Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
school
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
My son is 10 and a half years old all through school he has had an iep to no avail the work was always still too much, he's stress and anger was becoming more and more severe melt downs every single day, tears every single day, it was a job and a half! so i pulled him out last year and started homeschooling him myself, I understand that he needs certain therapies for his condition but sending him to school was making his attitude terrible and so depressed! if anyone has any advice or is going through what i am, please reach ou, i feel so alone and lostt!
Posted on 12/14/09, 08:22 pm
2 Replies Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Smith-Magenis Syndrome (SMS). We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 02/06/10  2:36pm
" I have a daughter(not with sms,but other mrdd issues)that has a lot of the same issues of a person with sms.She is taking "life skills" classes instead of being in "main stream" school.They work on teaching daily living skills,tooth brushing,hair brushing,microwave use,dishwasher use,vacuum,broom/mop,etc.They learn reading through reading directions on how "warm" something up in the microwave,how to do math by using "money".If your son is sign up with your local developmental disabilities,you should be able to have this "life skills" also.We had to have our daughter put on SSI in order to get her in with dd services.The school must comply with what your child needs.If they don't have it,it is the IEP and dd services peoples job to get it for him.Good luck and hope things go better for you. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 11/20/10  11:01pm
" Hope this helps... I just read on another website that their son was able to go to school being on Risperdal. There was a study done and he was so aggressive he couldn't finish school but after I think 3 mg of risperdal he was able to go to school full time. "

Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web