Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Does crying make SS flare up?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Hello! I'm new here (and usually over at the RA forum), but I just found this group and wanted to ask a question.

I've been crying a lot today and now my eyes feel like I took a swim in a pond full of sand---I know you all understand that feeling! I've been using bottles of gel eye drops all afternoon and am now wearing goggles. You can't even imagine how stupid I look right now---think of a 35 year woman with joints swollen up like melons, filthy hair because I can't raise my arms to wash it, and NOW GOGGLES! Lucky for me, I'm not entered into any beauty pagents. ;)

Is this what happens to SS sufferers when they cry, or have I just gone completely off the deep end? It wouldn't be the first time someone's called me crazy, so let'r rip!
Posted on 07/19/08, 07:42 pm
15 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Sjogren's Syndrome. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 07/19/08  8:46pm
" IM NOT SURE ITS THE SS BUT YES THE SAME THING HAPPENS TO ME WHEN I CRY THAT IS WHEN I CANMUSTER UP SOME TEARS. DO YOU ALSO GET A BLAZING HEADACHE NO I DONT THINK YOU ARE CRAZY AND YOUR DESCRIPTION OF YOURSELF MADE ME FALL OFF MY CHAIR YOU BASICALLY DESCRIBED ME ON A GOOD DAY SO KEEP YOUR CHIN UP AND HOPEFULLY THEY WILL FIND A CURE "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 07/19/08  11:32pm
" Your not crazy I have the same symptoms...eyes swell too...wake up eyes all stuck together and swollen bad This happens if I cry and go to sleep. If I cry they also swell...This is a new symptom...cry-swell....Good luck all Don't give up "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 07/19/08  11:34pm
" I get that weird headache too like the sinus's got messed up due to the crying. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 07/20/08  7:01pm
" I haven't been able to cry, my eyes have been so dry. I felt like it the other day and my mom looked over at me and said "What in the hell are you doing? Did you eat a sour lemon? What's up?" I said "I'm crying!" and then we both had to laugh, because I just couldn't get a single darn tear out at all, so I just looked like I'd sucked a lemon.
Jeez. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 07/21/08  12:02pm
" Well, I'm not sure if I should consider myself lucky that I can still muster the tears or feel sorry for myself because I am constantly bawling. Trust me, if I could have worn googles to work today, I would have. The thing that helps my eyes, nose and head is to stick my face in a stream of hot water for as long as I can stand it. That usually helps the joints too, so I can dry off afterward. Hang in there everyone! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 07/21/08  1:30pm
" Wow. I really had no idea that some people have eyes so dry that they can't produce tears---that surely does $uck! Lh8, your story about looking like you were eating lemons gave me quite the laugh. :)

Txtwinmom, your comment about the water gave me an idea. I take a lot of warm baths to help my joints: I wonder if you disolve maybe a half cup of salt in the bath water to make a nice saline solution, if you could open your eyes under the water to get some relief? I think I might try that if I can find enough salt around here. Has anyone else done anthing like that?

To others who get headaches, yes, I do get them with the eye pain when I'm having crying fits. Not good!

I don't know if other people here routinely wear goggles or not, but when my dad had graves eye disease they were a saving grace for him. It keeps the air from blowing over your eyes when you walk---however I will say they don't do a whole lot to enhance your fashion.

If you don't want to do goggles, another great help are those "Fit Over" sunglasses---these are the kind of sunglasses you wear over regular eyeglasses (though you can wear them without eyeglasses under them too). The reason I love them so much is because they have a plastic pieces on the top and bottom that are similiar to goggles, but they look a whole lot better.

Thanks to everyone who responded, and good luck keeping those membranes moist! :) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 07/22/08  12:32am
" I wanted to know if anyone has found a way to decrease the amount of flareups we have "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 07/22/08  10:01am
" I try to stay away from crying because even though I can produce tears only when I cry it increases my constant head pain. Has anyone found anything that helps the head pain? I usually lie down on a heating pad. Also what googles can you wear to work? I have googles for sleeping. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 07/22/08  10:35am
" Well I don't think I could wear goggles to work per se, as that would probably freak the patients out! The kind of goggles I like for home are the kind sky divers wear to block wind (and no, this crippled body doesn't jump out of planes!). Search for "extreme sport glasses." Example:

http://store.outlaweyewear.com/cros...

Personally I've found swim goggles block too much of my side vision, but maybe there are some fancier ones out there that wouldn't be so bad. If you wear regular eyeglasses like I do sometimes, check Walmart (or the internet)for the "Fit Over" sunglasses---I swear by these, and if the lens isn't too dark you can wear them inside (possibly even to work). "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 07/22/08  3:29pm
" Ladies, I just had to share this - I mentioned the prospect of wearing goggles to my mother, who is a nurse that has chronic dry eye due to non-SS medical reasons. She says that when she does not have eye drops handy, she gently massages her eyelids, right under the crest of her eyebrows. According to mom, there are tear glands/ducts there and the massage releases enough fluid to moisten her eyes. That may not work for those that do not have much tear production left, and I am not confident enough of my anatomy knowledge to confirm this, but I thought anything is worth a try if you don't have eyedrops handy!

As far as working with eye-strain -- I work in an office and stare at the compter all day. Sometimes it helps to dim the lights and work only by the light of the monitor. People here do it in efforts to be "green" so I blend right in :)

For those killer headaches, I use a heated corn bag. Someone (sorry, I forgot who it was) posted a "recipe" for a rice sock which is basically the same thing. I put the heated bag around my neck and it is portable enough to take to work and re-heat in the microwave any time. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web