11/11/14
ENA Screening 
0 By janetwhite35
11/02/14
Anyone use Biotene for a dry, burn... 
5 By wornout77
10/28/14

Sjogren's Syndrome Information

Sjogren's syndrome is an autoimmune disorder in which immune cells attack and destroy the exocrine glands that produce tears and saliva. It is named after Swedish ophthalmologist Henrik Sjogren (1899-1986), who first described it. Sjogren's syndrome is also associated with rheumatic disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis, and it is rheumatoid factor positive in 90 percent of cases. The hallmark symptoms of the disorder are dry mouth and dry eyes (part of what are known as sicca symptoms). In addition, Sjogren's syndrome may cause skin, nose, and vaginal dryness, and may affect other organs of the body, including the kidneys, blood vessels, lungs, liver, pancreas, and brain. Nine out of ten Sjogren's patients are women and the average age of onset is late 40s, although Sjogren's occurs in all age groups in both women and men. It is estimated to strike as many as 4 million people in the United States alone making it the second most common autoimmune rheumatic disease.

There is neither a known cure for Sjogren's syndrome nor a specific treatment to permanently restore gland secretion. Instead, treatment is generally symptomatic and supportive. Moisture replacement therapies such as artificial tears may ease the symptoms of dry eyes (some patients with more severe problems use goggles to increase local humidity or have punctal plugs inserted to help retain tears on the occular surface for a longer time). Additionally, Ciclosporin is available by prescription to help treat chronic dry eye by suppressing the inflammation that disrupts tear secretion. Prescription drugs are also available that help to stimulate salivary flow, such as cevimeline and pilocarpine. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs may be used to treat musculoskeletal symptoms. For individuals with severe complications, corticosteroids or immunosuppressive drugs may be prescribed. Also, disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs (DMARDs) such as methotrexate may be helpful.

Health Blogs

I often hear, “I’ve never had a chest x-ray, do I need one?” Whether it’s during your annual physical or for a visit before your surgery (a preoperative clearance) many ask whether they need a chest x-ray. Unless you are having symptoms that are worrisome for lung findings (fever, cough, shortness of breath, etc) you don’t. Save ... Read More »

1) Do I need an annual physical?

As many of you know Medicare does NOT cover annual physicals... so the question is do you really need one?

For females over 40 you need to come in for an annual mammogram, and either a once a year or every three years (in low- risk folks) Pap ... Read More »

Member Photos

Advertisement

Latest Activity