How to use DailyStrength
We're on Facebook
Check out our page
Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
Is the Sun Good or Bad for Shingles Rash?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Hello everyone. My name is Tanya, and I'm going into my 4th week of Shingles. Started Valtrex on the 2nd day of the rash, and it worked almost immediately. I have the rash on the right side; from my fingertips, up my arm, and on my shoulder. My question: Should I stay out of the sun completely until the post-rash goes away completely, or- should I get in the sun a little bit, i.e., will the sun help with the healing? My concerns: 1. could th sun cause the rash to flare up, and/or- 2. cause permanent scarring and discoloration? Any info. from those that have 'been there' will REALLY be appreciated.

Peace and Healing to you all :-)

Tanya
Posted on 06/10/08, 08:32 pm
3 Replies Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Shingles. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 06/23/08  12:43am
" I don't know if this is any help. But my doc told me that heat will cause irritation, I think the sun would be good as long as you don't overdo it.
Take care! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 07/01/08  3:37pm
" Stay away from sun and getting sunburn on the area. I had shingles in 2005, and I still cannot stand being in the sun for any length of time. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 07/02/08  5:31pm
" My doctor said the sun can irritate the area you had shingles on for years, and to keep the sun off that area whenever possible. He also told me cold weather will irritate that area, and even air conditioning blowing directly onto that area can cause numbness and tingling that may not completely go away. I'd keep the sun off the area if I were you. "

Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web