Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
Does this ever really go away?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I have on-going problems with exhaustion, mental confusion, blurred vision, tremors and I sleep way too much. It's been three months since I developed a severe case of Shingles, even though the Shingles are gone, except for the PHP, I cannot get my life back. I have not been able to return to work, I can't keep my apartment clean, and I live on stuff like yogurt and cereal because I don't have the energy or desire to cook.
I have had so many tests to see if these symptoms are caused by something else, with no luck. Anybody else out there with these problems? Any advice?
genAtlanta
Posted on 08/19/07, 04:00 pm
3 Replies Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Shingles. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 08/19/07  11:27pm
" I had shingles of the forehead the entire month of March, and while I *did* return to work after a week of the onset, I can tell you I truly felt like crap, and only returned to work because I was at risk of losing my job, and I couldn't afford to.
The fatigue I had for MONTHS after my shingles outbreak was unreal. I had no energy whatsoever, I worked and slept. My days off I slept. Doing anything "extra", even fun stuff like going to a movie, was all but impossible.
Five months later I am feeling more like "normal" than I have in a long time, but I still find if I get stressed, or if I get something simple, like a cold, I am knocked flat all over again.
From what my doc told me, this is all to be expected, shingles can affect you long after the rash is over. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 09/07/07  3:16pm
" Dear genAtlanta:
My singles lasted about 18 months but the left midriff area still remains sensitive some years later! It is ok & smart not to cook...just include the convenient foods of fresh fruits and veggies, plus peanut butter & other nuts. Your cereal & yogurt are very good choices.
Your symptoms pretty much describe how I felt also. It is truly tough-going for some individuals. Be thankful that you are ABLE to sleep...I could not get comfortable enough to sleep much. I found medicines to be of no help. Time is your friend...things will become better for you I believe & I will keep you in my prayers. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 09/07/07  3:25pm
" Julia1953 & genAtlanta;
It is probably important to take multi-vitamin supplements to help your immunity system get back on its feet and up and running again. I continue to take them long afterwards, hopefully to guard against contracting Shingles ever again. I also recently took the anti-shingles shot. My arm is still very sore from it. I wonder if everyone has arm pain as I am experiencing from getting the shot? "

Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web