Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Why did I have strokes?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
One month ago at the age of 53 I found out that I had 2 TIA’s on the left side of my brain. My doctor was very surprised because I am slim, in good shape with lower than normal blood pressure, normal cholesterol level, and good eating habits (no junk food).

I saw a neurologist who did some tests to make sure that my arteries are not blocked; then prescribed daily Liptor and baby Aspirin. That is the end of it. They couldn’t find the cause of strokes.

I live alone and I am so afraid of having another stroke. I wonder what has caused my strokes. They can’t control it unless they know what has caused it.

I know uncontrolled diabetes can also cause a stroke, I don’t think I am diabetics because I don’t have any symptoms; but I did the test and I’ll know the result in a week

I am hoping that you can share the cause of your stroke or someone that you know. May be I can find the cause of my stroke through your experience.
Posted on 05/19/07, 11:22 am
12 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Stroke. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 05/21/07  10:10am
" i had a surge of blood pressure. i don't have high blood pressure but then i did not anymore or in the past. i am slim and i also don't eat junk food. but it was that time i guess. the doctors couldn't say why all they could do is treat what is wrong now. i'm not going thru life worring i am just living. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 05/21/07  12:26pm
" I would imagine that a CT at minimum, then an MRI and if needed an angiogram (actually it's an ateriogram) would tell a doctor what's wrong.

Strokes can be caused by a zillion things, such as blockage, but also by weakened arteries, head injury, etc. I was told by my doctor that "stroke" isn't really a medical term, even though we all use it as one; it's apparently a form of "the brain was stricken," or there was a strike against the brain. I've never understood the term "mini-stroke" because I think all of them count.

I'm 36, in good health other than my weight, and I've had two strokes totally unrelated to my weight. I have an AVM (arteriovenous malformation) that's about 9 cm long. Think of it as varicose or spider veins on the surface of the brain.

They found it when I had a seizure in my sleep in college 14 years ago and was taken to the hospital. The treatment for one as large and as risky as mine was to wait until something happened to it and THEN to treat it. A consensus of doctors at NYU, U of Pennsylvania, Georgetown and George Washington University. And also the chief of neurosurgery at Washington University in St. Louis.

Find a large teaching hospital near you and get tested there. That's what I've always been told--a large teaching hospital will have the largest staff and people doing research all the time. You'll notice that it's been my course of action. Email for more info.

Good luck finding out what the story is. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 05/21/07  7:57pm
" Thank you so much for your replies. It does help. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 05/27/07  9:13am
" Your question caught my eye - it's the one I'm always asking and your 1st paragraph made me write - you're my stroke twin - the only diff is my 1st was 2 1/2 yrs ago and I've have been having TIA's since. We're the same age and your description of yourself was like looking in a mirror.

I take the 81 mg aspirin - tried Plavix but bruising was spontaneous.
Have taken all sorts of cardio & neuro tests and other than finding four lesions and previous strokes I also discovered I have a white matter demylinating disease thought to be MS though unconfirmed yet.

No one to date has been able to tell me why I've had these strokes - other than hazard guesses. I have bloodwork levels to kill for yet something's very wrong with the plumbing - they just can't find it.

You mentioned you lived alone and though I don't it feels like it at times - my husband & daughter are both very busy & out most of the time so a lot of the same worry too.

Hopefully you'll have one of your tests discover what the problem is. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 05/27/07  10:57pm
" Ask your doctor if you have a pre-disposition for blood clots. It's a simple blood test, my stroke was 05/07, the test was given to me after that, then 08/07 my Mother had a stroke, she died 10 days later. ????? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 12/02/11  12:32am
" WELL I WILL SHARE THIS. EVEN FOR THE MOST PART, I ATE RIGHT,BUT I LOVED A BAG OF BUTTERY SALTY POPCORN AND SALTY PEANUTS. MY BLOOD PRESSURE WAS NOT UP WHEN MY DR. PUT ME IN THE HOSPITAL , BECAUSE I COULD NOT WALK.HE FINALLY SENT ME TO A HOSPITAL IN A LARGER CITY. THE DR THERE RAN ALL SORTS OF TEST, AND TOLD US THAT THAT HIGH CHOLESTEROL CAUSED MY STROKE. THEN WHEN I THOUGHT ABOUT IT I HAD HAD TWO SURGERIES EARLIER IN THE SAME YEAR AND COMING UP TO ME FALLING EVERY NIGHT I COULD NOT SLEEP BECAUSE BECAUSE MY LEGS WOULD HURT WAIST DOWN SO BADLY THAT I COULD NOT SLEEP. I WOULD JUST LAY AWAKE AND HURT,THAT MORNING THEY WOULD NOT HURT UNTIL I WOULD GO TO BED!! THEN THE FALLING STARTED AND SO FORTH.HOPE YOU CAN FIND SOMETHING IN THIS POST THAT WILL HELP YOU! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 12/02/11  8:44am
" Tooth pain caused my husband's stroke. He has had high blood pressure since he was in middle school, thanks to a genetic disorder. It's not easily controlled by normal blood pressure medications, and most of the time he didn't bother to take anything. He had backpacked across the country for 3 years and we were constantly outdoors hiking. Being young, slim, and athletic, he thought he was invincible. When he developed an abscessed tooth, the pain shot his bp through the roof, causing a hemorrhagic stroke in his left hemisphere. He went to bed early with a headache, and we're just lucky I woke him up when I went to bed. The dr's say he wouldn't have made it if he'd slept through the night.

