Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Sinus problems with Sjogren's??
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Quick question. Has anyone heard of constant sinus congestion/drainage being a Sjogren's related issue? I only ask because I've had a slew of symptoms over the years, most of which have been explained with this diagnosis, but the sinus thing is still kind of a mystery. I haven't seen anything in the literature that suggests these things are linked, but I thought I'd get the opinion of the people who know. ;) Any of you experience sinus issues with this disease? Just curious.
Posted on 02/01/13, 06:33 pm
28 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Sjogren's Syndrome. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 02/01/13  9:55pm
" I am after the same answer. I have had constant sinus for years now. Apparently my Sjogren's came from radioactive iodine treatment for an over active thyroid. DR said that iodine was taken up by the salivary glands. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 02/02/13  4:11am
" I don't know what is causing it but my sinuses drain down the back of my throat when I try to sleep. Everytime I eat my nose drips(weird). I get sneezing spells. My sinuses are always in action. I think it is because of ss. Everything on me inside & out is dry except my nose. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 02/02/13  1:36pm
" One of the first things I read about Sjogrens was that sinus problems went with it. I had raging sinus infections for 4 or 5 years before the Sjogrens became a problem. I had a blocked sinus, so I had surgery to fix that. Immediately after the surgery I felt like the faucet had been turned on! I have found that not eating dairy foods eases the flow somewhat, but lately it's gotten worse! My drainage causes me to cough, choke, and keeps the Kleenex industry healthy. My nose also drips. So embarrassing! In mid-conversation or at dinner, I suddenly feel the drip on my upper lip, just like all the elderly ladies in the alzheimer's facility my mother used to live in! If I eat even a bite of a cream sauce, it's even worse. I recently had a blood test that is supposed to show all the foods I'm sensitive to, so I plan to try to change my diet to see if that works.

Good luck! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 02/04/13  2:54pm
" Well I guess it's good to know that I'm not alone! lol I've said the same thing Cindy, that this disease dries up everything except what I want it to!! I'd love for it to dry up my sinuses, my oily skin and hair, and my excessively sweaty armpits (sorry, maybe TMI)!! I live in the Ohio valley, and allergies are particularly bad here, but even when I was getting allergy shots (for over 3 years) the drainage was the same, so I figured it wasn't being caused by allergies. Now I know it's just one more thing I can chalk up to SS and that I'll just have to continue to deal with. Thanks guys!! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 02/04/13  5:17pm
" Very interesting. I've had issues with recurring sinus infections for as many years as I've had the other Sjogren's symptoms.

Also, I too, had the radioactive iodine treatment for a hyperactive thyroid. I actually had to have it done twice because they did not destroy enough of the thyroid the first time. I never thought that could have anything to do with the Sjogren's. I just learn something new everyday on this site. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 02/05/13  4:07am
" I have problems with my sinus, though not quite as severe as some here. I finally figured out something that helps! I run a humidifier at night. I started warm water therapy a couple of months ago, and very quickly noticed how the humidity helped.
It is not a cure, but it does help. A little eucalyptus oil is very nice. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 02/05/13  5:44am
" I'm another SS patient with sinus issues! Congestion and drainage, and everything else is SO dry. I do have allergies, so take allergy shots, use Nasonex steroid spray and Astelin antihistamine spray (not drying like taking oral pills i.e. Benadryl), but I still should own stock in Kleenex. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 02/06/13  10:30pm
" One thing I do that seems to keep congestion to a minimum, particularly chest congestion, is take Mucinex every day. I thought it wasn't helping until I ran out and quit taking it for a few days. I woke up in the mornings with a stuffy nose and thick gunk to cough up. It may also cause the drippy nose to be worse, but it didn't seem any different when I wasn't taking them. I also took Flonase and Astelin, but I had to stop because they were causing my nose to bleed. Stopping those meds made no difference at all...Has anybody tried QNasal? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 02/07/13  3:00pm
" Sinus and lungs can all be dried out from SS. I have both. You can get pain from both. I used to get post nasal drip but think I am too dry for that now. Used to get pretty bad sinus headaches and just plain old dryness pain from my sinus's. Those have gotten better. The humidifier (I prefer the warm vapor) in the dry months certainly has helped me tremendously. We have moist summers (I live in VA), so I really only seem to need the extra humidity in the winter when it gets very dry here. Try the vaporizer route for the dryness. I think you will find relief. Just make sure you keep the vaporizer clean because, with SS, you will not have the extra filters in your noise and mouth that a normal person would have, so you have to be more careful than the normal person in what you breath in. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 02/11/13  2:12pm
" Add me to the group of sinus sufferers! I live in Florida where the humidity helps except every place is frigidly air conditioned. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 3 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web