Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
sjogrens and fibromyalgia
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
how many of us have been diagnosed with both?
Posted on 09/23/09, 04:07 pm
30 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Sjogren's Syndrome. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 09/23/09  4:34pm
" I was first diagnosed with fibromyalga and then they told me sjogrens. I also have RA. They tried a few medicines and nothing has workd so far. I am still tired and in pain most of the day. They want to start Rituxin. Has anyone done this and if so was it helpful. I am afraid to do this. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 09/24/09  8:39am
" I have fibro and SS. Helen what symptoms do you have that made them decide to put you on Rituxin? What is it suppose to help? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 09/24/09  12:23pm
" I have both. there is something like 55% of us end up with both. hugs marilyn "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 09/25/09  9:54pm
" i have both also.... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 09/27/09  8:57am
" What is the testing for fibro? How do they determine whether you have it or not.
I know I have RA. I also thought for awhile I had Fibro , but so many symptoms cross. I also have Raynauds.
I believe once you end up with secondary all 7734 breaks loose. Intially I had dry eyes, then my mouth, then a few years later everything fell a part.
http://www.fibromyalgia-symptoms.or...

I certainly don't want to take claim to fibro , but the way things hurt at times I wonder. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 09/27/09  8:59am
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 09/27/09  2:23pm
" I also have both, was first diagnosed with IC, then IBS, Fibro, Sjogrens, RA, Peusdo tumor cerebri, and the list goes on and on. I have had them all for a long time just took a real long time for them to get them all officially diagnosed. I think it is all connected. Real scary to always wonder whats next. I'm on Imuran and its helped a little. But winter is on the way and all my symptoms are 5 times worse when it gets cold. I need to live in the Carribean (don't I wish)

Deb "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 09/28/09  10:51am
" Tom,

Your right about the symptoms of many diseases crossing/ being the same. No wonder it takes a long time to properly diagnosis people. Do a search on the American College of Rheumatology and the will tell you the criteria for fibro. But if you have dry eyes and dry mouth you may have Sjogren's too. There are blood tests sometimes called ANA 8 that identify the major connective tissue diseases. Sjogren's is similar to fibro and Lupus symptoms and the ACR criteria is listed on the web page too. Have the blood test if you haven't already. I was mis-diagnosed because my first and second rRheumy did not run the blood work. Don't let that happen to you. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 10/02/09  7:25am
" HI, I been away for a bit I have both plus Lupus and a few more lol life throws us challenges because we are the strong ones "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 10/04/09  1:39am
" I was first with fibromyalgia because all my tests came up negative even though they kept saying it sounded more like lupus... I believe I was untreated for years and thats why I am in the shape I am in now... they should have diagnosed me on my symptoms that were OVERWHELMING (butterfly rash, fevers, swollen joints, inflamation in my blood for over 6 months etc. and these doctors should not just rely on the ANA blood test which is a bad way of diagnosing... I finally got some answers when I went to the lupus center of excellence in PA where they test for everything under the sun and their labs are very sensitive. Anyway so to answer your question I have fibromyalgia, Lupus, Sjogrens, IC, asthma, SVT, costochondritis etc. etc. I am also being tested for auto-immune liver disease and some auto-immune muscle disease based on my latest lab work that is pretty sure I have both but need biopsies to be for sure... lucky me... I do however think fibromyalgia is over diagnosed... I just talked to a woman today who has been in pain for under a month and they are already telling her she has fibro which boggles my mind because the critieria is pain for at least 3 months... it's like they just want to push you off and label you with that instead of looking further... it just seems like I talk to a lot of people... friends, family etc. who just go to the doctor with some aches and pains and right away they label it as fibromyalgia... is is more complicated than that... anyway enough of my ramble... but yes it is very common to have fibromyalgia along with other auto-immune disorders... I forget what the percentage is but in the case of lupus it is a high percent number of lupus and sjogrens patients have fibromyalgia as well... "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 3 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web