Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Introduction
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Hi everyone. I am on day 14 officially smoke free. I was hospitalized on Dec 30 for a severe asthma attack and decided it was finally time. I was released from the hospital after 3 days and the first thing I did was have a cigarette..... then I tore up the rest of the pack and threw them in the trash. 3 hours later I was digging in the trash for one I could tape together and smoke.... so I covered the bits with oil and made it another 3 hours..... then I was searching the house for a butt that was smokable.... found one... then I went through the whole house and got rid of all the ashtrays and dumped them all..... but I forgot the one in the car.... then I found a pack of high end smokes my daughter bought me for christmas last year and smoked one of those..... Ok, so my first three days home from the hospital I didn't do so well..... but once all the cigarettes were gone I did ok. I am on the patch and have an E-cigarette that I take a puff of when things get tough.... down to maybe twice a day now. I am using all the nervous energy to clean up my house.... I have laundered all the drapes and bedding, washed down most of the furniture and am working on washing down the walls.... grossing myself out with all the yellow stuff that is coming off.

I am through the worst of the physical cravings but am now in a stage where I feel like I have lost my best friend... I keep thinking about all the things about smoking that I loved. I didn't really want to quit, I had to for my health. I miss lighting up in the car, and after meals, and I have a hard time talking on the phone because all I think about is smoking. Soon there won't be anything left in my house to scrub.... then what will I do to distract myself? I can't go for a walk because it is too cold (I live in Wisconsin) and it exacerbates the asthma. I have already gained weight from both snacking instead of smoking and because I am on prenisone for the asthma which causes weight gain.

Ideas? What can I do to distract myself? I really am determined to make it this time.
Posted on 01/17/13, 11:22 am
10 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Smoking Addiction & Recovery. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 01/17/13  1:01pm
" Hi Divine and welcome to the 'family' of quitters. You have made the excellent decision to quit this habit that is slowly killing you. Washing everything you can is great as it gets 'most' of the stench out.Please be careful that the Ecig doesn't become a replacement to the actual cigarette. Remember that the Ecig ALSO contains nicotine. You need to also get past the Physical habit of holding that smoke in your hand.Try to keep your hands busy. Thanks to my grandchildren, I was never out of play dough. Please check out our sub group 'Good Posts' as there is an EXCELLENT post there titled My Friend the Cigarette. They really are NOT our friends.

Please join us for our Daily Roll Call and when you are cigarette free also do the daily Pledge. Come here whenever you struggle as there is almost always someone here to help you thru the rough patches.

Remember, we are all here for the same goal. To become cigarette free and to live a smoke free life. We ALL started off on day 1. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 01/17/13  1:13pm
" Hello and welcome!!! I know how you feel. When I first quit I cleaned and recleaned, then I felt lost. It takes time to adjust to life without smoking. Focus on one minute, one hour, and one day at a time. I used to tell myself that I just had to get through the next hour (I said that over and over) or just get through the day. Slowly your mind will learn to not associate smoking with doing other things. Driving and talking on the phone were very hard for me as well. Keep water near, and sugarless gum and candy. I know it is hard, but the longer you stay strong and beat the cravings, the easier it gets. I also found the journal here very helpful. I wrote everyday about how I felt, how hard it was to avoid smoking. After just one week, I was able to look back and see a dramatic change. And of course, we are all here to support you! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 01/17/13  3:35pm
" Welcome, Divine "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 01/17/13  4:56pm
" Divine,

Welcome to forum here! Lots of wonderful folks here!! So happy you have quit smoking!! Sounds like a rocky start, but like you are on track now! I smoked outside for most all of my smoking years, well the last 25 or so! Anyway-so I didn't have the house to clean and scrub, but clothing I had worn outside to smoke in? Those reeked and I had to wash a few coats!!

I think its great you have the patch, but be careful to noy overdose on it-by adding the e-cigg. I'm not really up on all the info, (i quit cold turkey) but i do think you can overdose on nicotine patches if you smoke as well, without removing them first. Burt then you may already already know this!

I would (as someone else said) be careful with the e-cigg. as well. To not let it become an addiction/ habit that you then have to break along with quitting reg. ciggs. That oral and hand thing is for real!!

Please come stick close to the forum, do the daily check in and pledge. Read through the "good posts". Lots of good info there.

& Try to remember each crave only lasts less than 5 mins.! There are 5 D's we refer to around the forum, these are:

Delay, Distract, deep breaths, drink water, and DS, come to post or read here.All are useful!! Soon the hardest part of your quit will be over and you'll feel so much better and I'm sure grateful to be smoke free!!

Blessings to you,

Jess "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 01/17/13  5:35pm
" Hi and welcome..I also have Asthma..ask your Doc to change your Meds..those Steroids are awful. There are many out there.

I hope you no longer use the E-cig and are on your way to recovering from this terrible addiction.

Find a hobby, read, I work Jigsaw Puzzles..keeps the hands busy...LOL Help a neighbor or friend. There is a life without a smoke.. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 01/17/13  6:15pm
" hi and welcome. Its a nasty deadly addiction and it isnt easy quitting but its doable. When you crave remember the 5D,s delay,distract,deep breathe,drink water and discuss.
This support group will help you and its mush easier to stay quit if you have support.
Take one day at a time
You can do this
Hugs Deb "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 01/18/13  1:25pm
" hi i have come back to ds after quitting 5yrs ago with the help of ds, the best thing for you to start is change routing drasticly and quickly, i also used to miss my coffee and ciggi and smoking with friends ect, but distracting made it easier,
try going for a walk, make yourself go if you feel you don't want to, it makes you feel great, take the dog out, stroke the cat, play with the kids, go shopping, in the garden weather permitting of course, arange to meet a friend instead of phoning,
use a nice flavoured mouth wash where you don't want to spoil the flavour, drink lots of water helps get rid of toxins, talk on ds as much as poss with friends,
don't think about smoking, its suprising how much better you will feel, good luck "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 01/20/13  12:41am
" So, hi all. Im joining my chosen group as a requirement for class. Im in grad school working on my degree in counseling. My employer instituted a no-smoking policy on jan 1. I DO want to quit for a tom of reasons, just never tried. I also bought an ecig that I occassionally use at my desk, but its hardly the same..I appreicate all the input Ive read here about them. Gum's been helpful, altho I must find the 'right amt' of time before getting sick from it. My smoking has decreased and Im pretty excited about that. As someone mentioned, its a process....The DELAY works pretty well too. Looking forward to the group "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 01/20/13  12:43am
" Ive had the same response when washing the yellow away too...it really is disgusting. Keep it up! Im in it with you "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 01/20/13  9:19am
" welcome tmtanguay. you will find a lot of information here. I used the patch myself, preferred it over the gum. do roll call and pledge with us each day. it will help hold you accountable. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web