Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
Synovial Fluid Replacement Therapy
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I have very little fluid in my knee joints because of Sjogren's. Has anyone ever had their fluid replaced? My doc says it will just drain away again. I sure don't want to undergo painful injections if it doesn't work or if it's just going to last a week or so.

Help!
Posted on 11/21/10, 12:56 pm
5 Replies Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Sjogren's Syndrome. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 11/21/10  1:04pm
" My husband had this treatment and it did NOTHING for him! From what I understand it either works or doesn't with no in between. I hope that if you decide to have this done you are one that it helps! It wasn't to bad pain wise, he was sore at the injection site for a few hours.
-Well Wishes
Jackie "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 11/21/10  5:03pm
" Thanks, Jackie
Does he have Sjogren's? I'm sorry it didn't work for him. I know they use this treatment for people with Osteoarthritis, but I've never heard anyone say if it helps with Sjs or not.
Thanks again. - I hope he gets better. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 11/22/10  6:53pm
" Hello. About ten years before my dx of Sjogren's, I had two knee replacements. Before the knee replacements I tried the Synvisc for six months and had very little relief from it. My knees were bone-on-bone for almost five years prior to that, so it could have been they were just too far gone. Good luck and I hope it helps! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 11/22/10  11:43pm
" Nitrategal, No my husband has fibro but negative for Sjogren's, I was blessed with that special gift. He has had problems with his knees since an injury in Saudi while active duty, 2 surgeries on right and 3 on the left. He needs total replacements on both but they say he's to young (49) and won't do the replacements and tried this instead. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 11/23/10  8:24am
" http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/tre...

Even if it doesn't work for pain it has inflammation properties that will protect he joint from further damage, supposedly.

"Does Synvisc actually help knee arthritis?
Numerous studies have investigated the effectiveness of Synvisc as a treatment for knee arthritis. Studies have ranged in their results from no benefit when compared to placebo injections, to significant pain relief for 6 months from the time of the injections. However, no clear understanding of how well Synvisc injections perform has emerged. Most orthopedic surgeons will agree that there is likely a temporary benefit of Synvisc injections, but in the long-term, additional treatments are likely to be necessary." "

Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web