I've been told that high intracranial pressure levels can cause a stroke as well. My husbands Pt told us he had a patient who had one caused by his icp raising too much when he held in sneezes. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 12/09/11  5:28am
" I had two strokes. One at 27 and another at 48. They couldn't find any reason for mine happening but I'm positive both were caused from long standing stress. I take each day as it comes as there is no point dwelling on whats to come. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 12/12/11  3:56am
" The only reason I was given for my stroke 5 years ago when I was 55, was "vascular disease". What in the world does that mean?

Two weeks before I had the stroke, I had bad headaches which I thought were sinus headaches, b/c I have had them all my life. Indeed, sinus problems may have been a contributing factor to the headaches, but they may have been stress headaches also. I had been under tremendous stress at work, working for an attorney at a state agency, who was just plain mean and abusive. We finally had a "big blowout/altercation) three days before I had the stroke.
Also I was taking sinus medication which had Sudafed in it, and my neurologist said that proably didn't help any and pushed my bp up even higher. My bp and pulse/heart rate were high. The ambulance tech told me this. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 12/12/11  4:20am
" I have been taking Plavix ever since, and I just started taking a lot of vitamins, fish oil, CO-Q 10, and am on vitamin B-12 shots b/c my B-12 was too low. . Because the stroke caused great depression, my psychiatrist put me on all these supplements. I feel they have helped some with my concentration and focus. All of my life I have struggled with depression, but this is different after the stroke--much harder to control than before. I also have Fibromyalgia, IBS, food allergies, degenerative disc disease and all kinds or arthritis. I take two blood pressure pills a day, Cartia 300 mgs., and 50- 100 milligrams of a diuretic (Aldactone) and two kind of antidepressants, Cymbalta, and Celexa, but I still do not get the relief from depression that I got from taking on antidepressant b/f the stroke. I am 61 and would to get back on my biodentical hormones because b/f the stroke, those worked well in conjunction with my antidepressant to keep me happy, and on a more even keel.
HAS ANYone else experienced insomnia; I absolutely cannot sleep without a "horse dose" of relaxants, my generic Neurotin, and 6-9 milligrams of Melatonin. You can tell by the late hour, that none of this is working well tonight. I had a tough Sunday with lots of emotional upsets of various sorts, so I am having a hard time settling down to sleep.
I also have sleep apnea, which I need to get taken care of. AND, I would really be interested to know if any of you have lost the ability to dream. I rarely do now. Before the blasted stroke, I dreamed a lot and would be able to remember them the next day and when I analyzed them, I would always be able to coonect them with something happening that day or with some thought that would run through my mind the next day.. That might sound weird, but it was actually quite nice, and I considered it a gift to be able connect my night dreams with a current happening/reflections in my daytime life. I no longer have that ability now, and as I said, I dream very rarely. I hate that b/c I think my dreaming was very important to my mental health.
Sorry for the long rambling post. I would be interested in and most appreciative of feedback particularly from anyone who can relate to anything in my comments (as well as from anybody who cares to respond.
I am just getting over pneumonia for the third time i three months, and tomrorrow will be my firt day back at work after being out a week. My doctor does not think having pneumonia three months in a row is normal, so he is sending me to a pulmonologist. I feel as though I just live between doctor visits. But I still have lots of hope, and enthusiasm for life, most of the time. Thank you for reading this very long comment. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web