Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Feels like sand in your eyes
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Does anybody out there having a gritty feeling in their eyeballs.

Even when there's not. Could you explain what part of the eye yours is

Because I am experiencing the same thing and would just like to compare

it to somebody.
Posted on 01/29/10, 12:53 am
13 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Sjogren's Syndrome. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 01/29/10  7:51am
" Dug, you have little oil glands in your eye lids. They release a oil to protect your eyes when they get clogged it produces grit. Take a hot towel or cloth and apply it to your eyes for about 4-5minutes hot as you can stand then after the heat massage the eye lids this will release the oils.

Mine has gotten so bad I use a vaseline on my lids to keep the grit out of my eyes this can scratch the eyes surface. You'll notice the grit is basically salt. Taste but don't tell. :-)

Whenever your vision gets blurry try the hot towel method it will clear your vision. Or maybe I should say it does for me. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 01/29/10  11:42pm
" My eyes get the gritty feeling, esp in the winter; my eye doc said the gritty feeling is from dry patches of the eye . He told me to wash my eyes with baby shampoo and a warm washcloth twice day. He also said to use the restasis twice a day and over the counter eye drops as needed. I also use a humidifier and vaporizer if my eyes are really dry. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 01/30/10  12:26am
" What part of the eye does this happen to? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 01/30/10  9:30am
" I have had the gritty, prickly feeling for several years, not constantly, but often--especially at night. Then late at night when I'm trying to read, my vision becomes blurry. My eye dr. said this week that I have corneal endothelial dystrophy, probably related to Sjogren's. That doesn't mean you have that, but it may be worth a trip to an opthalmologist. I was diagnosed by my optometrist, who has some fancy new technology that finds those problems, but I plan to get a second opinion also. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 01/30/10  3:03pm
" My eyes feel pricklely and gritty at times. Even a burning sensation too. My eye sockets also hurt. Almost as if there is a sore spot.

I use Refresh in my eyes. It is a liquidgel which is made from all natural ingredience. I find it helpful and it seems to last a bit longer. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 02/01/10  1:31am
" this happens to my right eye only and it feels like something is behind my eye ball pushing it out. the majority of the pain comes from the top left part of my right eye in the crease. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 02/01/10  9:31am
" People seem to be all over the place on this , but this is the name of the grit on your lids. This will cause scratches and eye irritation bigtime. I gave the only solution I've seen to this condition above. They do have some new treatments like anti-bacterial ointments.

https://health.google.com/health/re... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 02/01/10  8:30pm
" My eyes fee like they gritty sometimes and they burn. Last Jan. I ended up in the Emergency because I thought I had glass in my eye. It turned out to be a "dendritic ulcer" to my rt. conea. It was so painful. I was immediately put on anti-viral eye drops and it cleared up the ulcer in a week. I was told that had we not caught it early, I could have had permanent damage to my eye or lost the sight in it. If I get that feeling again in my eye, Iam to go back to emerg. The drops were called " Sandoz Trifluridine " It was a prescription and it stung when I put them in. So please if you have a feeling in your eyes of glass in them, see a Dr. immediately. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 02/02/10  3:47am
" My eye doc said use the preservative free drops,as we can be allergic to the prservatives..i know i was....does anyone have the blood red eyes through the night?...mine are terrible....but the viscose eye drops are good..thick and don"t sting.....huggs to all.... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 02/02/10  7:33am
" NEVER use an eye drop with preservatives! Really bad for your eyes longterm! I personaly use Genteal Gel- and Genteal night time gel also daily I use two others. One to clear my vision while reading the other as a more oily longer lasting one. Tears Naturale Free....
Everyone needs to use as many as they can to see which ones work best for you.

September issue of the Moisture Seekers goes over the condtion. Blephartis ....
...if anyone has access to it. I can probably post parts of it without getting into trouble. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web