this can go both ways. If you are fit you can stay in or if your not you will get kicked out, just having it is good enough to get out but if you fight you can stay in. However you are lucky your in the military. You will get a minimum of a full 20 year retirement for this condition. This is directly from the DoD rating. SM is a minimum 30% rating. so you keep full benefits plus whatever they rate you. You will also get VA disability GI bill and all that good stuff. I did a full 20 year retire out of the army 13 weeks in service! they tried to say I had it proir to service but it was too late it was service aggravated. If you can still work you lose none of these benefits like you would with SSDI. your double income for life. I'm working on being a state police officer and I won't lose a dollar. However if you love your job in the military and want to stay in you can try but it's hard. I've only heard of pilots staying in just because the military invested a lot into them and it was worth working with them.

This is a quote from Dod

In some instances the VASRD provides a “minimum rating” without qualification as to residuals or impairment.
Syringomyelia, 8024, is an example. Diagnosis alone is sufficient to justify the minimum rating providing the condition
is unfitting. Higher ratings may be awarded in consonance with degree of severity. No rating lower than the “minimum" may be used if the diagnosis is satisfactorily established. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 05/29/12  7:19pm
" Appreciate Ryan, well I def. plan on getting out and starting my life else where. I do not want to stay in and hopefully they just determine the severity of my case and determine what percent disability I will get. I am just trying to plan for my family to head back down to FL , but they make it hard because the process is so drawn out so far. I really appreciate your response. I have a heads up on kind of what's going to happen. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 05/29/12  8:15pm
" No problem and good luck. I was only an e3 when I got out and since I was 13 weeks in I took the 30% and ran but it sounds like you can get a higher one, on the VA side your looking at an easy 60% so you can apply for the 100 if it's too painful too work. If you have a family your all good. If you have a crazy ex wife VA disabilty can't be gaurnished lol goodluck sir and thank you for your service! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 05/29/12  8:16pm
" No problem and good luck. I was only an e3 when I got out and since I was 13 weeks in I took the 30% and ran but it sounds like you can get a higher one, on the VA side your looking at an easy 60% so you can apply for the 100 if it's too painful too work. If you have a family your all good. If you have a crazy ex wife VA disabilty can't be gaurnished lol goodluck sir and thank you for your service! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 05/29/12  8:17pm
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 05/29/12  8:17pm

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web