Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Weight Gain
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Hi all

I have been taking plaquenil for about 6 weeks and I have definitely put on some weight...has anyone else had this happen to them?

Jenna
Posted on 06/01/10, 11:39 pm
12 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Sjogren's Syndrome. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 06/02/10  7:23am
" NO, I've never read plaquenil being a weight gain drug. Maybe something else triggered it.
Fatigue can cause weight gain fast-

Plaquenil actually can make you lose weight- read the list below.

" Side effects of Plaquenil may include:

•Nausea and vomiting
•Diarrhea and abdominal pain
•Headaches
•Dizziness or a spinning sensation (vertigo)
•Ringing in the ears (tinnitus)
•Loss of appetite
•Nightmares
•Irritability or nervousness
•Hair loss or bleaching of the hair
•Sensitivity to the sun
•Weight loss
•Changes in skin pigment (either a loss of pigment or a blue-black pigment).
•Psychotic thoughts or behaviors (such as hallucinations or delusions)
•Seizures
•Hearing loss
•Muscle weakness or numbness
•Any vision changes (Plaquenil can cause severe and permanent eye damage)
•Easy bruising or bleeding
•Frequent or severe infections
•Signs of heart problems, such as swelling of the ankles, shortness of breath, or an irregular heart rhythm (arrhythmia)
•Signs of an allergic reaction, such as:

◦An unexplained rash (Plaquenil can cause severe, life-threatening rashes)
◦Hives
◦Itching
◦Unexplained swelling (especially of the lips, mouth, or throat)
◦Wheezing or other breathing problems. " "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 06/02/10  8:54am
" I'm new to Plaquenil too, but no weight gain here. The list of side effects is formidable, though. I had not read them because I've always been afraid of medications of all types and have often suffered side effects of the few I've had to take, so now, when I have to try them in hopes of having somewhat of a normal life back, I try to avoid reading about them! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 06/03/10  7:00pm
" Oh girl friend I put on weight too. The reason could be because you are coming out of a flare. I have gained about 15 / 20 pounds over the past 4 and a half months. I do feel better and don't like the extra weight but am trying to work on it. It is stable and not going up. Are you taking any other meds that could cause the gain? I feel too good to worry too much about the weight for sure. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 06/03/10  7:01pm
" PS I also got the lightening of the hair thing.LOL. So I have more blonde...;-) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 07/19/10  5:54am
" Hi Jenna
I have put weight on but I don't think it is the plaqenil. I don't do as much exersise as I used to & probably eat too much!!

Plaquenil took a few months to have any affect for me.

Take care! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 07/20/10  9:50am
" I gained more than a little and my doctor told me that it is from the plaquenil.....he said more often it causes gain than loss. idk...i am totally frustrated right now. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 07/22/10  3:02pm
" I have been reading a book called The Fat Resistance Diet and this doctor says that inflammation leads to leptin resistance which leads to weight gain. Since inflammation goes hand in hand with SS I am going to give this a try. Anybody else tried this diet?

Tom, really? I had not heard that fatigue leads to weight gain, but lack of sleep does and I don't sleep well. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 07/24/10  7:24pm
" I too have gained weight. 15 lbs. Thats even more depressing. I kept thinking it was the Plaquenil but wasn't for sure. Maybe its different in men and women. IDK. I was thinking of joining weight watchers tomorrow and now I'm thinking of coming off of the Plaquenil. The extra weight makes it hard to do things also. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 07/25/10  8:18pm
" I have been thinking about this subject. I have steadily gained weight since they believe my SS began several years ago. The Fat Resistance Diet find that inflammation is involved with weight gain, and, of course, inflammation is par for the course with autoimmune disorders. Something to wonder about. i am going to a naturopath on Tuesday who deals with both SS and weight gain and am hoping for an answer. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 07/25/10  8:43pm
" lindoreen, please let me know if u find out anything. I'm willing to try anything. Thanks. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web