Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
Salavary Gland Swelling and Thick Saliva
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
About once a month my Salivary glands start to bother me and start swelling. When I massage them, I get a thick white/yellowish solid disharge that is like long stretchy rubberbands. Sometimes the swelling that goes along with this is severe and sometimes it is tolerable.

I am currently going through testing for Sjogrens, my SS-A and SS-B came back negative. I had a eye biopsy that was negative, and next week I will have a Salivary Gland Biopsy. A year ago my ANA came back positive. I have also recently been treated for Thyroid cancer and B12 Deficiency.

This has been going on for at least 15 years and just cant take it any more!! It leaves my face swollen for several days after each episode. No doctors as of yet know what it is or seem to want to bother to find out.

Does anyone else out there get these symptoms with what is coming out of my salivary glands along with my saliva? Is this extremly thickened saliva? It seems to produce it very quickly, as a lot of it comes out during each episode and the onset is very sudden.

Thank You!!!!!
Posted on 12/01/09, 10:33 am
3 Replies Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Sjogren's Syndrome. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 12/01/09  5:26pm
" Hi. I get the sweling inside of my mouth. Both my mouth and tongue feel swollen most of the time, but sometimes worse than others. I do not have anything like what you are describing with the yellow stuff. I have a hard time getting comfortable sleeping sometimes because my tongue and mouth feel so swollen that my tongue is pushing my teeth apart and I bite on my tongue, making it worse.

I did test positive for ANA and Sjogrens disease. I also have fibromyalgia and Lupus. So sometimes, it's hard to tell what is being caused by what. I also have a thyroid problem that my doctor is keeping an eye on currently.

I hope they find out what your problem is soon. Good luck! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 03/11/10  3:17pm
" That's how my SS started. My glands between my ear and chin would swell like a grapefruit. Oh my gosh it hurt so bad I cried like a baby. My skin would be so stretched I thought my face was going to explode. My doctor would put me on an antibiotic because he thought my gland was infected. The antibiotic would work though, as far as bringing the swelling down.

It was a few years after the swelling started that my mouth and eyes started to be dry. It took several days for each swelling episode to go away. It was happening every month or so for 2 or 3 years.

I started chewing gum a lot and that helped and when the swelling started I would push on my gland and slide my hand forward towards my mouth. As I pushed that would force the saliva to squirt out into my mouth and that seemed to keep the swelling down and sometimes even keep it from swelling. The saliva was thick like what your talking about.

After the first few years the swelling episodes stopped and I have no idea why, unless the glands are so destroyed now that there is nothing left to swell.

I feel for you, that whole swelling deal is so very painful. I'm so sorry you have to go through that. I hope it gets better soon. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 03/13/10  8:38pm
" Interesting! had thyroid cancer also. When and how much radioactive iodine did you have? That I-131 can definitely give you thick ropey saliva and increased swelling of the parotid.

The lining inside my cheeks also used to come off like a snake skin regularly.

I really am not sure what comes out of your salivary glands...can you save some for your doc?

B12 deficiency can make your tongue swell, I have heard. "

Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web