Nose itching.....along with ears???
I saw that someone posted about itching inside ears....I've had this for awhile and thought it was just me, or allergies or just the itchies of menopause.
But as my skin has changed--I've started to get itchy sometimes scaly spots on my eyelids also (excema??) and under my nose!!!
OMG there are times it even wakes me up at nite.... it's not really red, or swollen like an allergic reaction.....sometimes a bit of peeling. I do blow my nose alot--which can cause irritation....but the itching is just around the outside of nostrils and a tiny bit up the sides in that curvy area. I've tried to cut out foods, or watch soap etc. No help here.
Does this sound familliar to anyone??? Suggestions??
Thanks....
Posted on 02/13/10, 10:48 pm
Reminder: This is a support group for Sjogren's Syndrome. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 02/14/10  7:45pm
" Sorry to hear about the itching. I can't say that I have excessive itching, however, my skin is changing and one of the things that cropped up and appears off and on is my eyelids get dry and even peel... right in the crease of the upper lid. About 8 months ago I was severly B12 deficient. Once I got that under control the peeling eyelids disappeared... so I was left thinking that some of the skin manifestations could actually be some kind of deficiency... I had both iron deficiency anemia and B12 deficiency so I got the double whammy! You might check those things with your Dr... hope this helps. "
Reply #2 - 02/15/10  1:19am
" Thanks RenneG, I've had the same eyelid thing...I'll check the b vitamins. It's all such a balancing act!!
Blessings... "
Reply #3 - 02/15/10  3:03am
" Yup, i get that; some days I just can't seem to get rid of the itch. I was thinking it was from allergies as I do have some allergies, however, it is winter and I still have the itching, so I wonder if the problem may be a yeast related problem and not allergies.

I hope someone else may have an answer on how to deal with it. "
Reply #4 - 03/31/10  8:11pm
" Good1...I have extremely dry skin...and often ITCH everywhere! However, I ALSO have the itching INSIDE my EARS & NOSE! I've been experiencing the "internal ear itching" for over a decade now...but this "internal nose itching" just started this past year! It gets sooo intense, that it sets off a sneezing spell that seems to last forever! And the ears...well, sometimes I "scratch" them by "vibrating" my little pinky finger...inside my ear. Everyone thinks I'm nuts when I do this...but it seems to help. I also seem to get the "BUZZING/VIBRATING inside my ears either prior...or just after the itching. However, lately I've noticed that when I clean out my ears (daily) that there is a strange brownish liquid coming out of them! I thought at first that maybe it was dried blood...but it's too "liquidy" to be dry...so...Idk?? Maybe blood mixed with wax? Sounds yucky I know! I was also wondering if it had anything to do with the fact that I've been having problems with my "parotid salivary glands" (at least that's the general area) swelling lately?? Does anyone else have this???
~tj "
Reply #5 - 03/31/10  11:10pm
" Ya, that same nose thing was going on with me when my SS just started. I never really hooked that into the SS. Maybe is was my SS. hmmmmm.... "
Reply #6 - 08/16/10  9:20pm
" My hands and ears itch a lot, which is not surprising since our skin tends to be dry. I am using Gold Bond lotion and it is working great! "
Reply #7 - 08/17/10  3:35pm
" The nurse who worked for my ENT suggested a drop of mineral oil in each ear once a week. It made a huge improvement and reduced the tinnitis too. It might be worth a try.

Mineral oil can be purchased at any drug store and some supermarkets. If you can't find it plain, Baby Oil is the same thing except that it smells like babies. "
Reply #8 - 08/19/10  12:52am
" I have had the itchy ears for quite sometime now. The skin inside my ears seem very irritated as well and it almost hurts. It comes and goes but seems to be worse when I lay down at night. Thank you for the suggestion abt the mineral oil. "
Reply #9 - 08/19/10  4:01pm
" I have the ear itching as well it sometimes leads to outer ear infections. One time it got so bad it caused a cyst in one of my ears and i had to have it surgically removed. Finally the dr decided it was from inflamation of the skin in my ear and prescribed some steroid drops called betanethasone dipropionate lotion USP 0.05%. I start using it once a day when they start itching for about a week and it takes care of it thank goodness, don't want another cyst. I also get the eye lid itching and peeling and I've just been treating that myself with hydrocortisone ointment it seems to help. I had sinus problems as well the itching and chronic sinus infections, had to have sinus surgery to inlarge the passages inside and clean out the infection and have since been on flonase (steroid nasal spray) and have had very minimal sinus problems. Having an autoimmune disease, as Im sure you all know can cause inflamation anywhere inside or on the outside of our bodies. Treatments usualy has something to do with steroids. I hope this helps someone :-) "
Reply #10 - 08/25/10  11:00am
" I don't know how many of you may be on Plaquenil or the generic, but I do know that it can cause itching. Doesn't mean you have to stop taking it, but perhaps talk to your docs about it. Maybe lowering the dose like in my case or a different manufacturer might help. I am not saying that is what is causing your itching, but I do know it can be a cause of it. "