Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
losing weight
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I desperately need to lose 30 pounds. A really bad thing against me is I am short (5'3"). How in the world can I possibly do that when I have no strength or energy & all my joints hurt so bad? I have so many of the sjogren's syndrome symptoms plus more from other ailments. Fatigue is the worst to deal with when it comes to this. Arthritis doesn't help either. Being limited on foods I can eat without choking to death is against me. All of it is against me. It is not just the weight but being so much out of shape too. Of all Drs. it was my dermatologist that commented on my FAT belly. Does anyone else have this weight problem &or large abdomen problem? They say the big middle is dangerous. With all our problems, what can we do? It is simple to say what we SHOULD do such as exercise & diet but doing it is far from simple. Health wise it is really dangerous. Look wise it is depressing. I've gained weight everywhere including my feet. I have lost alot of teeth from them chipping off. In spite of moisture cream my skin is all dried out & looks it. When it comes to sex, I want to hide myself. I sure lost desire. I desperately need help on how to deal with this. What can I do?!?
Posted on 08/30/12, 01:24 am
2 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Sjogren's Syndrome. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 08/31/12  7:08pm
" I wish I knew what to tell you to do. I wish I knew of some magic trick that would instantly make it easier for you, but there just isn't anything. I'm lucky in that my SS is mild, and my worst symptoms are the dry eyes and mouth. I don't have the joint pain or fatigue that so many of you have, so I am still able to exercise. That is really what makes me feel the best. I don't do anything too vigorous, just taking a walk around my neighborhood and some light yoga/stretching are enough to make me feel like a million bucks! I've changed my diet drastically since my diagnosis, more as a way to get healthy than to lose weight, but because of that I've managed to lose almost 50 lbs! I have about 30 more to go, but I'll get there. My only advice would be to experiment with new and different types of foods and supplements that could possibly give you more energy, and perhaps make it possible for you to start exercising. If you could just get started, I know it would help tremendously, and the more you do it, the better you'll feel, and the more you'll be able to do. A really great supplement to try is Moringa. It's a plant-based whole food supplement you can get fairly cheap online, and it's full of all kinds of wonderful vitamins and minerals. Maybe that will help ease some of your symptoms enough to be able to start a light exercise routine. I just hope you can find something that helps, I know that losing weight will also make you feel better. Good luck! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 09/26/12  12:37am
" Are you on any kind of pain management? If not that may be your first priority. Nothing helps 100% but it may be enough to let you move more and do some walking. It is true it will actually make you feel better if you can do it.

As far as diet goes I try to stay away from most processed foods and bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, etc. I sort of go with the caveman diet. Meat, fish, green leafy veggies, fruits and nuts such as walnuts, pecans, almonds, etc. I know you have the choking problem, but so do I and I still manage to eat plenty of food I just try to make the right choices.

I do take Tramadol regularly on a daily basis, and go to my chiropractor when back and muscle pain get to be too much. It really does help.

This will never go away but you must not let yourself feel like the victim. You have to be stronger than the illness. There are times that it blows me away for sure but other times when it is not so bad I try to do the things that I know will help some. Some sort of activity every single day is a must for both your physical and mental health even if it is just cleaning a room or walking for 20 minutes when the weather is nice. Keep moving.............and hang in there. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web