Dry mouth with Cpap
I am a new user of the Cpap machine and am adjusting slowly. After 3 or 4 hours of sleep I wake up with a very dry mouth. Would any of you have any suggestions to relieve this problem?
Posted on 04/18/08, 12:07 pm
Reminder: This is a support group for Sleep Apnea. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 08/12/08  5:10am
" I know this is a really old post and you probably will not read this now, but I will answer anyway. For me the dry mouth and a little sore throat from dry airways is almost a normal part of life for me. I use the humidifier setting on my BiPap, but I really do not think that it makes much difference at all. So, Occassionally if I wake up I will just sip water out of a water bottle to wetten things down. sorry, this is not much help! JoAnn "
Reply #2 - 08/18/08  10:43am
" You will probably laugh at me but I tape my mouth shut with two bandaids and helps really helps. My mouth stays shut all night and I don't wake up or have a dry mouth. I use the sheer ones so it doesn't hurt my skin. I'm not kidding it works. My hubby teases me and asks if I will tape my mouth shut during the day.LOL Seriously I couldn't get a good night's sleep when I kept getting up for a drink of water. I hated having my tongue so dry I couln't move it. Laugh at me if you must but it works for me. I had to experiment with positioning the bandaids but it does work. "
Reply #3 - 08/19/08  4:24am
" Thanks Vicki, that sounds like something well worth trying. I can see why hubby would delight in teasing you about daytime taping though. Onnery things... (men) lol! "
Reply #4 - 08/20/08  5:50pm
" You can get a mask with a chin strap..if you have dentures remove them....if you have natural teeth.....try rubbing some olive oil over them before sleep...just a bit....dry teeth are my worst thing..if you are sleeping in a nose mask with your mouth open you are defeating the purpose of the mask to begin with...if you have a full face mask....well you have my symapthy....they are uncomfortable to me in the extreme....but the sip of water helps as does a bit of oil on your teeth..
Hugs
sisterhood "
Reply #5 - 09/01/08  1:56am
" Thanks for all the tips! My DRY teeth are an issue with me. I am going to try the oil! "
Reply #6 - 09/01/08  11:37am
" For some reason we seem to get better at keeping our mouths closed as we gain CPAP experience. Water at bedside is good. Chin strap is helpful, oral appliance twice as helpful but very expensive. CHIN UP STRIPS are available on Internet & have helped some. "
Reply #7 - 09/01/08  11:37am
Reply #8 - 09/01/08  2:19pm
" These have been some great posts with some good ideas to try out. Thanks guys! JoAnn "
Reply #9 - 09/01/08  8:35pm
" I use the wide chin strap (appx. 3 inches) & it really helps to keep my mouth closed. I reently had to add a night guard dental applinace because I grind my teeth at night, so I'm really pretty at bedtime!

Also, if you have constant dry mouth AND other problems like dry eye, swollen glands, joint pain, frequent colds or bronchitis you might want to get to the doctor & be tested for Sjogren's Syndrome. I was diagnosed 14 years ago and having the CPAP made my drynes worse, so I also added the moisture chamber to my CPAP.

I noticed that after I added the HEATED moisturizr chamber last year, that my dry mouth has really decreased at night. "
Reply #10 - 09/02/08  11:53pm
" You can go to the website chinupstrips.com and order adhesive strips specifically made to keep your mouth closed at night. I've been using them for about a month now and they really help to keep my mouth closed, thus less dry. I tried the chin strap that went w/my mask and hated using it because it moved around too much - very uncomfortable. Good Luck!! "