Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Muscle weakness
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Has anyone suffered with weakness and fatigue in their leg muscles throughout this? The rash has healed but still burns him and even reddens a little.
Posted on 07/18/07, 12:38 pm
10 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Shingles. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 07/18/07  6:22pm
" I am quite fatigued and suffer sever muscle weekness and pain in my legs, however I am not sure it is Shingles related as my shingles was on my head and forehead and I also have osteoperosis and pettella femoral pain syndrome in both knees. I know feeling fatigued is a normal symptom when recovering from shingles or even PHN but I am not sure of the latter. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 07/18/07  7:17pm
" Thanks for your post. It actually helps me a lot because I don't think it matters where the shingles is, the weakness felt in your muscles is a side effect of it, or so I read. I'm sorry you've suffered too. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 07/20/07  10:08am
" I could not believe the fatigue and weakness I experienced with shingles and continue to experience with PHN. It weakens your whole body, not just the affected area. It is very debilitating. Sometimes when I exert myself, I break out in a sweat like I have run a marathon. I also get short of breath. Will this ever improve? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 07/20/07  10:26pm
" Funny you guys mention this, I have been telling my family I'm so utterly exhausted lately, all I can do is work my full time job and come home and nap. I have very little "extra" energy. I had shingles (on my forehead) the entire month of March, and I am only recently starting to feel "like my old self". I still don't have an abundance of energy, but it is definitely improving, little by little. It doesn't happen overnight, that's for sure. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 07/21/07  11:02am
" Hi Julia, the fatigue is part of the illness and sometimes it lasts long after the skin component has healed up. I have had a lot of illness and severe pain in my life (e.g., kidney stones and major abdominal surgery) but none of these pains came anywhere near the pain from the shingles. The day I was diagnosed, I took my medication and lay down in my bed and tried not to move anything because even the slightest movement sent shooting, stabbing pains in the affected area (neck and arm). I wanted to cry but didn't because crying caused too much pain. I thought how can I go on and live in this condition when I can't even move. So it seems I had a severe case of shingles. The rash cleared up fast but the pain, fatigue, fevers, weakness lasted for months. My right shoulder and arm still have quite decreased sensation compared to my left although the motor component is totally intact. I asked my doctor if I would get the sensation back to normal ever and his response was "hopefully" but no guarantee. Kind of scary how this virus can attack the body in this way forever changing it. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 07/22/07  11:08am
" I was just diagnosed with shingles yesterday, and I am already experiencing this type of fatigue. I was never a very fatigued guy before; I ride my bike to work each day (12 hour round trip), go to the gym to lift weights, etc. But now I have trouble staying awake watching TV. Shingles is really not going to be fun, is it? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 07/23/07  3:55am
" I do suffer with fatigue sometimes, not as much as I was but I have bad days, rash is still there but is lighter. I have a very painful place will occur on my back and front at the same time and bore right through me! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 09/10/07  4:55pm
" My sympathy to all of you. You've involuntarily now a part of "the shingles club". In addition to pain and fatigue, you may also notice less ability in coordination.

For such a funny-sounding name for a disease (Shingles), I find NOTHING very funny about it at all. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 09/17/07  10:16am
" Good morning everyone! I was diagnosed with Shingles in 1999 but had them for 2 years before actually being diagnosed. Unfortunatley all the side effects mentioned are commom for Shingles. Also, the pain can remain for years afte the lesions are gone. When mine started, I would break out once a month, and after about 5 yrs they became so bad I would break out twice a month. I would actually break out in Shingles on top of Shingles that had'nt even healed yet! They burn, itch and in some instances will bleed. Befor I scare anyone, my dr's told me I was "textbook" and this is rare in most people. I take Valtrex daily for prevention, and Famvir when I am actually broken out. Nothing works for me but I continue to take the meds. I have taken everything there is and have also had injections to each and every Shingle..ouch!!!!

On the up side, most people get who get Shingles will only have them once and I hope this is the case for some of you here.

This is such a debilitating desease and I feel so sorry for anyone who has had them. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 09/17/07  2:32pm
" I had 2 out breaks in a month and a half. I still have pain daily. I take Gabapentin and Relafen. BUt yes I have the wekens and pain in my legs and ankles "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web