Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
shingle 3 times in a year
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
i have had shingles for 3 years now, i got it 3 times in the first year & then the 2nd year i got it twice & this year i am on my 2nd time already with shingles, i have been told it is rare to get it that number of times, but i wondered how many times do others get it as i do not know anyone else who as had shingle, & what treatment does everyone else use as it is really getting me dowm.
Many thanks for nany help you can give me.
Posted on 05/11/07, 02:44 pm
8 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Shingles. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 05/11/07  11:46pm
" I found reliable info on the web that says:

" Most people who seem to experience multiple episodes of shingles are probably having recurrent infection with a related herpes simplex virus and not true shingles." "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 05/12/07  12:21am
" annann ... shingles is challenging ... my husband suffered this debilitating condition for a year .. going from 182 lbs. down to 139... but, he made it .. his face recovered also .. his weight is back up too .. I'll come back tomorrow with more detail on how we handled this huge problem. COOL WATER poured over my husband's head during Pain Attacks and PRAYER helped throughout this difficult and stressful time. My love made it .. though there were days when he was ready to give up .. he didn't ... and, we are
very thankful for his life, our life to-gether ... ANNANN WE CARE ABOUT YOU .. WE LOVE YOU ... WE WILL HELP YOU AS MUCH AS WE CAN ... TALK TO YOU TOMORROW FRIEND. HUGS to Special You,
Love .. Smiles .. Happiness
Your Forum Friend, Blessings "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 07/08/07  11:43am
" At first I had them for 2 years straight. One breakout on top of another. That was 23 years ago. Now, I have 4 or less a year. My naturopath gave me "Larrea RX". That was the answer to my prayers. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 07/10/07  1:50am
" Annann...you should be seeing a neurologist. They will start you on a combo of meds. that you can tolerate that might help your pain. Everybody is different in the success. Lyrica is very good med. along with antidepressents. I am on Nortriptyline(10 mg x 2 at nite. I have been on Lyrica for a year starting with 6 to 7 pills a day. down to two a day(50 mg) But now it doesn't seem to do me any good. I am also doing acupuncture along with Chinese herbs...the jury is still out of that too. But you should also have a pain medicine so you can get through the rough times...I am now back on 1/2 a percaset a day. Try to keep yourself active as possible, daily walks, diversion, family and friends. It all helps.. I would love to help anyway I can. God Bless you and lots of hugs for you. Dolores "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 09/17/07  12:55pm
" All of these post are so old I don't know whether to reply or not? I wonder why there is so little discussion in this community, but let me just say that the only way to be 100% sure if you have Shingles is to be biopsied.That's what my dr did. He took whole Shingles from different areas ( closed with a single stitch) and sent them off. I too had constant outbreaks, and allthough it's mot the norm to have them that way, it does happen. I feel for you from my own experience and my list of meds that I have tried and am on now, are in the previous post. Good luck. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 09/17/07  4:35pm
" Hello,

I had those awful Shingles for the first time and hopefully the last time back in July for almost a month. My doctor gave me Acyclovir - 800mg 30 tabs taken 3x per day. It still did not help my extreme pains (had it on my stomach, side and lower back) and I almost overdosed on Tylenol extra strength pills that I was also taking about 2 at least 4 or more times a day.......when my pains got worse and I called my doctor, he told me to stop immediately taking the Tylenol because I was about to ruin my kidneys...whooooo! But eventually I got over everything, still have the scars to look at though, even though I don't really.

My heart goes out to you........I know Shingles can be caused by lots of stress and a low immune system and the some of the stress in my personal life, I could avoid probably if I could just get myself to give up my current BF for good and move on. I will eventually probably before this year is out. But I do pray that my shingles don't return to attack me again. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 10/23/07  11:39am
" I noticed your profile mentioned only acyclovir cream as a treatment. Is that the only treatment you've been given? I'd look at the treatment listed on this website and at some of the comments on them. You could be getting better results with one of the other antivirals, using a drug like gabapentin, plus using painkillers, and feeling maybe a little better. Ask your doc about additional or different treatment. Also, think about the shingles vaccine--I'm going to get it as soon as this episode clears up. We've both been affected many times and anything that might help seems appropriate. Good luck! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 11/04/07  12:57am
" Annann
After your doc makes sure it is recurrent shingles (as many have mentioned on this post) you can take suppressive doses of Valtrex daily (either 500 or 1000 mg a day)
Dr O. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web